I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 08:12:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  First Year Anniversary of My Renal Failure
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Year Anniversary of My Renal Failure  (Read 1896 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: August 14, 2011, 07:32:04 AM »

Today marks the first year annivesary of my renal failure and starting dialysis. I can't belive one year has passed. I have lost a lot of weight in the one year (I really think now all the weight I had gained was fluid)

I wonder where I will be a year from now. LOL I really don't know. A transplant could take place, it may not. Time will tell.

This one year  milestone of dialysis for me personally  is a pretty important one to me and I just thought I'd share it with you all.     :grouphug;

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »

Thank you for reminding people like me that starting dialysis does not mean the end of life.  I'm so glad you posted this!  Congratulations on surviving what I'm sure has been a difficult year.  I hope your next year will be your last on D!  Good luck!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:16:18 PM »

Here's to many more years - with as few of them as possible involving D!   :beer1;  Each milestone you reach with ESRD is a good thing, though.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 06:06:52 PM »

Thank you MM and JBeany, you both are very sweet. Thank you.

Ironically, I went to an Aunt's wake today. She died of Alzheimer's. Seeing her in the casket I though: Omg, that could have been me a year ago today. How ironic goiing to a wake exactly one year later......it could have been me in a casket a year ago.

I'm really glad I inspired you, MM.....thank you both for your congrats and best wishes, it really means a lot to me!     :grouphug;
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 06:20:49 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:10:37 PM »

Here's to many more years to enjoy life.   :wine;

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »

Thank you, Del.     :cuddle;  I've been reflecting a lot today   :)

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »

before you realise it'll be kidneyversarry you'll be celebrating :beer1;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 08:24:15 PM »

It was 20 years in February since I first started. Hopefully, 19 years from now, you can look back at a rather uneventful time on dialysis, with a quick and successful transplant.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 10:07:26 PM »

Cordelia  so happy that you have survived a year. Continue to educate yourself about dialysis and living the healthiest possible life. I do hope a transplant is in your future if that is what you ultimately want. Take care of youself!! Thank you for sharing this with us.. :)

I started D on July 27th of last year. I found myself being really reflective on that day beingl like "wow if someone could have told me I would have gotten a kidney within a year, would it have made dealing with D easier?"  I don't know but I am glad I am still here to think about it....

Here's to all the survivors out there!! here here!!   :beer1;

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 04:19:48 PM »

Hi Ang, Riki and Rsudock      :grouphug;

Thank you for all your warm well wishes!  It will be an adventure, the next year, one that I don't know how it will go, what will happen......

I sure keep praying and hoping I will have my transplant. Sometimes, it feels like an eternity and other times it feels as though the time has gone by incredibly fast.

I am trying to keep the faith.......some days it's easier than others. Thank you all so much for your sweet and very kind words, it means so much to me     :grouphug;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »