I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:38:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Tapioca pearls/flour in the Battle For Phosphorus Control
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tapioca pearls/flour in the Battle For Phosphorus Control  (Read 7787 times)
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« on: September 20, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »

In the never-ending battle against the devil that is known as phosphorus, I propose a "secret" weapon: tapioca. Now, I am not suggesting guzzling down loads of tapioca pudding (which, by the way, probably contains a lot of phosphorus due to the dairy-product pudding ingredients, not to mention the fluid that comes from pudding), but using tapioca pearls and tapioca flour in creative ways to get the calories and carbohydrates (watch out if you are diabetic) that we need.

Comparison (information taken from livestrong.com):
100 g of tapioca flour contains 20 mg of calcium, 1.5 mg of iron, 1 mg of magnesium, 7 mg of phosphorus and 11 mg of potassium.
100 g of white wheat flour contains 14 mg of calcium, 1 mg of iron, 22 mg of magnesium, 108 mg of phosphorus and 107 mg of potassium.

According to nutritiondata.self.com, 100g of tapioca pearls (which is essentially like tapioca flour in chewy bead form) also has 7 mg of phosphorus.

In the world of flours and grains, that's pretty much next to nothing. I have had Indian dishes where tapioca pearls were substituted for rice, and they were mighty tasty! Possibly, I can concoct a delicious morning porridge made with tapioca pearls that is prepared the night before, and simply heat and go in the morning. Will have to experiment.

Does anyone have any creative and dialysis-friendly recipes incorporating tapioca flour or tapioca pearls?

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »