I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 07:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Benfotiamine -- Does Anyone Here Use It?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Benfotiamine -- Does Anyone Here Use It?  (Read 4625 times)
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« on: September 20, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »

I would like to hear about people's use of benfotiamine, both HD and PD people.

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 11:12:41 AM »

I had to look up what that was. Why are you using it? I take the vitamin they prescribe, NephroCaps. That is mostly B vitamins.
mcclane

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:46:31 PM »

I had to look up what that was. Why are you using it? I take the vitamin they prescribe, NephroCaps. That is mostly B vitamins.

x 2, except my doctor prescribed me replavite, but it is just vit b supplements.  from what I've heard, HD/PD patients take it because vit B is water soluble, so it is dialyzed out of the body (especially in HD).  When i was on PD, i only took one per day, on HD I am taking 2.
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:01:14 PM »

I am not using it myself, I am asking for patient experiences using benfotiamine.

Basically, scientists have found benfotiamine to be an inhibitor of advanced glycation end-products (AGEs). AGEs occur at higher rates in dialysis patients, they aren't sure of the exact mechanism as to why, though. They do know that it could be related to the oxidative stress from uremia. Another thing, is that dialysis isn't very good at getting rid of a large waste molecule called beta-2 microglobulin (B2M). B2M can interact with AGEs, and AGE-modified-B2M can potentially lead to dialysis related amyloidosis (DRA). The theory is that benfotiamine can help reduce the formation of AGEs, and with the reduction in the formation of AGEs, reduce the creation of AGE-modified-B2M, thus reducing the incidence of DRA.

You can do some Google or Scholar.Google searches. Key words would be: benfotiamine, advanced glycation end-products, beta-2 microglobulin, dialysis related amyloidosis

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 05:50:06 PM »

Basically, the issue is Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs).  This is a class of toxins whose molecular weight is too big to enable these molecules to pass through the dialyzer membrane.  Hence hemodialysis does not do a good job of filtering out these toxins.  (Though a healthy kidney, being a lot smarter, does filter them out.)

Studies have shown that in patients on hemodialysis, the level of AGEs in the blood can be ten times that of a person with healthy kidneys.

In Europe, they have had success with using benfotiamine to speed the release of AGEs from the body.  AGE levels can fall as much as 40%.

I was taking benfotiamine regularly when I was on dialysis.  Now that I have a kidney transplant, I stopped. 

I posted about benfotiamine a couple of times a year ago or so--try searching for my posts.
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »

Basically, the issue is Advanced Glycation End Products (AGEs).  This is a class of toxins whose molecular weight is too big to enable these molecules to pass through the dialyzer membrane.  Hence hemodialysis does not do a good job of filtering out these toxins.  (Though a healthy kidney, being a lot smarter, does filter them out.)

Studies have shown that in patients on hemodialysis, the level of AGEs in the blood can be ten times that of a person with healthy kidneys.

In Europe, they have had success with using benfotiamine to speed the release of AGEs from the body.  AGE levels can fall as much as 40%.

I was taking benfotiamine regularly when I was on dialysis.  Now that I have a kidney transplant, I stopped. 

I posted about benfotiamine a couple of times a year ago or so--try searching for my posts.

I saw your posts after a search. I see that you also took 150 mg as recommended by your dietician. Is there any brand or dosage you recommend?

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »

I saw your posts after a search. I see that you also took 150 mg as recommended by your dietician. Is there any brand or dosage you recommend?
I had bought Benfotiamine 150 mg capsules from Doctor's Best
http://www.drbvitamins.com/index.php

But I don't think it matters which brand you buy, unless you're allergic to one of the inert ingredients.

Eventually I had increased my dose to 300 mg/day (that's 2 of those 150 mg capsules per day).

But PLEASE don't take Benfotiamine or anything else on your own without discussing it with your doctor or dietician first!

YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »

I had bought Benfotiamine 150 mg capsules from Doctor's Best
http://www.drbvitamins.com/index.php

But I don't think it matters which brand you buy, unless you're allergic to one of the inert ingredients.

Eventually I had increased my dose to 300 mg/day (that's 2 of those 150 mg capsules per day).

But PLEASE don't take Benfotiamine or anything else on your own without discussing it with your doctor or dietician first!

Thanks!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »