I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:51:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 2552 times)
tradingspaces365

« on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:33 AM »

Hi My name is Michelle, I am 42 yrs old and have been doing dialysis for the last 3 years.  I have two children, one of each LOL.. and a beautiful granddaughter.  My husband and I have been married for 3 years. Yes he married me and my kidneys decided it was time to quit working, so goes our happily everafter.  Tom (my husband) and I are both firefighters, he is professional and I am a volunteer.  We both are active with the county membership of firefighters and go do what we call our dog and pony show.  We found out thru our process that Not a single one of the units were even trying to get the information out to the first responders, we realized by being so involved that the first responders had not a clue that there was so many dialysis patients in their coverage area, hence we developed a program to teach them some basic knowledge.  This program has been so well received that we are now going into nursing schools to teach them also. 
I work full time still and still am active within the fire service community.  I really hate the whole dialysis thing but when asked if I want to be put on the transplant list I refuse, because I don't want to do any more surgeries at this point.  Over the course of the last two years, I have pushed to get my unit to treat me as part of the team not just the subject of their discussion.  This seems to be well met by some and not by others.  I canulate my own access, this is a major step for me since the first time I had any surgery I passed out when the dr looked to see how it was doing.  I have been asked my unit to speak with other patients about getting buttonholes and canulating themselves.  I just tell them that I like the control of doing it myself over having someone different everytime stick my precious arm. 
Well I don't know what else to tell you at this point but I am glad to have found other who I can vent and that they understand where I am at. 

Michelle
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:29 AM »

Talk about turning lemons into lemonade!!!

Good for you for helping to educate the first responders in your area.  They can't possibly know anything about the needs of dialysis patients unless they are told, so you are helping a great many people. 

As for the transplant list, well, I'm sure you know that there is a pretty long wait for a cadaveric kidney, so chances are, if you went on the list tomorrow, you'd have a good while to wait before surgery.  Have you considered going ahead and getting on the list; if a kidney comes available and you don't want to go through the surgery, you can say "no."  Of course, getting on the list in the first place is a bit of a palaver, so I can understand if you are hesitant to get into all that.

Anyway, welcome to IHD!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

:welcomesign;  Michelle.  You have a great approach to your treatment and I'm so glad that you're doing your own needles. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

What an introduction! Michelle, you rock!  :2thumbsup;

:welcomesign;

I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »

Welcome to IHD.  You are in the right place!

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 07:05:57 PM »

Welcome!  Love you positive attitude.  You will be a great help to others. I look forward to more of your posts.   Welcome to IHD -- it is a great place to be. 

paris,Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 08:22:30 PM »

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »

Michelle, that sounds great!  I'm glad you are out there helping so that first responders don't blow patients off when they say "no blood pressure on the fistula arm". 

If you like this site pass it on to others. 

Rerun, Moderator          :welcomesign;

renalwife

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:32:22 PM »

Welcome, Michelle.  I am sure the shared information will be a mutual benefit.  And yes, this is a very good place to vent.

EDITED - Icon error fixed - Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:21:52 AM by Bajanne » Logged
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »

Welcome to our community, Michelle!  What a lovely intro!  I am very impressed with anyone who would cannulate themselves!  Don't think I could do it.  But I am glad that you found our group and decided to join us.  Just the place for information, support and encouragement.  You are now part of the IHD family  :grouphug;  -  a wonderful group of caring and sharing people.  Just keep reading and keep posting.

Bajanne, Moderator

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »

Hi Michele and  :welcomesign;   Your attitude is an inspiration! 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »