I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:02:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  hemo : we're gonna do it - travel
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hemo : we're gonna do it - travel  (Read 28671 times)
bevvy5

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »

Hawaii has a 6 month to a year waiting list at its dialysis centers. Plan early.

We actually emailed the dialysis centre in Kauai on October 8th for our trip starting January 12th.  It was no problem at all.  We had to change our dates about three weeks ago and again, it was no problem.

I should say that we're Canadians so maybe that has something to do with it.  We're paying their "tourist rate" which might be more than they can charge Americans - don't know how that works.

Actually, it's harder for us here in Canada to travel within Canada.  We switched our trip from the interior of B.C. to Palm Springs in April becuase there was no way he could get in for scheduled dialysis.

M3Riddler

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

just abit of background, when i was on pd, we would travel once a year, whether it be cruises or what have you.  It was simple, I would let baxter know of my itinerary, they would organize the shipment of the pd bags, and when i arrived at my destination, the pd bags were there waiting for me.

only thing i had to bring was items like mini caps, clamps, bandages (for the pd catheter - showering), tapes, and a collapsible iv pole.

when the doctor told me i could no longer do pd but do hemo, i was devastated.  my first thought was : our traveling is now over.

but after talking to the social worker, the nurses, and reading the posts of others who have traveled on hemo, my wife and I decided we're gonna do it, we're going to go somewhere.

we're looking at 6 days in seattle.  we're familiar with the city, so we thought this would be a good test to see how treatments go.  if it goes well, we may decide to look at other cities.

It'll be a first, i've never been to a US health care facility, so one of the things that i'm prepared for is the bill at the end of the treatment. 

i've already started to make arrangements with 2 dialysis centers : northwest kidney centre and davita.  Only reason i put my name on 2 is that neither place could confirm a spot for the date requested (mid november).  both said something about the 'schedule' is not ready yet for the month of november.  NKC indicated that they would get a better idea next month (sept), while davita told me they would know for sure a month before my requested date (mid oct).

we like to book our accomodations/flights early, but this really puts us in a bind.  do we book the accomodations/flights now or wait ?  I have a hunch they'll get me in, it is a matter of where and what time.

another issue i was wondering about : can i bring some of the supplies to the centre ?  my hospital provides me with all i need to do dialysis, if i can bring some of the stuff to the centre, hopefully that can lower the final bill ?

I applaud you on wanting to travel on dialysis. Most fear this and do not want the hastle. Dialysis is just another bump in the road but we can still live great lives. We just have to make more arrangements than others.   Yayyyy for travel....

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook