I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 01:26:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What is your Beta 2 Microglobulin level. Pre dialysis?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your Beta 2 Microglobulin level. Pre dialysis?  (Read 3344 times)
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« on: January 22, 2007, 08:06:16 PM »

Mine is 730... :(
AlasdairUK

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 02:59:00 AM »

I have to admit I have no idea what mine is. I know of it, but do not know what it is. jedimaster would you be able to explain a bit more about it and what it means?

Thanks.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 09:06:22 PM »

I'm with Alasdair - I don't even know what the heck that is.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 10:08:57 PM »

I am told that is a protein that builds up due to kidney failure. This is the first time they meassure this in my blood work.
I found this info in the net:
"In end-stage renal failure, impaired renal catabolism leads to retention of beta 2 microglobulin (ß2M), identified as the major constituent of hemodialysis (HD) related amyloidosis. It has been previously shown that, while using a high flux (HF) HD membrane, nocturnal hemodialysis (NHD) with its increased time and frequency provides a much higher clearance of ß2M compared to conventional HD. We compared serum ß2M levels between low flux (LF) and HF in a group of 9 NHD patients who dialyse 8 hours 6 nights/week. Fresenius polysulfone LF membrane size F6-F8 HPS dialyser were used for the first 15 months (mth) of NHD (SA 1.3–1.8 m2). Subsequently, polysulfone HF FX80 dialyzer were used (SA 1.8 m2). Blood flow and dialysate flow rates were unchanged throughout the study. ß2M levels were measured at 6, 12, 15 mth on LF and at 6, 12 mth on HF. Albumin, homocysteine (Hcy), and phosphate (Phos) levels were also recorded at these times. ß2M levels trended upwards during the 15 mth on LF (36.6 ± 10.57 at 6 mth vs 47.1 ± 11.7 at 15 mth). On introduction of HF, there was a significant fall in ß2M at 6 mth to 12.4 ± 3.5 (p < 0.003), while ß2M levels were unchanged at 12 mth of HF. A downward trend in Hcy levels with the use of HF was noted (12.9 ± 2.9 at 0 mth Vs 11.1 ± 3.7 at 12 mth). Plasma albumin and Phos levels remained unchanged as did the use of Phos supplementation. Levels of ß2M continued to rise on NHD with LF, indicating inadequate clearance. With the introduction of HF there was a significant fall in ß2M levels consistent with improved clearance. The implications of this are that ß2M clearance may be time and frequency dependent only if dialyser membrane flux is adequate."

Now...what is Amyloidosis?

Amyloidosis is a rare disease that occurs when substances called amyloid proteins build up in your body's organs. Amyloid is an abnormal protein usually produced by cells in your bone marrow that can be deposited in any tissue or organ. Amyloidosis frequently affects the heart, kidneys, liver, spleen, nervous system and gastrointestinal tract.

Kidney dialysis. If you have kidney disease requiring kidney dialysis — particularly for longer than five years — you may be at increased risk of dialysis-associated amyloidosis. This is because dialysis can't remove large proteins from the blood, so abnormal proteins may build up and deposit in surrounding tissues. This condition is rare with modern dialysis techniques.

Sooo... Dr. Bombay, my trusted nephrologyst has told me that they are just doing some measurements to see how the microglobulin levels compare to people who are in regular dialysis...
AlasdairUK

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 07:55:37 AM »

Thanks jedimaster. Even when you think you a lot, there is always more to learn about. I use the polysulfone HF FX80 dialyzer on hemodiafiltration which removes more larger particles than conventional HD. It would be interesting to know what my levels are. I'm meeting the doc on Monday and will ask him, even if only to try confuse him.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
jedimaster

Stainboy is....alive!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 01:22:56 PM »

Seems that with conventional HD the reduction of b2M is lower than people who are in nocturnal...has to do with liters cleaned, not speed....so Dr. Bombay says. That's he prefers nocturnal...longer time, more blood cleaned.... ???
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »