I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 06:24:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  this made me feel soooooo good..
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: this made me feel soooooo good..  (Read 2789 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: October 02, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »

I helped out as a preparer/server at our local soup kitchen. I can't tell you how rewarding that was. It was the best I felt in a long time. I totally understand how and why people give thier time to people in other ountries even. We're all human beings just trying to help each other out in the long run. I would give up my Thanksgiving day and Christmas to do it again no problem.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:36:55 PM »

This is one of the biggest reasons I hate this disease; I don't have the energy any more to do volunteer work.  I've always volunteered.  I lied about my age when I was 17 and became a blood donor.  Can't do that anymore.  For a while, I was a translator at The Texas Heart Institute in Houston (in the medical center, if any of you are familiar with it).  Once I moved to England, I became a blood donor there, too, and I volunteered as a support person for parents whose child had just been diagnosed with having any sort of special need.  When I returned to the US, I volunteered at our local hospital, and I was in the process of being trained to be a literacy volunteer through the local library system.  But then I just ran out of energy and had to start spending more and more time with more and more doctors, and I can barely get out of bed in the morning, much less actually be a valuable human being who can help other people.  It is the most frustrating and soul-destroying experience I've ever had.  I would love to get that feeling back...that feeling you get when you do something that helps someone, you know?

I have given up my Thanksgiving and/or Christmas in the past.  I am hoping and praying that one day, I'll have the energy to do it again.  Good for you, ts, for volunteering your time.  I'm sure you will be blessed.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:37:33 AM »

TS...GOOD FOR YOU!  :clap;    Helping someone else is one of the best ways to fight depression in our own lives.  I have worked at a local soup kitchen and also volunteered at a nursing home and agree, it is very rewarding.  It makes my problems seem pretty small when I see life from a different perspective.   :grouphug;

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:34 PM »

That's right Looney, sometimes when you think you've got it so bad, you see someone is a worse position. One day at a time, right?

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Traveller1947

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:25:49 PM »

Nothing feels better than helping another person.  But you know that already, texasstyle--you're a caregiver!  To MooseMom: You help people here every day with your input and insight.  Don't give up on becoming a literacy volunteer either.  You may not believe it now, but after you start dialysis and things settle down, you'll feel at least somewhat better.  You may just find you have enough energy for that!  Very rewarding...
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »

Coming so soon after your sex question on the Dialysis: General Discussion board, I was a little scared to open this post ...

;D

I said to Blokey that I'd like to do that sort of thing at Christmas (I don't know WHY Christmas and not summer, but there you go) and he just said, Why don't you then? for which I didn't have an answer.  I felt like a fake.  Good for you! 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »