I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 01:29:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  pap smear?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: pap smear?  (Read 6295 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: July 27, 2011, 03:16:53 PM »

why? lol
And ... if a pap comes back abnormal? does that automatically deny u from being on a list?

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »

why? lol
And ... if a pap comes back abnormal? does that automatically deny u from being on a list?

Because they want to check for active infection or malignancy, both of which may overwhelm the body if you are on post-transplant immunosuppressants.

If it comes back abnormal, they'd probably want you to do what needs to be done to get a "normal" reading, and then you could be listed.  Even if you're not trying to get on the list and you get an "abnormal" result, wouldn't you want that to be investigated?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

considering that cervical cancer, if undetected, can be a killer, I figure it's a no brainer that a pap smear is required - and anything that is needed after having an abnormal one.  Cancer is nothing to play around with, and it certainly doesn't go well with transplants and immunosuppresent meds. I just had my last one in May, so if my Tx clinic needs those results, I am more than happy to provide them with that.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »

Well, of course to test for cancer... I didnt know if there was any other reason reguarding tx.

So now that ive had an abnormal pap... means i wont be on the list? or can one be on the list as inactive while working on whatever needs to be done?
I tried calling a tx coord. but nobody answered i think its too late in the day or something and now im freaking out :(

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 04:48:07 PM »

Have you followed up with your obgyn?  Can you get the test redone?  The transplant center will want you to follow up to see why the test came back negative.  They will work with you to follow up and make sure that you're healthy enough for a transplant. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 04:51:06 PM »

i went today and had a biopsy *OUCH* and ultrasound
i go back again the 11th of august to find out the results of that...

HemoDialysis since 2007
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »

Are you already listed?

Ive had an abnormal one and it didnt affect me any. THen again, I have the feeling that my transplant center does not want me to get a kidney for some reason.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Brightsky69

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »

While I was listed in addition to a regular PAP I had to start getting mammograms each year.  Talk about OUCH!

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:10:43 PM »

oy i have no boobs, i cant imagine how they will mammogram the boobless ladies like myself...
i hope it doesnt efffect my listing... i dont think im listed YET but they seemed like they were going to list me, we were just waiting for this pap... ya.. so idk? im calling them tomorrow but i just wondered if anyone had been through this.

i cant imagine being this close and have this change it all...

HemoDialysis since 2007
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »

I have a very tiny, 7mm lump in my left breast that needed to be biopsied before I could be put on the list.  They take pre-cancer screenings *very* seriously.  Any slight thing that might be *some*thing, they're gonna want it checked out.  I have to go in for a follow up mammogram in August - and this is for a 7mm lump!

And I can tell you, as someone who has dainty little A cups - it isn't fun doing the mammogram.  However, it is absolutely lovely when the machine lets you go and you get instant relief!

I get yearly paps by default, all because I'd rather be on top of things then be surprised and be at stage 3 cervical cancer and have to deal with that.  I guess I will now be getting yearly mammos, since breast cancer is on both sides of the family, and I am listed for transplant.  I will be 38 in September.

My dad is going thru cancer treatment for Stage 3 esophageal cancer.  Cancer sucks!!!  Best bet is to catch it before it catches you! (and hopefully, there is nothing to catch!)
KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
Brightsky69

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »

;D I hear ya...I am a B cup...not alot to work with.  ;D

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:37 PM »

At C cup, they don't hurt at all.... :shy;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 04:22:23 PM »

I've got to disagree.  I am bigger than a c cup and I think they still hurt like heck. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

I managed to weezle out of a mammogram for my pre-transplant testing. Thank God because I have a main central line and there was absolutely no way in heck anyone was gonna squish my boobies and risk injury to my access line and cause me worse pain than the test already causes. I told them no. They were pretty good about it. If I have to go through an exam with a manual exam with only the hands maually palpating, fine so be it, but not the other. Nope. No way. Not gonna do it.     ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 05:21:15 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »

How old are you women here? Because at 24-48 I just dont think Im old enough to get a mamogram. My transplant doctor had asked me if that ran in my family,a nd luckily it does not! No way do I want my tiny b cups in that. Make me feel worse then I already do.

Oh by the way, does anyone know if a breast implant causes antibodies?
Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

I got my first one a year early because of the transplant, at 39.  I've had 2 so far.  Maybe they only hurt if yours are really perky.....

I don't know about implants causing antibodies - It wouldn't seem logical, though.  I thought the antibodies were a result of a reaction with other people's tissue, like blood or organs?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:25:56 PM »

Well, I'm not even 40. I'm 39. From my understanding having a mammogram is not necessary if you're under 50 UNLESS there is a history of the cancer. Breast cancer doesn't even run in my family so I was like, WTF?, I don't think so!!!! My central line was a definite "Ain't gonna do it" that firmed up my decision!

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Once you get the transplant, my center wants you to start ASAP, regardless of age.  I didn't have to do one pre-transplant.

Annig83

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »

Just remember that an abnormal pap doesn't immediately mean cancer.  Sometimes just a simple infection, or recent sexual activity can cause abnormal results.  I read somewhere (probably in my OB/GYN's office, since there is nothing else to read lol), that 1 in 10 women get a positive result for abnormal cells, and it turns out to be nothing. :clap;

I've never had a mammogram, but I have rather large breasts and I've always heard that it can be painful.

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:17:30 PM »

Center wouldn't do the transplant until I was cleared by an OB/GYN doc. If you do get an abnormal reading there is no reason why they couldn't list you as inactive so you could still rack up your wait time, as you get the abnormal reading worked out. GOOD LUCK!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 11:10:24 PM »

im not toooo worried about the results, because he said i was on a low end to a spectrum whatever that means lol and i figure that if it is something, maybe they will take my parts out.. i dont want them anyway lol - i always like to find an upside to bad news :P
It is most likely due to my IUD... he said its tilted and needs taken out but said it can wait until we get the results in case we need to do something else.
i was worried it would mean i wouldnt be on the list gaining time, so thank u for clearing that up for me!
apparently my tx coordinator is out of town this week..
I havent had to do a mamagram yet but im 27... do men have to do stuff like this? lol
On the plus side, its good to know i dont have any icky stds! thats always a plus lol
Anyone who has had the biopsy on the cervix? how long is it going to hurt??

HemoDialysis since 2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 01:47:06 AM »

Please ladies, all this talk about your boob size is totally distracting me - and I want to post a serious response here!!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D :rofl;

I hope as a male I can make a generic comment without offending anyone (unless my comment above already did?!! oops!  :rofl;). Obviously I can't comment from any kind of personal experience regaring paps or mamogams, but I wanted to say something about the why's and wherefores transplant related.

Getting the pap is part of the tx workup to ensure you're as healthy as possible going in and IF anything is identified, it doesn't have to mean it's a show stopper - it could just require to get sorted out before you can be active for transplant - and frankly if it was me, I'd rather KNOW, and deal with(if possible) whatever is going on than not know.

Yep, I imagine paps are painful and gross for you gals - I can empathise there (when you have had big needles in your eyes while it's not the same, it's pretty darn personal!) - but I see it as a nessescary 'evil' - but also a good one if you will - in terms of finding out where you're at.

I had heart and lung tests and stuff over the years, and I actually found it reassuring to get the results of how good or bad I was doing general health wise. Obviously having regular paps/mamograms etc is essential for women (and no doubt as I get further into my 40's I'll be entering the time of PSA's and prostate exams, which surely ranks up there with a pap!) - and even though I so won't want to deal with that stuff, it's going to be vital, and could totally impact on my transplant life.

GLM - I'm glad the doc doesn't thnk it's too serious. That sounds positive. Sometimes "abnormal" isn't anywhere near as serious as it sounds, or is something that can be managed. For example, with my last tx biopsy they wrote about cyclosporin toxicity. I had a bit of a freakout, but I was reassured that it was a tiny concern and just something that's flagged to keep a note of for the docs, so they take an extra close look at my cyclosporin levels.

Lisa - I don't know about implants, but I would say that no matter the age if the experts think it's a good idea to get a mamogram, or pap, or whatever then I'd say do it - I definitely err on the side of preferring to be safe rather than sorry.

Just my 2 cents. You may now go back to discussing your breast size.....  >:D >:D >:D >:D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 09:27:34 AM »

RM! lol bet u wish ur were a gyno!
yes i figure it isnt a big deal just something to look out for kind of thing id guess... i just dont want it to mess up my chances when im this close to getting on the list! Its literally the only thing stopping me from it Illinois list... And the indiana list this and weight loss..
that would really suck!!!
ive worked way way too hard losing weight and stopping smoking.
and now they want me to see a psychiatrist ROFL idk why... i already see one, why cant they just talk to her? hmm....

HemoDialysis since 2007
Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:15 AM »

Well, I'm not even 40. I'm 39. From my understanding having a mammogram is not necessary if you're under 50 UNLESS there is a history of the cancer. Breast cancer doesn't even run in my family so I was like, WTF?, I don't think so!!!! My central line was a definite "Ain't gonna do it" that firmed up my decision!
hmmmmmm......... Mammograms  are  recommended  as  soon  as  you  hit  the  big  4-o     earlier if it  runs  in  the  family.

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »

They started my mammograms at 35...transplanted at 31...no history of breast cancer but my Mum died at 46 of melanoma and my gynecologist is super cautious.  I also have pap smears every year and have since I was 18 and go to the dentist twice a year.  I guess I'm also strong believer in precautionary measures and if anything is amiss anywhere I want to know sooner rather than later.  I also don't worry about anything going wrong until and unless it does.  Prepare for the worst but expect the best outcome.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »