I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:59:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  doctors, consultants Ha! what a joke!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: doctors, consultants Ha! what a joke!  (Read 9435 times)
kevno

« on: January 05, 2006, 03:43:15 PM »

Went for my dialysis today as normal, and the doctor had changed my prescription, the size of the kidney, the needle size and the pump speed.  Without a word to me about it, he had  just typed it into the computer. Who do they think they are just changing everything without talking to the patient first. Anyway the doctor did say he should have spoken to me first, it was a bit late. Needles back to same size as before, plus the pump speed he had put down, there was no chance of that.  But I have agreed to try the bigger kidney. But at the end of dialysis today I got very bad cramps.  which I have not had for years.

Well thats my little rant for today.

See you,

KEVNO

manchester,uk.

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 08:36:34 PM »

Went for my dialysis today as normal, and the doctor had changed my prescription, the size of the kidney, the needle size and the pump speed.  Without a word to me about it, he had  just typed it into the computer. Who do they think they are just changing everything without talking to the patient first. Anyway the doctor did say he should have spoken to me first, it was a bit late. Needles back to same size as before, plus the pump speed he had put down, there was no chance of that.  But I have agreed to try the bigger kidney. But at the end of dialysis today I got very bad cramps.  which I have not had for years.

Well thats my little rant for today.

See you,

KEVNO

manchester,uk.

I hate it when they do that and I let them know that it pisses me off. that is why I always check to see what they are doing to my machine. Good for you that you stood up for yourself. Remember it is your body and not theirs. You are not just a number you are a human being.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
kevno

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 02:33:03 PM »

Well now got everything back the way it was, and sod to Doctors.  Tried the bigger kidney for nearly a month, kept getting cramp, feeling sick, dropping BP.

Kevno
(We the patients have to stand up for ourselves! The Doctors are not always right!)

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 02:41:58 PM »

I don't understand.  What is a bigger kidney?

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
kevno

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 02:58:40 PM »

On the unit there are three different sizes of kidneys fx6, fx8 an fx10  the sizes of the kidney is for the different weight of the patients.  A fx10 kidney will take more fluid of you quicker than a fx6 kidney.  I am not that big so I have alway been on a fx6 kidney, but the Doctor in his wisdom decided to change the kidney for a fx8.  Which even the Nurses Said was to big for me.  As I found out the painful way.  The bigger kidney gives a better dialysis. My results have been slipping a bit.  last time my urrs where 63% and the Unit as a target of 70%.

yours hopefully I have managed to explain the kidneys

Kevno.
(as long as I feel OK,  why change what is working OK for me!)

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 03:10:07 PM »

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand.  When you say kidney, do you mean machine? Are you speaking about Peritoneal Dialysis or HaemoDialysis?  I am sorry to sound so uniformed, but I would love to understand.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand.  When you say kidney, do you mean machine? Are you speaking about Peritoneal Dialysis or HaemoDialysis?  I am sorry to sound so uniformed, but I would love to understand.

He is talking about Hemodialysis and the "Kidney" or Dializer. It is the device that filters your blood. Many people refer to it as a "Kidney" since it basically is our replacement kidney.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Bajanne
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 02:57:46 PM »

Thanks, I found that out finally today.  At my session I asked the nurse and he showed me what I call a 'dialyzer'.  I also asked what size this one was and he said that they use Fx8 as a standard.  So everyone at the center uses this size.
Do you see why this site is so necessary.  There is so much to learn and the 'professionals' don't always think to explain everything to us.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 03:28:27 PM »

Thanks, I found that out finally today.  At my session I asked the nurse and he showed me what I call a 'dialyzer'.  I also asked what size this one was and he said that they use Fx8 as a standard.  So everyone at the center uses this size.
Do you see why this site is so necessary.  There is so much to learn and the 'professionals' don't always think to explain everything to us.

That's right! There are so many unimformed patients and hopefully with this site we will help put a stop to it. A informed patient is a smart/healthy patient.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

kevno

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 04:04:49 PM »

In england we know them just as the "Kidney" in USA as I now know it is known as the 'dialyzer'. You would have been shocked at the size of the Dialyzers when I was first on the Haemodialysis in the 1970.  the kidney/dialyzer was 6ft long, 2ft wide and 1ft deep. Known as the keel kidney.  It is unbelievable how small the dialyzer as gone. The machine is the same size. Plus the Bloody Needles!!!!!

Kevno

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2011, 10:50:42 PM »

At my center they have a team of doctors that rotate.  Each one of them has a different style.  I find they are overly optimistic about the return of renal function, but perhaps that's not a bad thing. 
willielt1

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 02:18:53 PM »

The Next Time the Doctor(s) Change Something and You have made it Clear in the past That you ( The one That pays Their Bills ) Would like to Be Informed before hand ./... .. and they continue to disreguard your instrtuctions
 Get Up and Punch him or her in the face. ...

They Say " you dont know what you got till its gone"
I Say " You Know what you got ... just never thought it would leave"
Donnie

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »

AH.   But someone needs to make them understand YOU pay the bills!  Most Employees at a center act like you are a child and they are the adult.   They don't get the customer/employee relationship!   :secret;
Ravenwolf

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »

I can understand it all. My doctor acts as if he owns me. There is a part of my treatment I do not wish to do. It's called hemodialysis. I have been on CCPD for two years and, have the best numbers of all PD patients at the clinic. Due to several stays in the hospital, unrelated to kidney failure, I was given reduced treatments. Now that I am out, he wants me to do my treatments at home, then come into the clinic for what he calls "The Chair". I busted my butt to get off hemo as I don't like it. Furthermore he and I both know that, with my heart disease hemo is rougher on me. This idiot is an alarmist anyway. Once I was having a hemo treatment and, was suffering a stomachache. He asked me where and, I indicated my lower belly. He got excited, pointed his finger at me and said, "You have peritonitis, I'm putting you in Enloe (Hospital)". How the hell do you make a diagnosis from 6 feet away with no testing, not even a fever check? After I went home and passed that gas, the peritonitis infection was over. That's all it was, just gas. Now this nutcase won't even wait for my next labs to see if the return to full dialysis is working. When I said "NO" to the extra hemo, he tried to tell me what I "WAS" going to do. I said no to the PD nurse and, asked him to relay the message. I don't feel like arguing with that baby Hitler. I have dealt with my own homecare these last two years and, I think I know when it is out of my hands. Sure, I admit my doctor is mostly right but, he is going to have to understand that no human being is always right. As it stands, I will fight for my right to decide my treatment when I am dealing with what I am familiar with.

P.S. The reason I wish not to do hemo is not just the heart trouble. I have restless legs syndrome and, after 30 minutes of sitting, I am in great pain. That means nothing to anybody at that clinic.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:59:26 AM by Ravenwolf » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »