I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 10:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Quality of Post-Transplant Care
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quality of Post-Transplant Care  (Read 2823 times)
renal30yrs

« on: January 14, 2007, 07:43:40 AM »

I've gone through a transplant experience for almost a quarter a century.  I'm certainly grateful for the vastly improved quality of life while I was given this time off" from dialysis.  What deeply concerns and bothred me the most is the puzzling lack of care, inexplicable indifference, demonstrated by many transplant professionals.  Somehow the whole science of organ transplantation became a routine procedure for them.  You are more often than not treated as no more than a number.  Given the uphill battle to find suitable organs for so many suffering patients can't they be little more mindful about the wellbeing of the patients AFTER they received their gift?  Too many institutions are too ready to dump the patients "on your own" as soon as the first 2 crucial weeks.
coravh

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 10:32:38 AM »

I had my transplant at Fairview Univ. Med. Ctr in Minneapolis and I can't say enough about the post transplant care. I can have as much contact as I like and they are great. I live in a different time zone and most of my contact is by phone or email and yet I still feel well taken care of.

Last year my post-txn coordinator became ill and those of us who were her clients were taken care of by other co-ordinators. Even then, there was a terrific level of caring and the coordinators made their very best efforts to keep themselves up to speed on those of us who were not "their" clients.

I would highly recommend this center to anybody. A friend of mine had a kidney transplant at Johns Hopkins and considered that experience an 11 out of 10 and considered Fairview a 10 out of 10.

Cora
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 01:37:15 PM »

I would highly recommend this center to anybody. A friend of mine had a kidney transplant at Johns Hopkins and considered that experience an 11 out of 10 and considered Fairview a 10 out of 10.

Cora

I had mine in St Barnabas in Livingston, NJ in 1995.  I'd give them a 10/10.  They really gave great after care and were always there to answer any questions I had.  One doctor in particular Shamkant Mulgoankar was the best, he always had faith in me and helped me with whatever came up.  I rejected the kidney the second day I had it and it was his patience and faith that helped hold me together. 
http://www.sbhcs.com/services/renal/team/leadership.html

donna

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 02:52:33 PM »

I had my transplant in 1988 and had great care for about a year.  Then I was fine and didn't care if I ever saw them again.  I had to go to my Nephrologist twice a year and always welcomed seeing him.  Dr. Leo Obermiller is the only physician who has been truthful to me and has always been there for me. 

What I could not believe is the apathy of the new transplant team and physicians TODAY.  They don't really care if they list you or not.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »