I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:41:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  What type of needle for AV Graft in forarm?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What type of needle for AV Graft in forarm?  (Read 3289 times)
komomai

« on: October 29, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »

Will be starting training on my new AV Graft in center, to do self cannulation at home. I've been asked by my dialysis nurse what kind of needles would I want to use. As I'm doing this in a Japanese hospital in Okinawa, there is sometimes communications problems or something gets lost in translation. I would like to use the buttonhole method, but will this work with a graft? I've tried to stay away from the needles, but after over 2 years my tunnel catheter has begun to fail, so I had to go into the hospital, and they ran one needle from the AV graft arterial and the other one to venous tunnel catheter. As I just had the AV graft worked on a few days ago, my surgeon didn't want me to start using it yet. Fortunately it worked. Any help with types of needles would really be a big help.  :thx;
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

I don't think you can use buttoholes with a graft - it will probably be conventional sharps.

I do know that the needle angle is 45%, as I remember that as the one question I guessed on in my home hemo final written exam (it was not covered, since I use a conventional fistula).   Grafts are a fixed diameter, so I don't think you will use a tourniquet.
cbatsea

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 06:08:31 PM »

No, you can't buttonhole a graft....only a fistula.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »