I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 07:16:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Hey all you transplant recipients on Medicare!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey all you transplant recipients on Medicare!!!  (Read 3265 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »

If you have your medications delivered, do you have to sign for them?  Again, people with Medicare (primary or secondary).  I have had Medicare now for 3 years (November will be 3 years) and I've been using the CVS specialty pharm in San Antonio.  I have not ONCE had to sign for my medications.  Medicare became primary in May of this year and still, no signature.  Now I'm being forced to switch to Aetna Specialty Pharm and they are saying that it is a governmental mandated "law" that members on Medicare must sign for delivered meds.  I'm pissed!  I work overnight and I don't get to bed until 5 a.m.  The last thing I need is to have to wake up and go out in the heat or cold to sign for a freaking box that the UPS guy always puts right on my porch.  Why do they have to screw with everything?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Damn it!!!  :banghead;   I hate change!!!  HATE IT!!!!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »

I use to not have to sign for them, but when I switched pharmacies for my anti rejections meds I now have to sign for them if not sent thru the USPS. The company sends them either by driver, UPS, or USPS (No idea why so many methods since I'm never given a choice). I am not sure if it is a Medicare thing though or just to make sure it was delivered.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
C904

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »

I don't have to sign and they are dropped by FedEx and my mom and pop pharmacy sold recently to Walgreens and ever since Walgreens bought them they have not made this change.

Not that this helps you, but I can tell you probably why they are doing this for Medicare drugs.  Medicare over the last two to three years has started implementing tactics that are similar to for profit insurance companies.  These tactics are designed that if there is a misstep the provider does not get paid and the insurance company or Medicare saves money.  I worked in the medical industry that had to deal with Medicare and meds for a decade and Medicare has really ramped up these tactics as of late.  Here is what Medicare can do at any point, they can ask your provider to prove you received the medicine.  Each company kind of makes up their own rules as to how they can combat this.  For some it is proof of delivery with a signature, and for some it is the scanning of the package by the driver who made the delivery.  The company I worked for came up with a sheet that our customer service people would have to ask a litany of questions to prove the medicine is still being used.  The problem with Medicare more than any insurance company is that the language they use for providers is VERY vague and it leads to some companies going into overkill mode to make sure they get paid by Medicare.

I am not aware of any government law that mandates this, unless something came down the pike after March of this year.  I am out of the business as of March, my best guess is this is what middle management told all customer service agents to say and they are doing what is told to them. 

I don't know if you have any other options for mail order.  I use Chrnioscript based out of the Miami area in Florida and they don't have this rule.  I don't know if you could use them or not.
chris73

its me ...Chris

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

Kelly......I HAD aetna insurance they so gave me the run around about getting my meds through the mail!! I never did get my meds on time,I have had gone to my GP  to get a script for prograf and cellcept to last me until i get my meds in the mail, such a hassle!! When they did come the UPS package was setting at my front door...never given a signature for them either.Now im with CIGNA and I can go to my local CVS and pick them up as I need them.  Hard enough as it is....Hope it gets better for you! Chris 73..............Do you get the copay assistance from prograf that pays up to $200 per refill?

11/10/07 esrd
12/07/07 permcath placed
dialysis started 2 days later
transplant 4/15/08  from close friend and coworker  of 12 yrs. Thanks Jeff!!
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:34:31 PM »

Chris, I applied and received a disount card ($200) but I think I can't use it until I'm off Medicare.  I think it says you can't be on any governmental programs.  I plan on using it starting in December.  I'll get the name of the card and get back with you to see if we have the same thing.  I also got some info from my doc.  I'll send that to you, too, and see if you can use it.  I haven't even read the packet yet.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:32:03 PM »

I have to sign for mine, but UPS just leaves them at the complex office if I'm not home.  Also, my service is direct through my transplant hospital, and they let you pick the day you want it delivered on.  If I call Monday, they ask if mailing it Tuesday for Wednesday delivery will work.  The only time they were off, we had a blizzard and the roads were closed.

Maybe just ignore the door, sign the release, stick it back on the door and make them come back the next day?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 07:46:50 PM »

I have aetna farmicy and I get my binders through the mail, no signing but I if there is they'd just leave them at the leasing office.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:50:48 PM »

My mail order drugs usually come in the mail; occasionally UPS.  I never have signed for any.  My scripts come from transplant center for a year. So I get them filled every 3 months.  But, there are times that there could be 2 or 3 thousand $$ of drugs in my mailbox.  I get an email when they have been mailed, so I watch for them.    I do mine all through the internet.  I have had 2 different insurance companies in the past year--one used Medco pharmacy and the other CVS caremark.   What I found interesting; the center that fills the scripts, fills both mail order companies---and charges different co-pays!      One other note, I never sign for any UPS deliveries.  The drop things on the doorstep, ring the bell and by the time I get to the door they are in the truck driving off! 

Couldn't they make things easier by using the same rules for everyone?  Dealing with meds can be a pain.  Hope you get this all in order.    :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »

Chris, I applied and received a disount card ($200) but I think I can't use it until I'm off Medicare.  I think it says you can't be on any governmental programs.  I plan on using it starting in December.  I'll get the name of the card and get back with you to see if we have the same thing.  I also got some info from my doc.  I'll send that to you, too, and see if you can use it.  I haven't even read the packet yet.

8/30/11 Sorry, had pc problem and didn't know this posted.

First, I oo have Walgreens and if shipped UPS, no signature, USPS, no signature, driver service, then signature.

Kelly,, I keep getting those discount cards from Astellas for Prograf because I signed up for Transplant Living that is sent via snail mal every two months. Somehow I get 2 envelopes each time and they always have the discount card. I just threw them out too. They also send you other stuff jut for signing up if your pre transplant or post transplant such as aweekly pill box, information books that I have used to post pictures of in the forums, and other stuff like this big odd shape stapler,
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:36:11 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
LarryG

Grateful to my donor, I feel great!.

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 05:49:39 PM »

Mine are delivered and I get them within 24 hours and I have never had to sign for them.

Larry

LWG
Diagnosed ESRD Jan 2008
Wegener's granulomatosis
Uncontrollable Hypertension
AV Fistula inserted Jan 2 2009
Transplant waiting list University Illinois Chicago Division of Transplant.
Angioplasty and Coil placement to limit Blood Flow from Fistula Jan. 18 2011
Transplant by living donor March 28 2011
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:17:41 PM »

I'm calling Medicare tomorrow.  I mean I know they only deliver once a month and I'll only have to be availble the day of delivery, but still.  I haven't had to sign up to this point and I would prefer to not have to start.  I only have Medicare 3 more months, so it's not that big a deal.  I just get all worked up.  :)

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 09:04:53 PM »

Typical lazy me didn't call Medicare....BUT..... surprise, surprise my meds arrived today via whoever (UPS/FedEx) and I wasn't home.  They were left on my porch.   ;D  No signature required, Aetna!   :boxing;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »