I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 13, 2024, 12:19:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Ex-mayor Katz finds comfort in the biggest struggle of her life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ex-mayor Katz finds comfort in the biggest struggle of her life  (Read 1564 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:46 PM »

PORTLAND -- At 78, undergoing dialysis three times a week, former mayor and state legislator Vera Katz chatted with KGW's Pat Dooris about the biggest challenges facing her life and how she faces her own death.

Katz arrived in Oregon in 1962. Ten years later she was elected to the Oregon legislature. By 1985, she was the first woman ever elected Speaker of the House for the Oregon legislature, a post she held three consecutive sessions - another first. In 1993, Katz won the election for Portland’s mayor, where she served another 12 years until 2005.

In the summer of 2004, Katz had already survived a scare from breast cancer when a routine procedure discovered uterine cancer and changed her life.

“Yah,” she said. “It was difficult."

But there was work to do and the mayor tried to stay strong.

“You know, I thought about that the other day. I never cried. Most people cry and that's okay, but I was afraid if I cried I wouldn’t be able to go on. And so all I did was ask my oncologist, my uterine cancer came around July of my last year in office, I just said, 'keep me alive until the end of my service as mayor, until January 1,'" she recalled.

The cancer was rare and aggressive. The woman who spent much of her adult life calling the shots was suddenly not in charge.

“I am a control freak, there’s no question about it,” she said with a laugh. “I couldn’t control it and I didn’t know what they were going to do and what kind of a cocktail they were going to put together when they decided that chemo was the answer," Katz said.

Her doctor developed a special mix of drugs and chemo to attack the cancer. It worked, but the cure came at a high price.

“I was absolutely shocked when I found out years ago that I had to go to dialysis because of the chemo," Katz said.

Now she dreads the life-saving sessions that take over for her kidneys three days a week for three or four hours. But she's found peace within, realizing she can plan the end of her life.

“The one good thing about all this, I will be in control,” Katz said. “If it’s time to leave, I just don’t show up to dialysis. I don’t call a doctor, well, I might call a doctor, but I don’t want to and you, for what I understand leave this world quietly, ah without pain, and you don’t need any assistance," Katz said. “So ultimately, I have full control."

While it may be disturbing to some, it’s given Katz strength.

"Very comforting,” she said. “I see people in dialysis and I ask myself, 'what are they doing here?' It's time to let go for some people. They're in terrible pain. Their lives are very difficult. And I sit there and say, 'thank God.' I've thought about this, I’ve discussed it with my family and I’ve told them, 'I’ll let you know when I’ve had it and we'll go from there.'"

It's unclear when that day will arrive. In the meantime, Katz embraces life, urging herself on, one day at a time.

“Ha, ha, see if you can get through the day," she said, "Still remain sane, stop feeling sorry for yourself because there may be rough days, and move on."

http://www.kgw.com/news/Vera-Katz-talks-about-dialysis-and-end-of-life-choices-129692913.html

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:30 PM »

nice read...Good reminder.. 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 10:24:58 PM »

I have a good friend who dialysizes with Vera....  she is not a happy camper.....  she often complains about people talking and using cell phones....  my friend sit next to her..... she is not doing well.....depressed for sure... I feel for her.... dialysis is hard.... on everyone....  I would think that she would or could be much happier possible doing home hemo even if she had to hire someone to come in and help.... it certainly would make everyone life a little happier.... and then maybe she might find peace....  its a big decision..... 

We hope Vera finds her happiness....

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »