I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 11:23:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Today I used ESRD to get out of............
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Today I used ESRD to get out of............  (Read 16812 times)
pagandialysis

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 12:35:45 PM »

I used it to get out of going to see Conan with my friends. I loved the original and don't want to see the re-make. I used the time to go with my wife to another theater and see Fright Night!

8)

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »

KareninWa started a post just like this   http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18172.msg314458#msg314458

just thought I share

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
pitagory

Sorry guys for my spelling and punctuation

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »

I use this one all the time to get out of leaving early I just say I'm on Pd and need to do my tretment so I get to leave early or if the party starts   to late I just say I cant go because I need to do this at such time.I aslo use  I only have 1/3 of the enery you do so I cant go I'm to tierd.

"I dont need easy,  I just need posible"
Arcticat2000

What. Me worry?

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 01:49:56 PM »

I have a disabled placard.......  I use it too.  I'm just waiting for someone to say something to me so I can pull up my sleeve and say  "LOOK I"m on lifesaving dialysis 3 times a week where all the blood is sucked out of me, cleaned, and shoved back in me"  So, I'll park there if I want to.  It is great during Christmas shopping.

+1
I only use my placard when the weather is lousy or my fluid levels are up.  It is nice to have.

ESRD diagnosed June 2003
Dialysis begins July 2003
Nocturnal Dialysis since Aug.2005-present
3 nights per week @ 7hrs per session
Heart bypass surgery Nov.2007 w artificial valve
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 02:37:37 PM »

You've kinda got the Golden ticket.....
    :rofl;   I think this only applies if you still urinate! Lol!   I have not actually used this myself but my husband has (with my permission and blessing). He's gotten out of things at work and even got our landlord to fix something he'd been putting off fixing by telling him that my neph was concerned about me living under such conditions!

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
pklipe57

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »

I had never played the dialysis card, but last week my husband had surgery and was stuck in the recovery room waiting on a room for several hours.   I had to leave and go to dialysis.  I went to the desk to see if there was anything I could do.  As I was talking to them, the recovery room called and said that my husband told them I needed to go to dialysis and he needed to see me before I left.  I was invited to go to the recovery room to see him.  I was relieved to see him before I had to leave.  So actually my husband played the dialysis card.
lou

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2011, 03:31:36 PM »

This is a great thread! I played the d card a few times but Ive only used the transplant card once and i felt really guilty!

It was a friends wedding last year on a Monday and i couldn't just book the day of work as im a teacher so i went away for the wedding and called in sick on the Monday. I just said i had some strange blood results, quoted a few numbers at them and said i had to go into hospital for more bloods.

The wedding was lovely but felt terrible the next day when my colleagues were all concerned and i had to say everything was fine again! Didn't feel bad doing it while on d but feel really guilty using my transplant...guess im scared i might just jinx something!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2011, 04:18:54 PM »

When I was in high school, grade 12, I had English first period in the morning, and there were just some mornings that I didn't feel like discussing the symbolism in A Separate Peace (God, I hated that book), so I'd just skip the class.  The teacher would usually see me later in the day, probably cuz her classroom was next to the cafeteria, and she'd ask me where I was.  I'd tell her that I had to go for bloodwork that morning and that the waiting room was full, so by the time I got out of there and to the school, the class was almost over anyway.  What she didn't know, was that as a transplant patient, I had priority, so I could jump the line. *L*

What I think is cool about this, the teacher went to my mother and told her what I was doing.  Mom told her to leave me alone, and flunk me if she had to.  The way she put it to me was that she told the teacher that I'd been so much crap in my life, and for the first time, I was actually having some fun.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:13 PM »

I get out of grocery shopping regularly by telling hubby I do not feel well.  :thx;

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »

I live in Oregon, my family is in Minnesota. My mom wants me to go visit them every year. I think we should alternate visits as long as they remain healthy and able to travel, or even meet somewhere for a "real" vacation. I hate giving up all of my vacation time to small-town Minnesota where I spend the whole week sitting in their living room playing solitaire. It means I never get to go anywhere even remotely vacation-like. Mom started playing the age card several years ago as a way to insist I make the trek out there every year. She asked me a month ago when I was going to visit them again. I told her I'm not allowed to go anywhere since I'm on the transplant list. Suddenly, she's not too old to travel and they're thinking about coming out here.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »

I live in Oregon, my family is in Minnesota. My mom wants me to go visit them every year. I think we should alternate visits as long as they remain healthy and able to travel, or even meet somewhere for a "real" vacation. I hate giving up all of my vacation time to small-town Minnesota where I spend the whole week sitting in their living room playing solitaire. It means I never get to go anywhere even remotely vacation-like. Mom started playing the age card several years ago as a way to insist I make the trek out there every year. She asked me a month ago when I was going to visit them again. I told her I'm not allowed to go anywhere since I'm on the transplant list. Suddenly, she's not too old to travel and they're thinking about coming out here.

so, never tell her that isn't the case... or if you go on vacation, it'll have to be kept secret

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Iwannabean

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:42 AM »

Can you get a handicap placard for your vehicle if your on dialysis?

Iwannabean
Brightsky69

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 06:17:59 AM »

Not in Virginia   ::)

I don't know about this.... yesterday I had stopped to get some lunch and this guy parked in a handicapped space, plates and all. After he got his lunch he put the bag in his car and walked down to the video store at the other end of the shopping center. Walking that far and handicapped???
Of course he could have been borrowing someones car?? Who knows?

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Subeat

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 10:42:15 AM »

One of the other patients at my center told me I would automatically be getting one.  Well, when I asked the neph about it, she looked at me as if I had sprouted a 3rd head.  I have no need for one on a daily basis, but we attend several events for my daughter that are held at some pretty large venues (convention centers, pro-football stadiums)...still a lot of necessary walking even once inside.  She really made me feel like an idiot/lazy slacker for asking, which I believe she could have done differently.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:12 AM »

So far (thankfully!) I have not felt like I have needed a handicap placard. When Jim and I go shopping, we know which stores have the electric carts and are easier to get around if I need to.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Brightsky69

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 12:38:39 PM »

Come to think of it...even if he was borrowing someones car handicapped plates included, why was he parking in a handicapped space when he obviously had no problem walking.
Taking up a handicapped sapce from someone who may have really needed it.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:26 AM »

I have one, but it's not because I'm on dialysis.  It's because I'm legally blind, and walking through parking lots, especially after dark, is incredibly dangerous for me. It really has nothing to do with how far I can walk, and more to do with how quickly I can get out of the parking lot and out of the way of cars that I may or may not see.

btw, I'm not the one driving.. *L*

I get a lot of weird looks sometimes when we park in a disabled spot.  I get looks when using elevators meant for those in wheelchairs.  It used to bother me, but it doesn't anymore.  If I didn't need to do it, I wouldn't

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
pagandialysis

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »

Riki,I understand. I have a parking permit as well and people always give me dirty looks for using it, I have it because I have several herniated discs in my lower lumbar.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »

Come to think of it...even if he was borrowing someones car handicapped plates included, why was he parking in a handicapped space when he obviously had no problem walking.
Taking up a handicapped sapce from someone who may have really needed it.
Yeah, I think as Riki and pagandialysis have shown, it is unwise and unfair to judge people based on a few moments of information. You just do not know their whole story and unless you want to be judged and policed by strangers, I would not make assumptions about others. Instead, I would accept that there will always be people who will abuse the system, but you won't necessarily know which people they are.

Renal patients seem particularly sensitive to comments of "you don't look sick". Well, that goes both ways. We are not the only population that endures this problem of people assuming we are faking, or that our situation is not that bad, or whatever.

I believe the vast majority of people do not use the placard even when they have it, because there is this idea that at any moment in time, there may be someone else who needs it more. I would say trust yourself - that if it would help to use the placard, use it. You do not have to answer to anyone, and if someone challenges you, tell them where they can go, from me if not from yourself! :)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:32:11 AM by cariad » Logged

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 11:45:26 AM »

My ophthalmologist has recommended that I begin cane training, so they probably won't be giving me those dirty looks much longer

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
pagandialysis

« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2011, 05:30:25 PM »

You might like this. I get out of the car at a restaurant, a teen looks at me and says "What the p*ck makes you so handicapped?"  My reply? "None of your damn business kid." The wife thought it was funny.

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

You might like this. I get out of the car at a restaurant, a teen looks at me and says "What the p*ck makes you so handicapped?"  My reply? "None of your damn business kid." The wife thought it was funny.
Oh, yeah! This made my day all right!
ROCK ON, pagandialysis! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2011, 06:29:07 AM »

LOVE IT!!  take that, nosy a-hole kid...

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2011, 07:41:36 AM »

Here's another thought on the handicapped placard, although admittedly, this one does not apply in most places.

In a city near me, there is a park with one row of parking spaces.  It has 6 handicapped spaces, which is a lot considering there's maybe about 30 spaces total (that's a guess).  So, of course, the handicapped spaces are always available.  I remember going there and seeing a handicapped car parked in a regular spot.  It kind of bothered me, because that car was taking up a valuable regular spot!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2011, 07:53:52 AM »

Here's another thought on the handicapped placard, although admittedly, this one does not apply in most places.

In a city near me, there is a park with one row of parking spaces.  It has 6 handicapped spaces, which is a lot considering there's maybe about 30 spaces total (that's a guess).  So, of course, the handicapped spaces are always available.  I remember going there and seeing a handicapped car parked in a regular spot.  It kind of bothered me, because that car was taking up a valuable regular spot!

KarenInWA
Karen, I think this completely relevant. Gwyn and I were talking about this the other day. Has anyone ever been to a lot and seen all of the handicapped spaces taken? The one place that I've seen run out of handicapped spaces is our local Walgreens lot. They are in a popular part of town, and I believe they only have 2, maybe 3, handicapped spaces. The irony is not lost on me that the pharmacy would be the ONE place in this city that does not have abundant handicapped spaces.

That is a fascinating perspective on a person with a placard taking a spot away from people who do not have both options. He or she undoubtedly thought they were doing the right thing. When Marc, Gwyn and I went to Red Rock, Marc had his placard. None of us was comfortable with the idea of parking in a handicapped spot and then trekking off on a 3-mile hike. So we took a regular space. Those lots tend to be packed, and that day was no exception, so perhaps we irritated someone without a placard. It does underscore that people with placards should not spend any energy trying to second guess the thoughts of the people around them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »