I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 03:35:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How many home hemo patients are there in the US?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many home hemo patients are there in the US?  (Read 2748 times)
JohnJ

« on: June 05, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »

I read on one site 5,000-6,000 but I thought NxStage had that many alone. So...does anyone have an idea of how many there are? Friends ask and I'm curious. Hell...my non-renal doctors and nurses are often surprised to hear I'm on home hemo and wonder how many there are of us. I know there are only 3 in the 3 clinic area served locally.

And does it bother anyone else when you tell a nurse that you stick yourself with a 16 gauge needle and they cringe? I mean..damn..a nurse shouldn't cringe in front of a patient but it it fun to watch  >:D

And in the end. The love you take.
Is equal to the love ... you make.
greg10

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:37:51 PM »

Welcome to the forum John.  Your NxStage number is probably correct, around 5000, but the total number of dialysis patients in the US is about 400,000.

Read all about the state of dialysis in the US here:
"Today, dialysis is a lifeline for almost 400,000 Americans. Yet, despite massive expense by U.S. taxpayers, Americans endure some of the worst outcomes for dialysis care in the industrialized world. One in five patients dies each year. Those that survive often grapple with frequent hospitalizations and poor quality of life."
http://www.propublica.org/article/dialysis-the-story-so-far

I read on one site 5,000-6,000 but I thought NxStage had that many alone. So...does anyone have an idea of how many there are? Friends ask and I'm curious. Hell...my non-renal doctors and nurses are often surprised to hear I'm on home hemo and wonder how many there are of us. I know there are only 3 in the 3 clinic area served locally.

And does it bother anyone else when you tell a nurse that you stick yourself with a 16 gauge needle and they cringe? I mean..damn..a nurse shouldn't cringe in front of a patient but it it fun to watch  >:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:03:06 PM by greg10 » Logged

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »