I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:56:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  working and dissability - Can it be done
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: working and dissability - Can it be done  (Read 4850 times)
chattytam

« on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:08 PM »

I have been on Pd for 15 months, for the last 10 months I have been working 2 days a week.
Disability declined me because I work.   They told me if I were to quit I would be eligible.
This is so frustrating cause I Love my job and they will need to replace me if I leave, Not to mention I am required by law to work a minimum 600 hours per year to maintain my certification.
I cant afford to live on 2 days a week of pay alone.
The thought of having to go back to school and retrain after my transplant stresses me out.
I am appealing there decision.
I guess I'm just wondering if any of you were working and got accepted for disability.
please reply
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 09:31:32 PM »

I wasn't capable of standing upright long enough to shower most days when I applied, so I wasn't working.  But I have to say the logic that you have to quit work in order to get disability is totally crazy.  Once you get on disability, they start sending you Ticket to Work information - that says you can make up to $700 or so a month without losing your full disability check.

Maybe it was because of your salary?  If you make more than $1000 a month with the Ticket to Work program, then they start taking cash out of your check.  Perhaps they use the same kind of cash formula to decide if you qualify?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »

Yes there's ticket to work. I work part time and on disability, but I'm also blind and there's different requirements for that. If you feel you deserve it, then I'd try to fight it.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 10:55:32 PM »

When I was still teaching I was denied disability b/c I was earning way to much money. When I quit my job and reapplied I was approved right away. I couldn't get Supplemental Income b/c I had to much money in my retirement, and since I am young and will eventually go back to work full time I didn't want to pull out my retirement.

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Willis

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:38:05 AM »

I wish I could quit working and go on permanent disability. How could I possibly afford to keep my house and still eat and pay my Medicare payments?  :(

Annig83

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

I have a job int. on Thurs. which starts at part-time.  My social worker thru SSI told me that I would NOT necessarily lose my SSI benefits if I work depending upon how many hours I work.  (And if I even get this position).  I am currently on unemployment, and the SSI, my unemployment runs out in about a month, so having a pt job would be helpful for me in paying my bills...my boyfriends' father was on disability and got paid cash so it didn't count against him... until he hadn't reported it to SSI... :oops;

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:41:47 PM »

there is ticket to work or work incentitives and its $700 a month you can earn, however if you make over $1000 a month its starts the 10 month clock.......
just go to the SS page it describes it in detail

ESRD is automatic SSI/SSD however you have to wait the 5 months  >:(
I am in my 2nd month right now.....
I say go out, collect your SSI/SSD then head to work PT earning less than but up to $700 a month (just like I am planning on doing)

Good luck
 :flower;

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »