I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 07:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Woman fights for rights of families of organ donors
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woman fights for rights of families of organ donors  (Read 3024 times)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« on: July 06, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

Woman fights for rights of families of organ donors
By Alisha George

When Toni Sochrin's son was killed, four of his organs were harvested and given to those in need in locations across the U.S. Now she's fighting to extend the rights of donor families such as hers.
Her son, Ben Sochrin, was 20 years old when a car struck his motorcycle in July 2008.
"My goal was for the donor families to have rights. [We're] asking that whoever receives [the organs] would give us the right to know who they are," said Sochrin, of Westminster.
Rather than have a liaison contacting donor families for recipients, she would like to get a personal message from the recipient, to know they are healthy, she said.
"Right now, everything is up to them," Sochrin said.
Her family can pass along information through the Living Legacy Foundation of Maryland, but it's up to the recipient if they want to then contact the donor family. The recipient can even refuse to see any letter that is sent from the donor family, if they so choose, she said.
Representatives from the office of U.S. Rep. Roscoe Bartlett, R-District 6, have agreed to meet with Sochrin to discuss introducing legislation that would give more contact rights to organ donor families.
Sochrin said she has met with two recipients of her son's organs, but the other two recipients have not gotten in touch with her, despite her efforts.
"That's taking part of my child," she said. "This is life we've given to them."
Not having contact with the recipients is preventing closure, Sochrin said. Though she knows they may be feeling recipient guilt, she doesn't think the recipients are the only ones who should have the right to decide whether to contact the donor family.
Sochrin felt this was an important cause to pursue, not just for her family but for all organ donor families.
Faye Powers, legislative assistant at Rep. Barlett's Washington, D.C., office, said the meeting to discuss Sochrin's viewpoints will determine if the office wants to research the issue further.
"We haven't committed to anything yet," she said.
There are a lot of privacy issues at stake that may prevent other members of Congress from getting involved, Powers said.
"We understand what she's looking for, but we don't know if it's possible," she said.
Sochrin remains hopeful that the other two organ recipients will still get in touch with her family.
"Hopefully, one day, they will pass a law, so we have rights in this, too," she said.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/local/woman-fights-for-rights-of-families-of-organ-donors/article_4a93b5f6-a5ed-11e0-aad1-001cc4c03286.html

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:02 PM »

Uhh, just my opinion, but - HELL, NO.  You want a right to order me to give you a personal update on my health?  You want the right to know who I am?  Whether I want you to know or not?  What if going public about my illness makes me lose my job?  What if coping with survivors guilt is too much for me to deal with even before I meet the donor family? 

And no, it isn't all up to the recipient, either - it works both ways.  Those who have given a relative's organs do not have to contact the recipient if they don't want to either.  It's not like the recipient is given an option of doing their own background check before receiving the organ.  Is she prepared to make her family records part of the package, too?

How did we get from her "giving life" with the donation to the recipient "taking her child?"  The current system is in place to protect the recipients from exactly the kind of donor family's that she seems to be - ones who are giving a gift with some serious emotional strings attached.  Short jump to emotional blackmail from there, and financial blackmail is just a hop, skip and a jump past that. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:07:34 PM »

it goes both ways as JB said, sometimes you get responses, sometimes you don't.

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:29:56 PM »

I cringe at the thought of mixing "altruism" with "rights".

This lady says that she just wants a personal message from the recipients "to know they are healthy."  Well, what if they aren't?  What if the recipient dies on the table during surgery?  What if the organ is rejected?  What if the recipient is healthy in one month but not in six?  Does she want the donor families to know all of that?  Does she really want donor families to bear an additional burden? 

Anyone with a transplant knows that this procedure NEVER ends in "closure".  We all know that transplantation is a treatment, not a cure.  That message is drummed into us day after damn day.  But this lady doesn't understand that.  So, what would happen if, say, after 5 years, the recipient of one of her son's kidneys lost the allograft?  Would she want an update about THAT?

This is a terrible, terrible idea.  To mandate this would be an enormous mistake with unintended consequences.  Keep the system as it is.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:31:03 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »

:bump;

I want to bump up this topic because I am really interested in what others have to say.  If you are/have been a transplant recipient of a cadaveric kidney and your transplant has failed, would you tell the donor's family?  Do you think any donor's family would want to know this sort of thing?  Or do they just want to hear the "good news' that the recipient is healthy and beside themselves with gratitude?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
kporter85db

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 02:54:08 AM »

This is outrageous!

There is no way that in America will someone (an individual) compel me to report to them my MEDICAL condition. What about HIPPA laws.

And if we refuse to comply what then, they jail us, or take back the organ.

By the way, She has no rights to those organs or her ADULT son.

May/2010 Sulfa based antibiotics killed my already weakened kidneys, almost
Feb/2011 PD catheter placed
July/2011 Started Peritoneal Dialysis
Nov/2013 Started NxStage 5 days/week

Ken
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 05:46:32 PM »

There is no way that in America will someone (an individual) compel me to report to them my MEDICAL condition. What about HIPPA laws.

I know.  It's a bit creepy.  But to be fair, I suspect that this woman wants some sort of tangible recognition of her bereavement. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »