I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 01:18:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Lies My Clinic Told Me
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lies My Clinic Told Me  (Read 11039 times)
Comeback Kid(ney)

« on: August 16, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »

I am curious to hear from others some of the lines that were used on you by your clinic to lessen the blow of doing dialysis. The favorite line used on me was used by my original nephrologist and second social worker. They both uttered the phrase that I should just think of doing dialysis as a little part-time business. EXCUSE ME. This is a full-time business and I do not gaid paid for all my hard work with the grand prize of surviving another day. These staffs give me that warm, fuzzy feeling! How about you?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 06:43:31 PM »

Well, I bet that line works on a few patients...

I loved it when the nurse told me my periods would just stop and I wouldn't have to mess with them anymore.  NOT!  Heparin just makes them worse and worse.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 08:19:05 PM »

Well, fortunately, we do not have to listen to In-Centers lines anymore!  THANK GOODNESS!!!!!!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »

Several years ago, I was really struggling with all of this, and I made an appt with a psychiatrist.  When she said to think of dialysis as a job, I walked out.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:38:53 PM »

That must be a pretty popular line then, huh?  A business, a job, whatever.  Ummm, last I checked, you could quit a job and just be broke, not dead.  Not that it doesn't take up as much time.  But seriously?

I've noticed not a single one of them ever says to think of it as life support.  Guessing they think that's too depressing!  Oddly, I preferred that thought.  "I have to do this to live.  If I don't, my other choice is to die.  So I do what I gotta do so I can get on with the parts of my life that are worth doing." 

Guess I've been diabetic for so long now, I don't like sugar-coating!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:32 PM »

That reminds me of a news story I read years ago:
Patient’s Dialysis Is Like a Job, but Doesn’t Pay the Bills
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/nyregion/18neediest.html?oref=slogin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »

little part-time business.
[/quote]

funny thing , this was exactly the thought process  i used.

dialysis is my part time volunteer job.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 05:03:11 AM »

So here's where we all differ so much person to person in how we view things or take things or whatever.  Mind you, it's one thing to arrive at a perspective on your own and quite another to have someone else glibly tell you that a particular way of thinking about something is the way to go.  Sometimes the tone in which something is said can just be the point of rejecting a concept

I've had jobs I didn't enjoy, jobs that didn't pay so well and jobs that had parts I "hated".  However I did them all because of necessity.  I saw D like that except that the necessity was life support, as jbeany said, and living as well as I can is a powerful motivator for me.

I very much considered dialysis my job...and I tried to create a life around it...no point being a workaholic.  I tried to learn everything I could to be better at it, I tried to become less dependent on others for supervision, I brought work home with me sometimes, I had to take extra training in aspects related to the job...nutrition, pharmaceuticals, medical procedures etc etc...and I had to try to not crush everyone around me with the burden of my "profession".  People get tired of constant "shop talk" no matter how fascinating it might be.   At times the work felt more like a prison sentence but I really worked to move away from that analogy since feeling less powerful undermined my ability to focus and get various aspects of the job done.

With my first transplant (23 years) and now with my second, I still consider this renal business my job.  I've received a promotion and the view is better from this new office but the responsibilities remain.  I try to be at the gym every day that I can and I aim for a 2 hour workout.  If I can't be there, I try to walk or do some Pilates mat exercises or resistance with bands.  I also choose my diet for maximum benefit to my body, still very little salt, minimal saturated fats and so on.  I do this for the health of my heart, my vascular system and the rest since I know that we run higher risks of secondary illnesses than "ordinary" people.  I keep up with a schedule of various appointments to doctors, dentists and the pharmacy.  I make sure I never run low on meds....and the list of responsibilities goes on.

I do this job because the rewards are tremendous for me.  Paying jobs bring monetary rewards that allow one to subsist and hopefully do a bit more...like travel, go out, see shows etc.  If I don't do this job well, I either die or live a very reduced life in terms of quality.  Just like my real jobs, there were many rewards that had nothing to do with money.  BUT, this job is more like being a parent, although I've never done that particular job...quitting is NOT an option if one wants to be successful.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 05:31:33 AM »

I commend you on your efforts. Most of the time, I feel like you do in terms of how I look at this job. But, recently, my dialsis time was increased back up toi 8 hours from 6 and yesterday, in the moment, that is how I felt. There are moments that I feel stronger and then other moments that it feels hopeless. I know there are many in the network who feel the same way. As appreciative as I am to be alive, I have my moments and that is why I find it vert cathartic to express what I am feeling at the moment. Don't read too much into a post because you are not always capturing the true essence of the person. As in my case, it may be just a way to vent my frustrations. Being able to have a place to let your hair down is very healthy. I do like the fact that you exercise a lot because I do to and that euphoric feeling is what gets me through the tough days.
Meinuk

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 05:48:43 AM »

I always considered dialysis a part time job.  I had to do it, not skip work, deal with all of the administrative headaches and the annoyance, but my payday was that I got to live another day.

Especially when I started home hemo.  It was a lot of work. I used to joke with my friends that the law school was work, and dialysis was my part time job.  Between advocacy and treatments, dialysis took up all of my free time.  It helped me to compartmentalize that aspect of my life.

I agree with Monrein, we do differ from person to person on how we perceive things. I have been offended by people in the dialysis world, when others were not, but I have also been inspired.  It also depends on the timing.  The world has a lot of grey areas that can be interpreted in any way that you choose.

On a positive note, the BEST line ever said to me by a dialysis worker ?  "It is twenty minutes of terror and hours of tedium."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:56:52 AM by Meinuk » Logged

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 06:00:28 AM »

I was told the same thing by the social worker...... with the exception that she went on to calculate the hours for me  >:(

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Meinuk

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:28 AM »

Comeback Kid,

Vent away!  Seriously, ALL of us have had moments of darkness and moments of light. When I think about how much RAGE I have, I think about how much I appreciate IHD.  It is a safe place to VENT, a place to blow off steam. Living with CKD-5 is like living in a pressurecooker.

Someone asked me yesterday "Do you love me?" My very honest answer was "That depends on my mood". (it is an inside joke - but there is always a hint of truth in jokes)

Living with this disease makes us a slave to our emotions.  The cool thing is that everyone here is either living with this or loves someone who is going through it.  It is a very understanding group.  (as long as you don't discuss politics)

Research Dialysis Units:  http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/

52 with PKD
deceased donor transplant 11/2/08
nxstage 10/07 - 11/08;  30LS/S; 20LT/W/R  @450
temp. permcath:  inserted 5/07 - removed 7/19/07
in-center hemo:  m/w/f 1/12/07
list: 6/05
a/v fistula: 5/05
NxStage training diary post (10/07):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0
Newspaper article: Me dialyzing alone:  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=7332.0
Transplant post 11/08):  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=10893.msg187492#msg187492
Fistula removal post (7/10): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=18735.msg324217#msg324217
Post Transplant Skin Cancer (2/14): http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=30659.msg476547#msg476547

“To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of thought.” - Henri Poincare
Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 06:17:37 AM »

Non-politically speaking, I couldn't have said it better myself!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:21 AM »

Omg, Jbeany, you too, with the periods, huh?         :(    Well, I finally got my heparin reduced to half the dosage, hopefully it will help.     :)

I was told the same thing, to think of dialysis as a "part time job" Hmmmmmmmmm must be a "universal" one liner.     ::)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:37:45 AM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
kporter85db

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 09:16:01 AM »

If you really think about, being on dialysis is much more like being a slave to it then an employee of it.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 09:24:39 AM »

Kporter,

You are so right. I was just this morning telling one of my clients that I feel like an endentured slave at times. Again, I am grateful to be alive but let's talk reality and this is not a quality of life that I envisioned for myself. IT STINKS!!! This is why I am a believer that one day there will be a cure to help regenerate the kidneys. Actually, there is. It is called adipose stem cell treatments that are being administered in Mexico and Germany but god forbid they should be used in this country. And we know why... If we all started getting better, there would be no need for long-term care anymore. The FDA would never improve it because as one nephrologist said to me that a cure is light years away! REALLY!!!
Willis

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »

Getting back on topic...  ;)

My PD clinic nurse and neph (and I like them generally) insist that the rule to keep my HGB between 10-12 is for my own good. But the normal range for adult males is something like 13-18. OK, I know at my age (58) and being on dialysis changes things and TOO high would not be good either. But when I was at about 13.5 I felt GREAT for the first time in decades. But no, the protocol says <12 so they cut off my EPO and I crashed for 3 weeks until it had dropped to 11.2 and they were able to give me some more. (And I felt good again after 2 days.)  :boxing;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 10:32:33 AM »

If you really think about, being on dialysis is much more like being a slave to it then an employee of it.

Maybe more like working in the family business.  You can't quit without dealing with a lot of guilt!  (When I worked for my parents, the running joke was they couldn't fire me 'cause slaves had to be sold.)

paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »

Part time?

It is more like a fulltime job IMO.
Watch what we eat, how much we can drink.  I have to hook up for 9 hours a night order supplies set up machine.
With a part time job you get to go home and do nothing for the rest of the day or do what you want to do.

But im glad dialysis can do what it does do for us  :thumbup;  Or this would be a boring place to visit....

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:47 AM »

As Jimmy Stewart once said, "what a wonderful life". Yeah right!!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

Monrein has a point.  It is one thing to read her post and think, "Yeah, she's been through it, so her perspective is valuable."  But I can virtually PROMISE you that the psychiatrist who told me I should think of D as a job doesn't know her potassium from her phosphorus and probably doesn't really know everything that kidneys do in the first place.  She probably doesn't even know how to spell "dialysis."

Nephs and renal nurses probably think they know what you're going through, but they don't.  In my opinion, they really need to rid themselves of the job analogy.  It's insulting and it's glib.  They need to find something else to say.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:28 PM »

MooseMom,

I agree. In fact, I will take it one step further and the best thing for them to say is NOTHING! We are all intelligent enough to eventually figure it all out.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »

I've been thinking about this job/dialysis analogy, and there's another reason I hate it so much, and that is that it doesn't take into account how bad you feel physically.  Sure, we've all had jobs that we've had to take out of necessity or jobs that we have hated, but how many of us have been forced to take jobs that can eventually kill you?  If dialysis, aka your job, is giving you back your health, then that's great.  But how many people on thrice weekly, inclinic dialysis are getting truly healthy?  Maybe dialysis is keeping you alive, but is it keeping you healthy?  For most people, dialysis gradually robs you of your health.  As it is practiced in the US, it is not restorative; it is risky, filled with danger, but you are FORCED to do it if you want to live.  Most rotten jobs don't run the risk of killing you, and if they DO, chances are you can find a different job if you are unwilling to take the risk.

If you are dialyzing at home or if you have a transplant, yes, it is a job, but at least you have more control over the risks you are taking with this "job".  You can choose to dialyze at home, and you can choose to have a transplant, so the fact that you have those choices can make you more accepting of the rigamarole that goes with it.  Plus, there is the added bonus of generally being in better health, and THAT in and of itself makes life more bearable.  But if you are one of the huge majority of inclinic patients getting dialysis in the US, then the job analogy becomes false.

Comeback Kid(ney)

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 02:53:07 PM »

MooseMom,

You hit the nail on the head. Our wonderful government would love to not have to pay out social security to the elderly and if they had their druthers, they would love to see our kidney populace eventually destroyed because of the drain it puts on our health care system. I'll make you a bet that one of the first entitlements to be cut will be in dialysis care. Instead of medicare covering the first 3 years after a transplant, they will roll it back to one or two years. Unless your phenomenally rich. Where is the money suppose to come from to now pay for the anti-rejection drugs. It is a systematic process to eventually do us all in. I hate to be so blunt but that is the real truth behind the kidney industry.
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 02:56:34 PM »

If dialysis is a "part-time" job, when is my vacation?
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »