I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:27:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Can barely walk
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can barely walk  (Read 4422 times)
The_Vincester

« on: September 30, 2011, 06:48:52 PM »

Before my kidneys were wiped out in April, I was pretty physically active. I'm currently on PD, but sometimes find it difficult just to walk - not just energy, but physical pain.

I was on steroids, but tapered down to none almost a month or more ago. The most agonizing is in my Achilles, but my legs ache in general. Does anyone else experience this?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 07:13:12 PM »

Do you have any fluid on your legs?  Excess fluid on the legs can make it incredibly painful to walk, sometimes even to just stand up can be excruciating. 

I experienced this when I started hemo 3 years ago.  My mom said that my legs were the size of stove pipes.  They were at least twice the size that they were supposed to be.  I was in the hospital for 2 weeks, while I transitioned from PD to hemo, and I had to use a walker to walk anywhere and if I wanted to go further than just down the hall, I had to use a wheelchair.  When I got home, the nurses at my unit were much more aggressive towards the fluid than the nurses in the hospital I was in, and the majority of the fluid was gone in about a week.  My legs were back to normal size, and I could stand and walk without any pain.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
The_Vincester

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:53 PM »

Nope, no fluid build up at all.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

I believe I would consult with a Doctor.  No telling what it may be!

lmunchkin
 :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:46:15 PM »

Before my kidneys were wiped out in April, I was pretty physically active. I'm currently on PD, but sometimes find it difficult just to walk - not just energy, but physical pain.

I was on steroids, but tapered down to none almost a month or more ago. The most agonizing is in my Achilles, but my legs ache in general. Does anyone else experience this?

Has  your  vit  D  been checked  lately?   

Is your  hemoglobin within   range?             When  my hemoglobin is  on the  low  side,  it  hurts  to  walk.   I  get  so  tired,   not  just  the  energy  part,  but my  legs  ache  like  crazy. 
I'm  experiencing    that   right  now.           I gotta  check  with  TX  center  to  see if I  can take  aranesp.

Hope you  feel  better  real  soon!!   :cuddle;

Marina

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »

You have to ask for Arenesp?  I get it automatically every 2 weeks, along with venifer.  Everybody in my unit does.  Some get it more often than that.  Even when I was on PD I got Arenesp every 2 weeks

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
The_Vincester

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:52:01 AM »

What is Arrnesp? Is that like Epogen? I take that shot twice a week...
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 06:12:52 AM »

It could be a wide range of things but you can garentee it has to do with your kidnys. My husband has had the same problem for over a year. he is doing the overnight cycler.

His symptoms are: 
Feeling he has no strength in his legs ;
He says his legs do not feel like they belong to him.
They ache like mad in bed at night.
He also gets pain in his flank.

He has seen a Vascular surgeon and he said that all his arteries in his legs are OK. We have seen a Neurologist who has done tests and he says that his electrodes are not meeting up and the signals are not getting to his brain. We are waiting for a lumber puncture appointment, apparently they test for proteins in the spinal fluid.To much protein is not good.

Over the months he has been given prescriptions for--- Morphine, gabapentine, and a few more. He has stopped taking them because they make him feel dozy.

I see that you have been on steroids, this neurologist says that if they find too much protein he would try him on steroids, I don't know. Ask to see a neurologist.let me know.

The_Vincester

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:16:11 AM »

@billybags - Those symptoms are very similar. I don't always have the ache in my legs in bed, but I have and it's brutal.

It certainly does sometimes feel like my legs are not mine and the signals are "mixed up."
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 05:26:45 PM »

I'm wondering if you have some  in the legs. You might want to inquire about that too. Hmm.. I  hope you feel better soon!

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 05:38:28 PM »

You have to ask for Arenesp?  I get it automatically every 2 weeks, along with venifer.  Everybody in my unit does.  Some get it more often than that.  Even when I was on PD I got Arenesp every 2 weeks

Now  that  I'm  transplanted  MY  insurance  won't  pay  for  aranesp  unless  my   hemoglobin  falls  below  10.
It's  different  for  dialysis  patients.   On dialysis  if you  fall  below  11 you  automatically  get  EPO,  Aranesp  or  Procrit.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:35:50 PM »

Now  that  I'm  transplanted  MY  insurance  won't  pay  for  aranesp  unless  my   hemoglobin  falls  below  10.
It's  different  for  dialysis  patients.   On dialysis  if you  fall  below  11 you  automatically  get  EPO,  Aranesp  or  Procrit.

I don't quite understand the whole insurance thing.  Where I am, if you need it, you get it, if you're in a hospital anyway.  If not, it depends on whether the province will pay for it or not.  I got EPO and Iron once a week after my last transplant, for about a month after I got home, I think.  I remember, my boyfriend (at the time) was terrified of needles.  When the nurse showed up to give me the injections, he'd go for a long walk. *L*

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 02:33:44 PM »

your pain in the legs could be calcium being too high or too low, or you bicarbonate being too low. what are your bloods like? good luck

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »

your pain in the legs could be calcium being too high or too low, or you bicarbonate being too low. what are your bloods like? good luck

I was thinking calcium too. And a low potassium can leave you feeling pretty strange.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
mcclane

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 03:33:57 PM »

I don't quite understand the whole insurance thing.  Where I am, if you need it, you get it, if you're in a hospital anyway.  If not, it depends on whether the province will pay for it or not.  I got EPO and Iron once a week after my last transplant, for about a month after I got home, I think.  I remember, my boyfriend (at the time) was terrified of needles.  When the nurse showed up to give me the injections, he'd go for a long walk. *L*

my province won't supply aranesp unless it is absolutely necessary.  but my wife's work covers the cost of aranesp 100%, so when it is time to get some more, she charges (air miles, woo hoo !!!!) and then sends in the receipts.  few weeks later, the full cost from her work's insurance arrives.

I used to be on pd, and i found just the extra dialysate fluid sloshing around in your gut area would leave me winded.  I had 2L fills, so i was schlepping around my own body weight plus 2L of fluid all the time.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 05:01:02 PM »

It was used more but things changed. A few months ago studies revealed the dangers of over use of erythropoiesis-stimulating agents.
The US Food & Drug Administration has issued a warning that Procrit, Epogen, and Aranesp, used in patients with chronic kidney disease, may put them at risk of heart attack, stroke, and death
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/20110624/fda-new-warning-for-procrit-epogen-aranesp

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »

It could be from the prednisone, too. I had a great deal of difficulty walking when I was on prednisone. One of the side effects can be muscle wasting. I also had a lot of foot and leg pain to go with it. I couldn't walk in the mornings because my feet hurt so badly. It got batter as my prednisone dose dropped, but it took several months before the pain went away altogether and I never did regain all of my former mobility. I always feel a bit clumsy now and it's been about 15 years since I've taken prednisone.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
*kana*

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 10:19:18 AM »

Do you take cholesterol meds?  Other have made great points and I just wanted to add that one in because you can get those symptoms from other drugs other than D drugs. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
The_Vincester

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 01:26:36 PM »

After some testing, it's definitely the prednisone.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »