I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2024, 11:26:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Trying to face my fear
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Trying to face my fear  (Read 21311 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »

I'd be up for that, lmunchkin.

Needlephobic, would your clinic let you talk to someone via skype while they were sticking you?  Why not ask them?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2011, 09:28:41 PM »

I think it would be great!!!! Heck, if we could do that, I'd just dial you up and tale with you person to person.  That would be awesome.  Nobody would have to write replys, you could just look at one another while having a conversation!

Ive never heard of skype!  But if it would help you, then please by all means, ask them!  DO YOU think it will help?

lmunchkin

:kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
needlephobic

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2011, 10:56:06 PM »

Needlephobic, would your clinic let you talk to someone via skype while they were sticking you?  Why not ask them?
Don't see why not they let me talk on skype while I am doing D
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »

Maybe you are on to something here Needlephobic!  Anything to help you in the process.

lmunch

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2011, 11:23:02 PM »

Skype was great for free video chatting with Jenna when she was in Paris.
 :clap;
Agreed.  I skyped Gregory every day and showed him England when I was over there last year.  And I skype talk to my dad several times a week. 

So MM and/or LMunch, join skype, you choose yourself a username.  Send that username by PM to Needlephobic.  He seems to already be a skyper?  Needle will search for you on skype and send a request to connect, and then you will be "skype" contacts.   When you are both in skype at once, if you look at your contacts list, you will see that the other person's contact icon is green.  You can then either "chat" with them, call them (voice only) or video call them (sometimes when my internet connection gets bad, I revert back to audio only, the video version takes more internet-ness.  More broadband?  More something.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »

Here is the skype website.
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/home
I think from memory, you download the software and that is when you set up your username, during the download process.

Do you think we can get a commission out of this?  for flogging free software...  :waiting;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2011, 11:56:15 AM »

I'm so, so , so happy you're working through this, and it all sounds very promising!   :2thumbsup;   I, too, am very interested in the process of this and, of course, the outcome!  Keep us posted!!!   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2011, 07:00:07 PM »

OT but....

I'm more than happy to help any single ladies with their webcams.....

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;
 :shy;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

Oh, they could think of all sorts of reasons, I'm sure. ::)

But the real question isn't whether or not they'll let you talk via skype while dialyzing, rather, the question is whether or not they'd let you do this while being cannulated because it is the fear of needles, not the fear of dialysis per se, that is the problem.  Or have I missed something?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
needlephobic

« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »

Oh, they could think of all sorts of reasons, I'm sure. ::)

But the real question isn't whether or not they'll let you talk via skype while dialyzing, rather, the question is whether or not they'd let you do this while being cannulated because it is the fear of needles, not the fear of dialysis per se, that is the problem.  Or have I missed something?

MM I hate Dialysis but totally terrified of needles can't stand the sight of them. Right now my Psychologist wants them to lay a D needle next to me still wrapped up then unwrapped until I get use to it. Then tape it to my arm then one day stick me with one when I am confortable with the needle that's going to be the hard part. I do have that D needle here at my apartment in the bag that holds my pillow and blanket. The Psychologist suggest that I take it out at home but I am to scared to even touch that thing right now.
It seams the staff at the center don't want to help or don't understand what is going on. I just need somebody to talk to me get me calmed down and focused. Is that to much to ask D.O.N did it once after I asked her to help me. The rest of the time just hi in passing while I set there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:44:07 PM by needlephobic » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »

Yep, I get it, and I am thinking that your skype idea might indeed serve as a good distraction while you are being cannulated.  But my question is will your center allow this?  Or failing that, can you call someone and be talking to them on the phone while you are being cannulated?  Would that help you?  If so, would your center allow it?  Would your psychologist think it would be helpful?

Hazmat35

« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:07 AM »

I know that when I start to get hooked up at Dialysis, my G/F always stands beside of me and "distractst me" by talking about something.  If she isn't there, one of the nurses will always come over in her stead.  All you have to do is ask, I'm sure that one of the nurses or Techs or the Social Worker would be happy to distract you! 

Brother Passed away - 1990 - Liver Disease
Diagnosed w/ Polycystic Kidney Disease - 1998
Mother passed away - Feb. 1999 - PKD
Sister passed away - Feb. 2006 - PKD
AV Fistula / Upper Left Arm - September 2009
Father passed away - September 2009
In-Center Hemo Dialysis - April 2010
Broken Knee Cap - January 2015
Diagnosed w/ A-Fib October 2017
Surgery to repair Hiatal Hernia 2018
Multiple Fistula Grams / Angioplasty's since then!

Hating Dialysis since Day 1 and everyday since then!!!!  :)
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »

I don't have skype (I have dial-up) but I would be more than happy to talk on the phone with you.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
needlephobic

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 08:16:37 PM »

Yep, I get it, and I am thinking that your skype idea might indeed serve as a good distraction while you are being cannulated.  But my question is will your center allow this?  Or failing that, can you call someone and be talking to them on the phone while you are being cannulated?  Would that help you?  If so, would your center allow it?  Would your psychologist think it would be helpful?

I really don't think they will have a prob with somebody talking to me on skype.

I don't have skype (I have dial-up) but I would be more than happy to talk on the phone with you.
I don't know if just talking on a phone will help me  a face of a person talking to me will help.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »

I would be happy to help you out, needlephobic if you dialyze in the afternoons.  What's your dialysis schedule?  In which time zone are you?  If you are absolutely sure that your clinic will let you talk to me on skype while you are being cannulated (please ask them first!), I'll try to learn how to use skype.  Also, I'd be really grateful if you could mention this scheme to your psychologist.  I have a fear of saying the wrong thing while they're sticking you and just making it all worse!

needlephobic

« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:55 PM »

I would be happy to help you out, needlephobic if you dialyze in the afternoons.  What's your dialysis schedule?  In which time zone are you?  If you are absolutely sure that your clinic will let you talk to me on skype while you are being cannulated (please ask them first!), I'll try to learn how to use skype.  Also, I'd be really grateful if you could mention this scheme to your psychologist.  I have a fear of saying the wrong thing while they're sticking you and just making it all worse!

MM I am not ready to be stuck yet Have to work up to being stuck ((((shivers)))) All I need is somebody to talk to me tell me everything is alright just need to be calmed down I don't think they got a prob with it. I am in central time zone I do D on Tues Thurs and SAT at 7:30 am yes the early shift
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 06:27:12 AM »

I really don't think they will have a prob with somebody talking to me on skype.

I don't know if just talking on a phone will help me  a face of a person talking to me will help.
Iunderstand. But he you ever need of, consider these coincidences: I'm in the central time zone; I go Tues, Thurs, Sat; my appointments are 6:30 am.     :2thumbsup;   

Think about it! LOL!
needlephobic

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »

Iunderstand. But he you ever need of, consider these coincidences: I'm in the central time zone; I go Tues, Thurs, Sat; my appointments are 6:30 am.     :2thumbsup;
That would work your already up  and going before they hook me up.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2011, 04:51:36 PM »

Anytime, NP!   :cuddle;

Think about it! LOL!
needlephobic

« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 09:45:34 PM »

Well I did something this evening that I thought I couldn't do I actually pick up the D needle out of the bag that holds my pillow and blanket and set it beside me for a while with the help of my girlfriend and skype
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 09:53:28 PM by needlephobic » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »

Well I did something this evening that I thought I couldn't do I actually pick up the D needle out of the bag that holds my pillow and blanket and wet it beside me for a while with the help of my girlfriend and skype

In all honesty, this is the best news I've heard all weekend.  Congratulations!  You're a star!!!

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2011, 12:37:20 PM »

:bandance;   :cheer:    :yahoo;   :2thumbsup;    :clap;    :bow;   . Wow! That is great news! There just aren't enough smileys to express how happy I am for you!

Think about it! LOL!
needlephobic

« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2011, 09:14:50 PM »

Got some more good news a tech at my center is recouping from foot surgery and is not supposed to hook or        unhook people to the machine for about 2 more weeks. She has agreed to set with me when we put the D needle by me to help me calm down and keep me focused. Just hope she don't get in to trouble or fired. It seems everybody that tried to help me retired early or was forced to quit or asked to resign.   :pray; 
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »

I suspect that if she really thought she'd get into trouble or would lose her job just because she agreed to sit with you, she wouldn't have offered in the first place.

CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2011, 08:06:34 AM »

That's great! You've been making such strides already, who knows what you'll be able to face after 2 weeks.

Think about it! LOL!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »