I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 04:30:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Thanks for the info on Sodium Profiling !
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thanks for the info on Sodium Profiling !  (Read 1865 times)
Lindia

« on: September 11, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

From reading the Fluid Overload topic - I started to wonder if hubbys DaVita clinic was sodium profiling.   Timing was lucky for us, we had a meeting with the clinic staff on Thursday.    I asked if they were sodium profiling - and the head nephrologist said No -- but then the head RN/Manager - corrected him, and said - Yes, they were -  the nephrologist said, "I didn't think we did that anymore."   The nurse said that they started at 145, etc.   

UM - hello,  why is the head RN running the clinic, and not the nephrologist ?!?!   Well, I made it clear that we wanted NO MORE SODIUM,  and they put it on his charts.   He had his first session on Saturday, with no sodium, and he feels so MUCH BETTER,   he had been thirsty - all the time - and struggling with that,  now, he's not thirsty AT ALL.     I look at the other patients in the clinic and I feel really sorry for them - I've noticed several of them bring in big drinks -- and now - I know why.        THANKS IHD --  we would have never figured this out -  THANKS !!!
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:01:42 PM »

You made my day Lindia. I believe the situation you described is common, docs not knowing the treatment details; nurses believeing they have been left to get the job done, get you to the weight number in your chart, by what ever means.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

again, a very prime example of techs and nurses trying to run the show and doctors not knowing about it.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Lindia

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:44:25 PM »

You made my day Lindia. I believe the situation you described is common, docs not knowing the treatment details; nurses believeing they have been left to get the job done, get you to the weight number in your chart, by what ever means.

The techs trying to run the show are unnerving to me.  I think they have tried to pull off more than my hubby needs (he still has residual function).    Can someone explain a little about "rinse back"  -    one tech figures that into how much to take off, and others  DON'T -   I'm feeling like "getting the job done"  is all that matters, and keeping the client in the dark is a MAJOR problem at our center in Wichita.      :thumbdown;        Now that I only trust one of the techs, its even more stressful.      :thumbdown;
iketchum

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 06:51:16 PM »

I think rinse back is when they return all your blood, they pump saline through the system to push your blood out of the machine and back into you. You may get a little saline, but not much if they are paying attention. Some times, when I have been cramping hard, they will actually give me a little shot of saline to help stop the cramps, and it seems to help my bp also.
Lindia

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:43 PM »

Does anyone know how much fluid is considered the typical rinseback ? ?     Is it .5    ???    I'm not sure, if they want to pull off  1 - -  how does the .5 figure into that ?        :waiting;
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »

I have been told that the rinseback is .5 - so if they are to take 1 kilo off, they will set the machine to 1.5 to allow for the rinseback. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »