I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 06:15:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Side effects to meds after transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Side effects to meds after transplant  (Read 3189 times)
skuch65

« on: September 12, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »

I was wondering what some of the side effects are to the meds after transplant.  I work outside in the cold and heat and was wondering if I need to worry about any meds in these conditions. I'm a Letter Carrier for the PO. So there is not much shade or shelter. Thanks for any info. I'm currently listed and planning on transplant in Jan.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »

I don't notice too many side effects...a bit of weight gain from the prednisone (but weight has always been an issue anyway).  Best advice I can give you as a letter carrier....SUNSCREEN.Several of the meds I am taking list "avoid exposure to the sun" and I have already had one episode of skin cancer in three years on the drugs.
Best of luck!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 01:07:25 AM »

I'll have to look for post I made that has a document that list potential side effects fo most of the anti rejection meds used. The thing to keep in mind is that we all react differently to them while there may be some common effects, we may not get them all. Since being a leter carrier, suncreen all year around, keeping hydrated are important things to do.

Give me a couple days and I'll find the post or the file (on old pc back up hard drive).

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 06:08:34 AM »

Yes absolutely be careful with sun.  I am not sure where you are located, here in Australia the sun is no joke and I lost one friend with a transplant to skin cancer which began on his eyelid, even though he wore sunglasses, hats and suncream.    Gregory used to wear a baseball cap (the yankees) and has skin cancer above his ear.  I should say "had", he had it removed.  He calls it his "tile", he has a tile missing there.  Because your medications lower your immunity, cancer can spread more easily.  I'd suggest if you work outdoors, to wear long sleeves (like a cotton shirt or something? and wide brimmed hats, like cricket hats, and stay in the shade where possible.  Sunblock I guess, I hate that stuff.  I'll post a picture of gregory's tile.

and also one of the kind of hat I mean.  A not-mucking-around hat.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Brightsky69

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »

I know one issue that sucks is Prograf (I think is the culprit) or Myfortic, gives me stomach issues.....diarrhea.  :P It's not an all day thing for me but it can be bothersome. I am almost at 1 year ( :bandance;) with my 2nd transplant and I am still on high doses of meds thanks to my super human immune system.  ::) All the immune suppression and my immune system still tests at a pretty normal function.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

Cellcept was a bad one for me (is that Prograf?I'm not sure).  My doctor wanted me to try it while I had my first transplant.  I'd been on Cyclosporin for years and it caused a lot of facial hair growth (a beard don't look that good on a teenage girl. *L*) and he wanted to try to wean me off of it.  I tried the Cellcept, but I was so sick.  I had stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting.  Another doctor stopped it.  I'd only been on it a few months.  When I got my second kidney a few years later, I took Cellcept in the beginning, and it didn't bother me as much.  I was still mostly on Cyclosporin, though

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
mcclane

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:14:20 AM »

i'm pretty much re-iterating what has already been said, stay out of the sun as much as possible.  You're much more prone to skin cancer.  If you have to be out in the sun slather on the sunscreen or cover yourself from head to toe.  I'm not a hot weather person so I try to avoid the sun or stay on the shade.  If I wore a long sleeve shirt in a hot sunny day I'd have a shirt soaked in sweat.

The meds may cause your blood sugar to elevate, so be careful on your sugar intake.

On my first transplant, they gave me a cocktail of cellcept and fk506.  They switched it to sirolimus and prednisone later on.  I'm just on prednisone now (temporarily).
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:18:51 AM »

My doctor wanted me to go on fk506, I think, when I was 18.  After reading the side effects and the miscarriage rate for women on the drug, I said no

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 04:13:02 PM »

Let's see: serious risk of skin cancer, diarrhea, neuropathy (pain) in feet, nightmares, blood pressure and triglyceride issues, possible diabetes from the prednisone. Those are the worst. There are many other minor ones. They'll make you memorize all your drugs, what they do, and what the side effects are before you can leave the hospital.
skuch65

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 07:07:26 PM »

Thanks for all the info.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10:11 PM »

Here is the information sheet I was given when I hqad my transplant on side effects from each type of anti rejection med. Other file shows what the meds look like (brand name form).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:12:32 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
mcclane

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 02:46:26 PM »

Here is the information sheet I was given when I hqad my transplant on side effects from each type of anti rejection med. Other file shows what the meds look like (brand name form).

that's odd, the pdf says hair growth if you take prednisone and sirolimus.  I'm balding up top and have no eye brows left (guinan from star trek  :rofl; )
stuman413

Have been an on and off dialysis for 15 years

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »

Well I had some weight gain, (about 35 lbs), I had sensitivity to sunlight, (I burned a lot easier than I used to), so I had to start wearing sunscreen every where I went, had some diarrhea from the cellcept and prograff, and i had hair growing everywhere, and I mean everywhere, even my ears.  But I think the worst side effect of these meds were the fact that I got sick very easily and it took much longer to recover than others around me.  For instance, one time my nephew wanted me to hold him, (he was 3 at the time) so I obliged, and he promptly sneezed in my face.  I got sick that evening and was sick with some kind of flu like symptoms for almost a week.  Others in the house had the same exact symptoms but they were better within 2-3 days.  So be careful about being around children who are sick.  The best defense I had against this was to wear a surgical mask around children if I couldnt avoid it.  Kind of awkward, especially if you have to go into public, but it was worth it to prevent getting sick all the time. 

-Born in !975 with blockage on bladder
-Doctors do not realize this fact until 8 days after I'm born
-Perform surgery to pull ureters out my back so I can pee (called a eurethrarostomy)
-At 3 years of age the doctors fix the bladder and return my anatomy to normal
-23 years old I have pain in my chest/cannot breath, rushed to hospital, find that my kidneys have failed
-March 1999 - first dialysis in hospital
-January 2003   Living donor transplant from cousin
-April 2009  kidney fails  back on dialysis - present 4x per week
-January 2013 - started nocturnal dialysis 3x week for 6 hours per treatment
-April 2013 - Nocturnal shift is discontinued, treatments reduced to 5 hrs apiece
July 3 2016 Received 2nd transplant from cadaver doner
Two years post transplant doing fantastic so far
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »