I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:21:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Doing the insurance dance today...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doing the insurance dance today...  (Read 2616 times)
kellyt
Elite Member

« on: August 05, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »

I received a call from the specialty pharmacy today stating that my insurance (Aetna, who is currently secondary to Medicare until the end of Nov) has stated that my specialty pharmacy (CVS) is no longer "in network" (this must have happened in the last 20 days, cause they were "in network" last month).  And in order for Aetna to pay their 20% cost of my Prograf and Cellcept after Medicare pays I have to meet my "out of network" yearly deductible of...are you sitting down?....$12,000.00.    :rofl;  Needless to say I'll be switching to the Aetna specialty pharmacy which is "in network" (go figure).  This is all such crap.  And how outrageously stupid...$12,000.00.  Who would opt for an "out of network" pharmacy with that deductible?  WTH?
And now I have to get my other 4 meds from my "local pharmacy", which is okay except I have to physically drive there every month to pick-up instead of having them delivered to me via UPS.  This may sound trivial to those who don't get their meds delivered, but I'm telling ya, delivered is THE BEST!   :clap; 

grrrrr!  I did get some information on the drug company that makes Prograf, as well as registered for some Prograf discount card.  However, I can't use the discount card until I'm off the Medicare, but apparently it saves me $200 a month.  I'll take what I can get.

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:20:33 PM »

Can you look into a local pharmacy that offers delivery? Not sure if you have Walgreens out by you, but you can choose between delivery or pick up and delivery is free.All prescriptions you have with them can be accessed via computer to reorder or have set up as auto refill.

I have had problems with CVS also with nsurance and idiots behind the phone there, but have had similar problems throughout the years with mail order pharmacies and insurance. Think I am on either my 5th or 4th mail order pharmacy in 11 years.

Good Luck Kelly

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:14:36 PM »

This isn't a problem with CVS.  It's an insurance problem.   Aetna has been wanting me to switch to their specialty pharmacy with home delivery for a while and I've always passed cause I was happy with CVS.  Well, $12,000.00 out of pocket deductible changed my mind. lol

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »

I'm doing an insurance dance today, too.  One that involves a lot of stomping...

Got my Medicare "this is not a bill" in the mail today.  Love the charges for the 7 different different docs on my "Pain Management" team - 300 bucks a pop for every time one of them popped in my room for 3 minutes to ask me to name a number between 1 and 10 - who also managed to pop out of sight every time the pain meds going into my epidural ended up running out because no one bothered to answer the buzzer....   :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik; :Kit n Stik;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

Do they have a list of pharmacies to choose from Kelly so you could decide?

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »

And now I have to get my other 4 meds from my "local pharmacy", which is okay except I have to physically drive there every month to pick-up instead of having them delivered to me via UPS.  This may sound trivial to those who don't get their meds delivered, but I'm telling ya, delivered is THE BEST!   
Not for me.

I'm not home much of the day when the delivery guy comes.  So I'm always having to arrange with the property manager or a neighbor to sign for the meds package in my absence.

Whereas my nearest CVS is located less than 3 blocks from my home.  The pharmacy there would hold the meds for me, and I could walk over to pick them up at any time.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 07:55:19 PM »

Yeah, I get deliveries here from my transplant pharm.  I hate it, too.  It's UPS - and they tap on the door once, so lightly you can barely hear it, even if I am home, and then run back down the stairs and dump everything at the complex office.  Then I have to find a time to go get everything.  PITA.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »

You two are right.  I work from home and am usually home during the day (or my husband is), so home delivery is convenient for me, but not for everyone.   For a while there, though, if the front gate was closed they UPS guy would either put the cardboard box of meds in a rather large plastic bag and tie it to my gate, which wasn't too bad, but on more than one occasion he just put them in the bag and tossed them over the gate.  WTH?  Once, when we had the donkeys they got ahold of the box, but thankfull didn't destroy it!  I had to make a complaint.  They bring it up to the house now.

Chris, I don't know if I have a "choice" if I decide to use the "Aetna Specialty Pharm".  I haven't heard back from them yet.  I need to call them tomorrow.  I think, however, they said they would do the 90 day scripts for me though.  I hate all this!!
Thankful to be one of the fortunate ones that have insurance, but still hate all the hassle.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »

Another thing I noticed is that some require a signature, so if no one is home, you do not get medications. However after having problems of meds missing, this was good for me unless I have several doctor appointments that whole week. So that would be something to inquire about of their delivery procedure.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

i called them today and it ended up just being a totally confusing conversation.  First off they couldn't find me in their system.  Second, they were telling me copay amounts.  When I asked if those copays would be affective in December after my Medicare runs out, she just kept telling me she didn't work for Medicare.  I finally said "Thank you.  Go to lunch, cause you need it".  She was crabby.  Now I wait for them to contact me to discuss delivery and such.  I hate change.  >:(

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »

Hindsight here talking, should have asked for her manager >:D

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010