I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 14, 2024, 09:31:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Seattle Meetup
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seattle Meetup  (Read 9374 times)
rfranzi

« on: June 25, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »

I would like to take the reigns and see if we can arrange a meet-up for folks around Seattle. Please let me know if you would be interested and if you have any suggestions for best times/places to meet. I have been doing some writing lately about support systems/groups and a lack thereof. The people here are fantastic, I think it would be great to meet some of you in person. Thank you.

Best,
Robin

EDITED, MOVED TOPIC - Rerun, Moderator
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 11:09:18 AM by Rerun » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:10:04 AM »

That would be great.  I bet some people from Portland would attend too.

:waving;

rfranzi

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »

Thanks, yes! Maybe a monthly Sunday brunch or something, I don't know, whatever people want. It would be especially nice to meet people who might even be going to Vegas beforehand, but most of all, I find it lacking in the medical community that there are no formal support groups through hospitals, etc. I think there are enough of us in the area to meet and I am sure we can be of great benefit to one another. The people I've met online have been a lifeline, but there is no substitute for a real hug. I would be willing to go to Portland as well (with some advance planning of course), so the world is our oyster!

That would be great.  I bet some people from Portland would attend too.

:waving;
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »

There was some talk of meeting at the Garage (a pool/bowling place on Broadway about three blocks north of Swedish) but no one pulled the trigger. These days, for me the main issue is the work/energy balance, but I would want to attend.

I think the key is picking a date/time.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
rfranzi

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »

Hi and thanks!  I am pretty open as long as it is not god awful early in the morning. Also, I'm coming from the Eastside so I'd like to avoid the bridges between 5-7 M-F if possible. The garage sounds fine to me....What would be the best day(s) time(s) for you? Maybe we can get a few folks together intially at least....

There was some talk of meeting at the Garage (a pool/bowling place on Broadway about three blocks north of Swedish) but no one pulled the trigger. These days, for me the main issue is the work/energy balance, but I would want to attend.

I think the key is picking a date/time.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:22:05 PM »

I may well be in the Seattle area around the first/second week of September, so if anyone plans something around then perhaps you could have an out of town visitor :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

I may well be in the Seattle area around the first/second week of September, so if anyone plans something around then perhaps you could have an out of town visitor :)

Wow a celebrity guest!  That would get a good turn out - what day is good for you RM?

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:19 PM »

Wow a celebrity guest!  That would get a good turn out - what day is good for you RM?

I'd like to put my vote in for a Sunday - that way there is no dialysis-schedule conflicts.  Also, if we do the Garage, street parking is still free on Sundays!

And, if we're going to have our out-of-town celebrity as a guest, might I suggest Sunday, Sept 11? :)

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »

Good grief I am no celebrity!!!

:shy; :shy; :shy;

but yes Sep 11 could well work :)

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Jie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 09:19:31 PM »

I travel to Seattle several times a year and if date is fitting into my schedule, I will attend too.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:40 PM »

It is a 4 hour drive and I have no idea where the Garage is but I could try..... or did you say the Gorage at George?  I know where that is.

:flower;

jazzin11

Keep on going...It can't get any worse, can it?

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »

:waving; I would love a Seattle meet n greet! I'm in Bellingham, 2 hrs north, so not a huge drive.  I am, however getting a transplant tomorrow morning at the UW, so I'll be out of circulation for a month or so.  Keep us posted!

Lost the left kidney to a large kidney stone 1995
Cardiac Catheterization 12/11/2007 The contrast dye took out the right kidney!
Cardiac Quadruple Bypass 12/14/2007
AV Fistula done 4/2008
Diagnosed ESRD 9/11/2008 Started in center Hemo the same day.
Buttonhole access not without problems!
Living Donor transplant at UWMC Seattle June 29, 2011
Jie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:30:32 PM »

:waving; I would love a Seattle meet n greet! I'm in Bellingham, 2 hrs north, so not a huge drive.  I am, however getting a transplant tomorrow morning at the UW, so I'll be out of circulation for a month or so.  Keep us posted!

Best wishes for your pending transplant. How long do you need to stay close to UW after transplant? 
rfranzi

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 10:50:45 PM »

Wow, that is great news! I'll be keeping you in my prayers...

jazzin11

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 01:35:12 AM »

I am home now, actually went home on Sunday the 3rd. But was readmitted Tuesday for dehydration...discharged today. Hard to get used to drinking 2-3 liters a day after the limits of dialysis! Kidney is working fine, however! :2thumbsup;

AV Fistula done 4/2008
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 02:00:34 AM »

I am home now, actually went home on Sunday the 3rd. But was readmitted Tuesday for dehydration...discharged today. Hard to get used to drinking 2-3 liters a day after the limits of dialysis! Kidney is working fine, however! :2thumbsup;

I think all of us lucky enough to have such a wonderful gift understand this. Somedays now I find myself forgetting to drink, then feel guilty, so grab a 500ml bottle of water and chug it down, and then some just to keep myself hydrated. Those hold habits are VERY hard to break, specially when you've worked so hard to be so good with the restrictions!!! It just had become second nature to me to not drink - I'd pretty much retrained my mind... so retraining again takes time.

Hang in there and try to not get dehydrated again!!!

remember.. you CAN have that drink now.. and them some!!!

:bow; :beer1; :2thumbsup; :beer1; :grouphug;

Jie

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 08:41:53 PM »

For some patients, it is not easy for not getting dehydration: more water and more urine. Hope that it has settled down and the body can retain some water. I am surprised that UW allows patients to go home with 2-hr distance. 
rfranzi

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 01:51:30 PM »

Congratulations on a successful transplant! I get so much hope for the future knowing you have gone before me. Stay hydrated, and be well! Really glad to hear that you are home!
jazzin11

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2011, 12:59:06 AM »

:grouphug; HI!!  Just bringing this to the top again.  Have we made any progress toward a date?  I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

John :waving;

AV Fistula done 4/2008
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:11 PM »

I'm bringing this topic up again to see if we can drum up interest!  RichardMEL will be in Seattle on Sunday, September 11th.  Do we want to do this meetup then?  At The Garage on Broadway?  Can I see a show of hands?

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
silverhead

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »

Count me in, some health issues might prevent it, but I intend to be there......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »

I'm going to Seattle at the end of August so probably won't turn around and go again.  Sorry.  Do Have Fun!  And Take Pictures.

:pics;

Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 04:15:31 PM »

I'll plan to attend. Sundays are the safest day to plan things, it's the least likely day I'd have to work.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 09:36:27 PM »

Just confirming that yes, I will be there one way or another. my ticket is booked, my seats selected and i'm ready to rock and roll - would be great to see anyone who can show up for a catch up!!!  :)

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »

Just confirming that yes, I will be there one way or another. my ticket is booked, my seats selected and i'm ready to rock and roll - would be great to see anyone who can show up for a catch up!!!  :)

when you travel to foreign lands richy, remember the VEGEMITE

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »