I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Question about Quellitall
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question about Quellitall  (Read 6573 times)
Iwannabean

« on: September 14, 2011, 07:02:07 AM »

Has anybody heard of this relatively new Over the Counter drug?  It is supposed to help with cramping.  Has anyone tried it? What were the results?  I used to cramp at dialysis all the time, but now its just on occasion.
I do cramp a lot at night, it has resulted in many a night with little or no sleep.  My dry weight has been fairly consistant and my weight gain between treatments has been great.  Help me!!!!

Iwannabean
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »

I think you should ask your doctor. The page I found in my search (part of the Quellitall website) said not to take it if you are taking any blood pressure meds or coumadin or are diabetic. There was a whole list of restrictions. I can't tell if that is legal boilerplate or if it could really be dangerous for you. Ask your doctor or at least your pharmacist before you try it. I'm sure the cramping sucks though.
Iwannabean

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:54:40 AM »

Thank you for your response Jeannea, I spoke to my nephrologist last night and I am going to give him the website so that he can check it out.  He has'nt heard of Quellitall but will give me an opinion when he checks it out.  I will keep everyone posted.  :secret;

Iwannabean
cberetz

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:02:53 PM »

Hello Iwannabean:

My name is Chuck Beretz. I am the founder and CEO of the Carlsbad Trading Company, which makes Quellitall. Thanks for your interest in our dietary supplement. I would be happy to address any questions/concerns you have. Additionally, I would be glad to speak with your nephrologist. Your doctor may be interested in reading some of the clinical research behind the ingredients in Quellitall, which can be found at http://www.quellitall.com/research.html.

Please note that the contraindications are real (not legal boilerplate) and a full listing can be found on the ingredients page of the website: http://www.quellitall.com/nutritionlabel.html

Quellitall effectively relieves muscles cramping for the vast majority of our customers. If it doesn't work for you, we refund 110% of the purchase price (i.e. we actually pay you if it doesn't work). So if you and your doctor agree that Quellitall is right for you, you have nothing to lose but your cramps!

Good Health to You!

Chuck Beretz
Founder/CEO
Carlsbad Trading Company, Inc.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54:05 AM »

Hello Iwannabean:

My name is Chuck Beretz. I am the founder and CEO of the Carlsbad Trading Company, which makes Quellitall. Thanks for your interest in our dietary supplement. I would be happy to address any questions/concerns you have. Additionally, I would be glad to speak with your nephrologist. Your doctor may be interested in reading some of the clinical research behind the ingredients in Quellitall, which can be found at http://www.quellitall.com/research.html.

Please note that the contraindications are real (not legal boilerplate) and a full listing can be found on the ingredients page of the website: http://www.quellitall.com/nutritionlabel.html

Quellitall effectively relieves muscles cramping for the vast majority of our customers. If it doesn't work for you, we refund 110% of the purchase price (i.e. we actually pay you if it doesn't work). So if you and your doctor agree that Quellitall is right for you, you have nothing to lose but your cramps!

Good Health to You!

Chuck Beretz
Founder/CEO
Carlsbad Trading Company, Inc.

Hi Chuck,
New members are asked to make their first post in the "introduce yourself" section.
Before promoting businesses or products it's a good idea to ask permission from the admin team.
Making multiple posts about your product could be considered spam.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »

I have never heard of Quellitall. When I (or my husband) get leg cramps we use Hyland's Leg Cramps.
They have some great homeopathic products with simple to remember names. (we use Leg Cramps and Flu)
Here is a link to their site:

http://www.hylands.com

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
cberetz

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »

okarol:

Thanks for the heads up. I just posted in the "Introduce Myself" forum. It is absolutely not my intention to spam, just to be a helpful resource on Quellitall if questions arise.

Chuck
cberetz

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:53 PM »

I have never heard of Quellitall. When I (or my husband) get leg cramps we use Hyland's Leg Cramps.
They have some great homeopathic products with simple to remember names. (we use Leg Cramps and Flu)

CebuShan:

We get a lot of questions about Hylands. A standard quinine pill (such as Qualaquin) contains 324 mg of quinine. Tonic water contains about 20 mg of quinine per 8-ounces. Hylands contains 0.0078 mg of Cinchona bark (the natural source of quinine) per tablet. In other words, you would have to consume nearly 3000 Hylands tablets to get the same dose of quinine as you would get by drinking 8 ounces of tonic water.

The bottom line is that if it works for you, keep using it, but it is probably just a placebo effect.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »

It's unfortunate that the product says not to use it with blood pressure meds, as that will disqualify most renal patients. My nephrologist had to order Qualaquin from Canada as it is no longer sold in this country it seems (this was 2007). I tried Hylands and did not notice improvement, though they sell a lot of products for infants and kids, and whether it's a placebo or not, many of them have worked quite well for the boys.

I would be interested in trying this product as I am no longer on any meds and on rare occasions I do get the odd night cramp. I still have some Qualiquin, but am almost out. I think a tablet for dialysis patients is important, since tonic water is fluid. The Qualiquin always worked instantaneously for me, but is not OTC and expensive. This is not a pressing issue for me right now (thankfully!) but I would certainly give it a go, Iwannabean, and then let the company know if it does not work for you.

Good luck!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:53:32 PM »

CebuShan:

We get a lot of questions about Hylands. A standard quinine pill (such as Qualaquin) contains 324 mg of quinine. Tonic water contains about 20 mg of quinine per 8-ounces. Hylands contains 0.0078 mg of Cinchona bark (the natural source of quinine) per tablet. In other words, you would have to consume nearly 3000 Hylands tablets to get the same dose of quinine as you would get by drinking 8 ounces of tonic water.

The bottom line is that if it works for you, keep using it, but it is probably just a placebo effect.

I realize that you are in the business of promoting and defending your product but I can tell you that it is NOT a placebo effect.  It is a little difficult to have a placebo effect when one expects a product to fail. That was my attitude when I first tried it. Part of the attraction for me is the small amount of quinine.
I do not now nor have I ever worked for Hyland's, I am just a satisfied customer.
Hyland's has been around since 1903 and has many dfferent products.
I was unable to find out how long your company has been in business but I did visit your site and discovered that Quellitall is your only product besides "clothing and gear".

In regards to your statement that you receive alot of questions about Hyland's, this statement appears on your site: " Our science-based approach stands in sharp contrast to the ineffective (at best) or toxic (at worst) supplements sold by con-artists to gullible consumers."

Here is a list of your contraindications:

CONTRAINDICATIONS: Do not use Quellitall if you are pregnant or nursing. Quellitall is not intended for persons under 18 years of age. Do not use Quellitall if you have hypertension or if you are taking antihypertensive drugs (including but not limited to alpha blockers, beta blockers, ACE inhibtors and minoxidil), antiarrhythmics (such as procainamide or quinidine), digoxin, diuretics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or laxitives. Consult your doctor before taking Quellitall if you are currently taking any anticoagulants, antidiabetic agents, antiplatlet agents, heparin, thrombolytic agents, oral contraceptives, or corticosteroids, as dangerous side effects can result. Note that the amount of Vitamin E in Quellitall is safe for most people, but if you are taking a concurrent multivitamin, you should talk to your doctor to make sure you are not getting toxic amounts of Vitamin E. One of the active compounds in Quellitall can sometimes cause problems for diabetics if they become hypokalemic. Please consult your doctor before using Quellitall if you are diabetic.

BTW: many, many dialysis patients use heparin. Also, you misspelled "inhibitors"

This is the warnings for Hyland's:

Uses and Warnings
Uses
Temporarily relieves the symptoms of cramps and pains in lower back and legs.

Warnings
 Ask a doctor before use if you are pregnant, nursing, sensitive to quinine or administering to someone under 12 years of age.

Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children. Do not use if imprinted tamper band is broken or missing. In case of accidental overdose, contact a poison control center immediately.

In case of emergency, the manufacturer may be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 800-624-9659.

Most of us here will recommend a product or remedy BUT we do not bad mouth any one else.

I really find it offensive that you would come here merely to promote your product and bad mouth other remedies , especially about a company that has been around since before you were born (and probably since before your parents and grandparents were born) and has a proven track record.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
cberetz

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 12:01:37 PM »

CebuShan:

I realize that you are in the business of promoting and defending your product but I can tell you that it is NOT a placebo effect.  It is a little difficult to have a placebo effect when one expects a product to fail. That was my attitude when I first tried it. Part of the attraction for me is the small amount of quinine.
I do not now nor have I ever worked for Hyland's, I am just a satisfied customer.
Hyland's has been around since 1903 and has many dfferent products.
I was unable to find out how long your company has been in business but I did visit your site and discovered that Quellitall is your only product besides "clothing and gear".

In regards to your statement that you receive alot of questions about Hyland's, this statement appears on your site: " Our science-based approach stands in sharp contrast to the ineffective (at best) or toxic (at worst) supplements sold by con-artists to gullible consumers."

Here is a list of your contraindications:

CONTRAINDICATIONS: Do not use Quellitall if you are pregnant or nursing. Quellitall is not intended for persons under 18 years of age. Do not use Quellitall if you have hypertension or if you are taking antihypertensive drugs (including but not limited to alpha blockers, beta blockers, ACE inhibtors and minoxidil), antiarrhythmics (such as procainamide or quinidine), digoxin, diuretics, monoamine oxidase inhibitors, or laxitives. Consult your doctor before taking Quellitall if you are currently taking any anticoagulants, antidiabetic agents, antiplatlet agents, heparin, thrombolytic agents, oral contraceptives, or corticosteroids, as dangerous side effects can result. Note that the amount of Vitamin E in Quellitall is safe for most people, but if you are taking a concurrent multivitamin, you should talk to your doctor to make sure you are not getting toxic amounts of Vitamin E. One of the active compounds in Quellitall can sometimes cause problems for diabetics if they become hypokalemic. Please consult your doctor before using Quellitall if you are diabetic.

BTW: many, many dialysis patients use heparin. Also, you misspelled "inhibitors"

This is the warnings for Hyland's:

Uses and Warnings
Uses
Temporarily relieves the symptoms of cramps and pains in lower back and legs.

Warnings
 Ask a doctor before use if you are pregnant, nursing, sensitive to quinine or administering to someone under 12 years of age.

Keep this and all medications out of the reach of children. Do not use if imprinted tamper band is broken or missing. In case of accidental overdose, contact a poison control center immediately.

In case of emergency, the manufacturer may be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 800-624-9659.

Most of us here will recommend a product or remedy BUT we do not bad mouth any one else.

I really find it offensive that you would come here merely to promote your product and bad mouth other remedies , especially about a company that has been around since before you were born (and probably since before your parents and grandparents were born) and has a proven track record.
1. Thanks for pointing out the misspelling. I will notify the webmaster.
2. Our company is new. Quellitall is our main focus.
3. Not sure what you mean by "badmouth" as I actually stated, "If it works for you, keep using it."
4. A placebo effect is real, not imaginary, and the mechanisms are more complex than is commonly realized. If the topic interests you, Wired Magazine ran a good review of the topic a couple years ago: http://www.wired.com/medtech/drugs/magazine/17-09/ff_placebo_effect?currentPage=all
5. There is practically nothing in Hylands, so of course there would be few contraindications.
6. If you are taking heparin, or any prescription medications, please consult your doctor before using Quellitall.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »