I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  I need snack ideas
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I need snack ideas  (Read 17664 times)
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:23 PM »

You can mix cream cheese with vanilla or strawberry protein powder. It's a nice spread for your crackers or bagels and will give you protein to boot. I give my patients strawberry Boost or Nepro mixed in a blender with frozen strawberries for a "smoothie". You haVe to add a little more sweetener to it if you want to freeze it into popsicles, but that is also really good! I also make zuchinni muffins and put extra eggs and Boost in the mix. It's one way to get the protein without having to taste the  protein. I realize not everyone likes that taste. The baked goods hide them really well. I mentioned zuchinni muffins becuase it's an allowed vegetable and it also helps hide the vegetable, if you dont' care for zucchinni! Muffins freeze well so you can make a batch that will last a long time. You can also make cookies using Boost or Nepro instead of milkl and put in extra eggs.

Interested in knowing your recipe or what "mix" to buy for the zuchinni muffins. It also gave me the idea of blending chopped cooked zuchinni into cream cheese. Also, what kind of crackers or bagels can we use with your protein cream cheese dip? Sounds like an easy and delicious protein boost! Thanks! 

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
Karlise13

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

Here's a basic recipe for zuchinni muffins:

3 cups white flour
1 cup sugar (or use Splenda if you wish)
1 1/2 tsps pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon)
1 1/2 tsps baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 eggs
2 cups grated zuchinni
1 cup vanilla boost
1/3 cup oil
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/2 cup chopped apple (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 F
Mix all the dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt)
In a seperate bowl, beat the eggs until lemon  yellow in color
Mix in the Boost and oil and lemon extract
Mix the wet ingredients with the dry until just blended -- don't over mix
Then add the apples and zuchinni and mix lightly

Grease muffin tins

Fill 3/4 of the way fulll

Bake 15-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

You can even frost them with your 'protein cream cheese'

ENJOY
Karlise13

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 09:30:17 AM »

Also want to add that sometimes muffins don't turn out. I mean, you can measure carefully but there are times they come out dry or too dense or what have you. Don't throw them away! Make them into bread pudding. Crumble them up, put in large bowl, moisten with almond milk (or more Boost or Nepro) and even a few more eggs for good measure. Add some more sugar and cinnamon as desired. let soak until completely wet, then pat into a pre-greased casserole dish or tin and bake at 375 until firm. I almost always end up with good bread pudding from imperfect muffins, cake !                                     
PrimeTimer
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »

Thanks for providing your muffin recipe, Karlise13! Since my husband is diabetic, we use Splenda. Thanks too for the idea of making "muffin cake".   

Husband had ESRD with Type I Diabetes -Insulin Dependent.
I was his care-partner for home hemodialysis using Nxstage December 2013-July 2016.
He went back to doing in-center July 2016.
After more than 150 days of being hospitalized with complications from Diabetes, my beloved husband's heart stopped and he passed away 06-08-21. He was only 63.
LisaBart

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2014, 04:34:44 AM »

I made the yummiest turkey coconut curry meatballs tonight - though I think coconut is a little high in potassium?
I just used turkey mince, curry powder, shredded coconut, egg,garlic, chopped parsley,grated carrot.  Mix and make into smallish little cocktail size meatballs and
cook in a frypan..... :) in very tiny amount of olive oil.
I always think american foods sound odd...so now you can think the same about aussie food :)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »