I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 12, 2024, 11:19:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Brain Fog
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brain Fog  (Read 14124 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: June 06, 2011, 12:40:32 PM »

Did anybody have this problem when you had renal failure and while being on dialysis? Did the brain fog ever go away with a transplant? I'm curious to know :)

My memory is horrible and this past week I had a nurse tell me she remembered me from months ago (from this past October) and I really, really did not remember her. I used to always be pretty good remembering faces, names, no, but faces, yes. So this one nurse in my unit whom I had not seen for months, told me she remembered me, and everything I said to her. I went blank and speechless, unable to recall anything I said to her. :oops; It's a very, very scary feeling to meet someone who have not seen for months and suddenly they tell you everything you said and you can't remember a darned thing!!! It's so scary........and......sad!! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 12:46:06 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:36:13 PM »

i was told by the medical professions years ago that memory loss is a direct cause of dialysis

forgot little things i had done days ago, conversations i had.

could be ageing too :urcrazy;

gonna turn 45 in about 5 days

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

I would say yes.

Prior to dialysis I counted on my memory for just about everything. I never had need of a diary or anything like that, and I could remember obscure things like 11 digit FF numbers or random birthdays, or stuff I needed to do etc.

While on D I did find that my memory became less reliable and I would forget little things - just like Ang says.

Post transplant yes, the head has cleared up a lot. I am not sure that my memory is(or ever will be) as good as it was, but I definitely feel much more confident about my abilities post-tx with all those toxins out of the system than I did when I was on D.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 08:02:52 PM »

I hear you Richard dear, but what would be my excuse?  I think with me its just plain ole age!  WARNING!!!!! DON'T DARE ASK ME MY AGE!   TeeeeeeHeeeee!

lmuunchkin    :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:14 AM »

LOL!  ;D

It's such a huge relief to know/realize I'm not the only one! One thing I might add though is that I'm teased by family members for it, and that get on my nerve!  :Kit n Stik;

I do try to keep a sense of humor about it, sometimes it's not always easy and makes me pretty frustrated! :banghead;

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:36:07 AM »

I am 9 months post transplant, and I still have memory issues.  And the more someone demands that of course, I do remember -- well, the more upset I can get.  It is better than pre transplant, so I think the toxins aren't the only problem --- age is a factor too.   My Mother died with Alzheimers, so there is the constant worry of that beginning.    ..............now, what were we talking about?   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »

You have a great sense of humor, Paris! LMAO!  ;D ;D

Would I say my memory is a little better than it was predialysis, yes, but I still say I have a pretty bad memory ;D Even writing things down as a reminder, I still forget :oops; :urcrazy; ;D

bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »

I had brain fog while I was on dialysis.  After the transplant I had a strange sensation like I had not been paying attention for a few years.  It was really weird.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

It's interesting you mentioned that, Bette1. I wondered if that might happen for me. I'm so curious to see how I will be post transplant. :)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »

My brain fog was a lot better when I did nocturnal dialysis.  It took a few weeks to see a difference.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »

Sounds like there is hope that it will get better! I have hope! :2thumbsup;

Some days I feel as though I am losing it! LOL! :urcrazy;

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »

I am at the stage where I generally remember the things I've forgotten.

Galvo
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »

Yes to being worse on D and better on transplant.  Yes to still being worse thanks to being older, too.

I should have bought stock in Post-it Notes - I can't live without them.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 07:07:52 PM »

No matter how much D brain fog I got I always knew what was important to me - girls, girls, girls!!!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

:shy;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »

LMAO! ;D ;D ;D

kamar55

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:27 AM »

yes...major brain fog since dialysis. I always keep a pen & pad of paper next to me to write notes to remind me. Sometimes I'll remember something and if I don't write it down...Poof, it's gone. I try to keep my mind sharp by doing puzzles of all kinds, both online and off...have dozens of puzzle books for mental acuity and I think they do help..

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »

I do that too, with the writing down of things to remember, always a pen and paper nearby for me too! :thumbup;

I should really do the puzzles too, I do like word games and do enjoy those, I should get into them again! ;D Thx for the advice! :grouphug;

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 07:54:58 PM »

Due to ESRD (and maybe HD as well), my brain fog got to the point that I was starting to forget how to drive a car!

I'm not making this up.

There I was, barreling down the left lane of Interstate 495, when I saw the sign that my exit was coming up in one more mile.  And suddenly, I forgot how to get my car off at the next exit--how and when to move into the right lane, how to decelerate, the whole thing.  And yet I've been driving for over 30 years.

After maybe 30 seconds, I remembered again, and I had just enough time to maneuver my car into the exit.

With a transplant, my memory and mental clarity have improved greatly--but they're still not quite as good as they were before my kidneys began to fail. 

I do crossword puzzles and math problems, to try to keep my brain sharp.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:45 PM »

Oh my goodness!

kamar55

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 03:55:02 AM »

Due to ESRD (and maybe HD as well), my brain fog got to the point that I was starting to forget how to drive a car!

You just reminded me---brain fog was the major reason I had to stop driving.  :thumbdown; I do miss the freedoms of just driving but not the car payments, insurance, repairs and esp. gas   :thumbup;

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
onestronglittlelady

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 04:03:06 AM »

I think I will print all these and take them to my Dialysis unit. They love to come talk to me during dialysis, then wonder why I have no idea what we talked about!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 05:41:50 AM »

Kamar, I didn't drive for the first two months that I was on dialysis because of it.....not only that my balance was an issue, I walked like I was a drunk for the first few months! Did you give up the driving on your own or was it under doctor's advice not to drive?

LOL LMAO! onestronglittlelady! That is funny! ;) ;D

kamar55

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »

Kamar, I didn't drive for the first two months that I was on dialysis because of it.....not only that my balance was an issue, I walked like I was a drunk for the first few months! Did you give up the driving on your own or was it under doctor's advice not to drive?

LOL LMAO! onestronglittlelady! That is funny! ;) ;D

At first I was so sick, I barely knew what a car was....Then the brain fog set in and I decided that I just couldn't drive any more. I got rid of my car so it wouldn't be a temptation for me when I shouldn't be driving. But every once in a while when the fog clears, I would love to get in a car and drive, drive, drive.... ;)

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 03:14:01 AM »

I'm so sorry  :( :grouphug;

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »

Have you seen me use the term "dialysis brain"? Yeah can't remember anything anymore...I have to stop and think "Hhhhmmmm what was I doing again?"

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »