I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:21:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1732 times)
stschirhart

« on: June 27, 2011, 04:49:45 PM »

I feel so alone being only 25 and on dialysis for the second time.  I am the youngest at my entire clinic and everyone stares at me, like why are you here?  I am only thinking the same thing.  I am so angry all the time.  Why do bad things happen good people.  What did I do to deserve this?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:02:48 PM »

I don't know the answers to your questions, but if you ever find them, let me know because I wonder the same things myself.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »

:welcomesign;

The truth is that nobody deserves having to go through dialysis.  :cuddle;

And I wish you didn't either.

Stick around for support, though. There are lots of kind folks willing to figuratively hold you hand.

:flower;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:15:13 PM »

I was very angry on dialysis as well. you found a great place to come for support and comfort! Hang tough!

:welcomesign;

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:19:21 PM »

Clearly they're staring at you because you're the most attractive young lady to show up and their BP is going up with you in the room!!  >:D

OK I'm a bit older than you, but I can assure you I'd have loved it if you'd been in my unit, because I was very much the youngest for a good deal of the time in my unit (every so often we would get a "newbie" pass through that might be in their 20's or 30's which was both sad-for them- and fleeting). I can understand thus some of what you feel because I found it difficult to relate to many of the older patients, and actually spent more time hanging out with the nurses and staff. I think they liked me too because I had more of a spark than chatted with them etc whereas many of the other patients wouldn't.  I actually valued that social interaction.

Nobody can answer those "why me?" questions? I wonder myself. Much like "why do nice guys come last?" I suppose it is our lot in life. For whatever reasns it is our challenge. I absolutely feel for you. Nobody should have to deal with this disease, but at 25, and for the second time... this is definitely not fair. My heart would break when we would see a 20 year old come in having to do dialysis. Me, I'm almost middle aged (shudder!) but I feel I've done OK for myself, but barely out of school and having to deal with that? That's cruel.

I will say one thing, which probably won't help the way you feel, but in a way when I look at my own experiences with kidney failure, dialysis etc that I can honestly say that in some ways coming through this has changed me as a person - and for the better I mean. For example 10-15 years ago I was way more selfish, perhaps arrogant, not that interested in helping others and wrapped up in my own world. Now I feel I am more generous, considerate of others, try to not sweat the small things in life, live more for the moment and take opportunities when they arise, and so on. Believe it or not I've even become more social and less worried about what others think of me and stuff. I'm not trying to say I've become a Saint or anything - hell anyone here would tell you that's not true!  >:D :rofl; but I think had I not had these experiences and seem some of the stuff I've seen on my journey, that I would not have grown into the sort of person I am today.

I try to not get angry at stuff I can't change. i was born with poor eyesight and that has always limited me with stuff I wanted to do like play sport, drive, etc not to mention getting a date (ha!) but like the kidney thing I just can't do anything about that. That's life. I try, instead, to focus on the positives I have and making the most of them. When I was on dialysis I saw it as keeping me going so i could live my life and do the things I wanted as much as I could while waiting for transplant. Even when I was stable on dialysis, yeah it had it's restrictions and so on, but I still worked, and could be social with people etc (still couldn't get a date though !!). The point is I tried to not focus on how dialysis and kidney failure was screwing up my life, but how the best to make the most of it.

Don't for a minute think that I'm saying it's not right to be angry or anything like that. Trust me, there have been times where I've been totally singing that tune, but I do try to not dwell on the stuff I have no control over, and instead work on what I do.

Hang in there, and welcome to IHD!  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:39:43 PM »

I'm so sorry you have to go through this.  I say forget water boarding terrorists..... put them on dialysis!   :stressed;

It is nice to have a place to come where we can vent and understand.  Our families just don't "really" get it. 

Rerun, Moderator           :welcomesign;

Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:38:08 AM »

Hey Mate, they are looking at you because they want to help. Whenever I see a youngster in my clinic I wonder what I might say to cheer them up because I know they are the one who has got the rough end of the pineapple, not me. You are quite right to feel the way you do, you've got a bad deal, so my advice is to hang around here because we know how you are.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »