I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 07:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  **=== RSNHOPE.ORG Presents: The 2007 8th Annual Renal Teen Prom.===** PICS!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: **=== RSNHOPE.ORG Presents: The 2007 8th Annual Renal Teen Prom.===** PICS!  (Read 16432 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 08:26:23 PM »

There is never a poor me spin to a Lori Hartwell event. I’m in favor of events that bring people on dialysis together. It’s just one night and it’s not like you have to have missed your prom.
It is true that ANY Lori Hartwell event is NOT a poor me event! She is not that type of person! Infact because she is the opposite of that she is an inspiration to me.

As far as the Power Rangers...... Those are heroes who come running in blindly to save the day. You said you received "a hateful email". Now maybe if you had posted the "hateful" email I could have made a judgment. But you didn't, and people were still all over it. I'm not asking for evidence. It just hit me that people were on your side without it.

I'm happy I have this website to learn and laugh. I would have never known there was such a thing as a Renal Prom without this website. I'm also glad I can question the Admin/Owner without being censored or banned. Even though I'm a Moderator I don't have to agree with everything you do or say. That is what FOX News calls "Fair and Balanced".
I can also understand where Rerun is coming from. She doesn't want people to just be a follower! Too many people are against whoever emailed Epoman when there have been many times it is discussed in private and realized that both sides have a valid point. We come here to learn and be heard and feel free to speak up and help spread awareness! I am proud of Rerun as she is only speaking her mind!

Still I wish I could go to it but it is so far away. I never went to my prom. I had just had my transplant but that wasn't the reason I didn't go to mine. I think this prom is a chance for any "Kidney Kid" to forget about thier health for once (parents tend to make it very hard for any kidney kid to forget .. trust me!) and to just feel like every other kid! I do think that it was okay that Epokid got to go as it was Lori Hartwell's invite to them. So it only matters what she said. Not anyone else. As it is, Epokid is affected by KD through his dad directly and so he understands!  :thumbup; And ya newspapers always seem to want the "feel sorry for them" aspect of their article so that it catches people's attention. Instead it should be about how this night was a night to live outside of this KD!

It is really something special and I do wish that it wasn't just in California.

P.S. BillP you did a good job on that banner  :thumbup;
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:26:25 AM by angieskidney » Logged

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 08:32:09 PM »

Hey, I'm all for a party.  I'm sure it was a wonderful event.  All I am saying is that dialysis does NOT prevent people from going to the prom.  L A Times title "Youths who missed their senior prom get a night to remember." 

They are masking a "party or event" with a sad oh poor me up shot.   

If nothing else it is a place teens can get together who all have something in common.  Kidney Disease.  It is not because they missed their prom because they were on dialysis. 

I see where they did hold it on a three day weekend and on a Sunday.  That is great.  No dialysis and no school the next day.  Now THAT is different than another prom. 

As far as the Power Rangers...... Those are heroes who come running in blindly to save the day.  You said you received "a hateful email".  Now maybe if you had posted the "hateful" email I could have made a judgment.  But you didn't, and people were still all over it.  I'm not asking for evidence.  It just hit me that people were on your side without it.

I'm happy I have this website to learn and laugh.  I would have never known there was such a thing as a Renal Prom without this website.  I'm also glad I can question the Admin/Owner without being censored or banned.  Even though I'm a Moderator I don't have to agree with everything you do or say.  That is what FOX News calls "Fair and Balanced".

As for the email, well I mentioned it a few days ago to sluff, and I wasn't going to post about it, but since this thread had not received many replies I was wondering if others felt that way about me bringing Epokid as well and that was the reason it didn't get many replies. So I wanted to set the record straight on why he was there.

That is correct you do not have to agree with me, in anything I do or say. All you HAVE to do is follow the site rules AND follow the rules that I create and that are required in you being a moderator on IHD.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

Geez, epo, you bringing along epokid didn't even register with me.  You were invited; you got to bring a guest, and you picked one of your two favorite people.  That seemed so perfectly normal and expected, I wouldn't have even thought to question it.

I think part of the problem is the usual off-center spin that the newspaper put on the story.  They wrote it as if everyone there had missed their prom because of their illness.  What I got - for facts, which you get to read between the lines for - is that Lori started the prom because she missed her own, and that the girl they interviewed had also missed her prom because of her illness, but the only requirement to be invited to the prom was to be a teen with kidney disease, not one who had actually missed their own prom.  Since when have the newspapers every reported anything about kidney disease accurately, though? 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »

Jenna missed so much her senior year as her health got worse. She started dialysis in Dec. and nearly didn't make it to graduation in June (had to make up a lot of classes.) She did attend her prom with a couple of girlfriends who insisted she go.
I don't understand why someone would object to giving some kidney patients a fun evening.
Lori Hartwell does a great job bringing people together. On her website:
"An illness is too demanding when you don't have hope," continues Hartwell. "My goal at the prom is to let other teenagers, young adults, anybody who lives with a chronic illness know that they can live a joyful life in spite of chronic illness. And one of the most important things that allows you to do so is being able to connect with others who understand your particular brand of experience."
I have volunteered and helped plan the Renal Prom in the past. Some of these kids have no means to get formal clothes or transportation. It's provided for them. It's a great event, I would recommend anyone who doubts it to volunteer next year (it's always held Martin Luther King Day weekend.)
Epo, I'd much rather see you take Nick than get a date (the missus would undoubtedly object!)

As far as the Transplant Games - I have never been - but the people I know that participated were glad they did.
More info:
The U.S. Transplant Games is a four-day athletic competition among recipients of organ transplants. Competition in the U.S. Transplant Games is open to anyone who has received a lifesaving solid organ transplant--heart, liver, kidney, lung, and pancreas. Bone marrow recipients are also eligible to participate. As much as the Games is an athletic event that calls attention to the success of organ and tissue transplantation, it is also a celebration of life among recipients, their families and friends.
Goals:
-To demonstrate to the public the collective and individual successes of the life-restoring therapy of organ transplantation
-To use the mass media to promote the success of organ donation and transplantation and to call attention to the need for organ donation through events and support activity before, during, and after the event
-To contribute to the successful rehabilitation of the nation's transplant patient community

Save the Date: 2008 U.S. Transplant Games: July 11- 16 Pittsburgh, PA

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2007, 03:24:40 AM »

Save the Date: 2008 U.S. Transplant Games: July 11- 16 Pittsburgh, PA

Oh wow! That would be great if I got to go to one and that State is the one my fiance lives in!

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 04:45:11 PM »

:bump;
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »

Wonderful thread
Still missin Epo (and never met or spoke to him  :urcrazy; )
Lori is really putting in work! She is great.

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »