I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:24:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  job post transplant
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: job post transplant  (Read 1869 times)
edersham

« on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:02 PM »

When I discovered I was in kidney failure 3 years ago I immediately lost my Coast Guard license to be a charter boat captain and 55% of our income. My other part-time job is in fisheries management and I have managed to continue that through ckd, dialysis and post transplant recovery. My wife has had three major spinal surgeries in 3 years and cannot work. For the last year I have been trying to find work to replace the lost income. I got very frustrated at times but one thing I have learned from ihd is good things happen when things seem darkest. I just signed a consulting contract for the next year that will return us to our pre-kidney failure income. We have a ways to go to get our heads back above water but my stress level is down significantly Hanging out on this site is uplifting and brings good things.

Ed
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:19 PM »

Oh, that is just spectacular news!  But I am curious...what exactly is it about being on dialysis that made you unfit for having a Coast Guard license (or, rather, what did the Coast Guard think it was about dialysis that made you unfit for having a license?)?  Does being on dialysis make you a safety risk or something? ???

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »

Congrats!  There's no stress like financial stress, is there?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

edersham

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 05:55:01 AM »

Moosemom,

The coast guard medical requirements for a license to carry passengers for hire are actually stricter than the FAA requirements for commercial pilots and kidney failure with a creatinine over 3 is a definite deal killer.My ckd was discovered during the physical to renew the license which has to be done every 5 years. I have heard of one person who kept his license while on dialysis but I don't know the circumstances. My creatinine ranged between 5 and 10+ while on dialysis. As far as getting the license back after tx I had to sell the boat in 2009 to help pay our share of over 1 million in medical expenses my wife and I have accrued over the last 3 years. Insurance seems to find a way to wiggle out of a lot of charges other than deductable and co-pay with one loophole or another.  Running a charter boat as a hired skipper doesn't pay much so I have not tried to go through the  license process since tx.
Fisheries management and consulting is my only other area of expertise and opportunities are limited. There were a couple of good ones that I was very qualified for when I was on dialysis but frankly I was too sick to take on more than the part time work I had at the time. Networking with the people I have worked with for almost 20 years in the past finally brought an opportunity my way  a few weeks ago that was just finalized last week. I suppose I could be back in the same spot a year from now but I hope not. Wondering where your going to get the money to pay bills a year from now is a lot less stressful than worrying about paying a bill that was due last month. I loved my 28 years fishing on the ocean and it got me a kidney from one of my customers but just thinking about bouncing around in 6 ft seas kind of makes my new kidney cringe and definitely my arthritic body at age 64. Fortunately my long term memory is still sharp and almost all the other people with my knowledge of the history of management of Alaskan fisheries have either retired or passed(not fortunate) . Also, this motivates me to keep the new bean healthy for another 15 years to provide for my wife and I while doing something I enjoy.  I get to tell "fish stories" and get paid for it.

Ed
coravh

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 07:43:04 AM »

Congratulations. I'm so happy for the good news!

Cora
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »

Edersham  -    :2thumbsup;     :rofl;      :rofl;     :clap;      This is wonderful news.  What a relief for you.  I hope the job goes well.  Medical bills eat us alive.   You give hope to everyone going through all the stages of kidney failure.    :2thumbsup;        I enjoy your posts and like hearing about your life  and your area of the country.   Keep sharing you experiences.    :2thumbsup;     And congratulation on the job.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

Ed, how phenomenal! Thanks for sharing your good news! I am so happy for you. And damn proud to know you, because those challenges you mention would have broken the spirit of most!

Get out there and show them how it's done!
:cheer: :yahoo; :cheer: :yahoo; :cheer:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »