I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 03:35:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  back on transplant list after cancer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: back on transplant list after cancer  (Read 1994 times)
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« on: September 10, 2011, 02:16:33 AM »

Hi all.

Life's a train wreck over here.  In the hospital for an infection, will be getting a fistula and a new perma cath on Monday if they can get the infection under control by then,

But, my question is, does any know how long I'll be inactive on the transplant list because of the cancer?

I have a double mastectomy planned but not scheduled because of the current kidney shit.  That will be followed by chemo and meds.  What do you think?  I've been told they'll reactivate me anywhere from 6 months to 5 years after oncology clears me.  Do you know anything more specific or helpful?

Diane
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »

I have heard several people who have had cancer say that they had to wait five years before being re-activated, but I believe (and I could be mis-remembering) both of these folks had skin cancer.  I think I would ask your transplant team; they might have differing time frames for different types of cancer for all I know.  I'd hate to give you a reply based on a guess; this is just too important.  But when you find out, please let us know because that's a vital query.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:51:52 AM »

Thanks!  My transplant team wont give me an answer.  My transplant coordinator is intentionally vague.  But I've been hearing whispers of 5 years from others.  FIVE years!  Oh my God!
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:27:05 AM »

to get back on the list its at least a 3 year wait before you get re activated , but the bonus  :urcrazy; is you should'nt lose your spot on the waiting list(you won't stay stagnate) on the list.
seniority goes on when you started dialysis.  good luck

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »

I have a friend that told me that she needed to be cancer free for 2 years before she could go on the list.  She was almost to that point back in March, and they found more cancer.  She wasn't happy

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:35:58 PM »

WIK, I had always heard 2 years. I think you could probably negotiate time a bit depending on the type of cancer. That is probably why the coordinator is being so vague, because there probably is some variation. I know nothing about your type of cancer, except that I seem to remember reading you say that it was highly treatable. Anyhow, I've been wondering how you are getting on? Please check in when you get a moment. I hope we can offer some support during this ridiculously stressful time.  :cuddle;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »

my husband had kidney cancer and even though he was totally cured they said 5 years. Its because of the anti-rejection drugs- if there is any cancer anywhere it can greatly accelerate it, which is not good. So they want you to be cancer free for sure.  I thought it was unfair until I read more about the drugs. Its nessacary unfortunately, in the long run waiting could ensure you dont die from cancer. I am sorry to say that though, I dont mean to dishearten you.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:09:21 PM by glitter » Logged

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »