I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 10:29:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Organ donated 'nudge' for drivers in new DVLA process
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ donated 'nudge' for drivers in new DVLA process  (Read 1521 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: July 31, 2011, 11:54:09 AM »

(UK story from the BBC) From tomorrow all drivers applying for a new or replacement driving licence will have to state whether they want to be an organ donor or not.  I think it's a good idea (I think you already do it in the States?) but some of the comments are from people who just sound so uneducated and ignorant (and whiney).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14341553

(Gah! Why can I never get the link thingy to work!)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 11:56:00 AM by Poppylicious » Logged

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:28:25 PM »

As for the US, I think it depends upon the state in which you live, but I know that in Illinois, there is a sticker on the back of your license where you can indicate that you want your organs to be donated.

Here we have to have our license on us when we drive; I remember when I lived in the UK, that was not required.  Has that changed?  Do you still have that big unwieldy pink license thingy (like I got back in the early 90s), or do y'all have a credit card sized license nowadays?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:49 PM »

I don't think you need your licence on you when you drive (I don't drive so I only have a provisional licence anyway) but we now have credit card sized laminated pink licences with photos(!) so I think most people keep them in their wallets/purses.  You still have a paper licence too though, but I don't know the reasoning behind it (if you hire a car or have to report to a police station with your licence or somesuch, they need to see both licences so I think the paper bit is the most important.) I'm so very ignorant on some matters.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »