I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:10:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Flying with hemo cath?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying with hemo cath?  (Read 4090 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:45 AM »

So after reading about the 95 year old woman who had to remove her Depends to get through security, I'm now freaked out about flying later this month with my hemo catheter.  Anyone had any issues getting through security with a hemo cath?  Will I need a note from my doctor?  It seems like it should be okay because it's plastic, not metal.   :pray;

Thanks!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »

Huh - don't know.  But I'd have some documentation, that's for sure.  I remember reading about how they burst some poor old guy's colostomy bag so it leaked all down his pants.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Desert Dancer

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 09:58:43 AM »

So after reading about the 95 year old woman who had to remove her Depends to get through security, I'm now freaked out about flying later this month with my hemo catheter.  Anyone had any issues getting through security with a hemo cath?  Will I need a note from my doctor?  It seems like it should be okay because it's plastic, not metal.   :pray;

Thanks!

I think no matter what, you should make sure you demand they change their gloves before touching you. From what I've heard they don't generally change their gloves between passengers - though they're supposed to - and you don't want someone else's creepy crawlies near your cath.

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »

I flew with a hemo cath, no problems, but then it was before the xray things, last May.  Get a note from your doc explaining the need for sterile conditions if they investigate it.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »