I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:23:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  MY CLINIC IS GREAT
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MY CLINIC IS GREAT  (Read 6364 times)
HILINE

« on: June 02, 2011, 05:26:17 AM »

after reading many posts, I  am convinced  the BERLIN. MD Clinic is outstanding. very good caring staff. I am very lucky
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:06:58 AM by ANDREW » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:11:51 AM »

We were always happy with our clinic, too, Andrew. Of course, ours was a non-profit clinic in Knoxville. I know a worker at a Davita clinic in Knoxville, and he is not very complimentary of it!

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
HILINE

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:12:11 AM »

the horror stories are amazing, I have another clinic the same distance from where I live. I checked them out but I am staying with Davita :thumbup;
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:17:19 AM »

The quality of care statistics for your DaVita Clinic aren't all that wonderful either.  Worse than state/national average for survival, hospitalization and infection rates.  How long have you been on dialysis?  What do you give priority in your dialysis treatment?

http://projects.propublica.org/dialysis/facilities/212520

the horror stories are amazing, I have another clinic the same distance from where I live. I checked them out but I am staying with Davita :thumbup;

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
HILINE

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »

I am reporting how the patients are treated, not sure about the stats. I have been on dialysis since late 2006
PatDowns

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »

So in your opinion, higher patient morbidity and mortality rates are secondary to how patients are "treated?"   As long as staff members have smiles on their faces and you have a comfortable chair to sit it, shortened life expectancy is OK?

I am reporting how the patients are treated, not sure about the stats. I have been on dialysis since late 2006
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:11:14 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
romanyscarlett

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »

I'm in the UK and I have no idea how to look for the stats relating to clinic but I think it's very important how patients are treated.

I've read some awful things on here with people talking about nurses being rude, techs moving machines while patients are connecting and nearly pulling out the lines, extreme delays and all sorts of other things that make dialysis a lot harder.

I have seen nothing like that in my clinic. Admittedly I've only been on dialysis for a year but from what I've seen at my clinic every patient is happy with their treatment and the staff. I've had dialysis at 2 other clinics in the area when I've been an in-patient at hospital and I wouldn't move to either of these clinics for all the money in the world.
HILINE

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »

So in your opinion, higher patient morbidity and mortality rates are secondary to how patients are "treated?"   As long as staff members have smiles on their faces and you have a comfortable chair to sit it, shortened life expectancy is OK?

GET A LIFE :thumbdown;
PatDowns

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 09:21:56 AM »

Obviously, you aren't much concerned about keeping yours going by being in denial about your clinic's performance.  Your choice.

"The path of least resistance both for the nephrologists and the patient is the limited care dialysis environment in the dialysis unit. Basically, in a center all the patient has to provide is a uremic body to be dialyzed and an access device for someone to inject. In exchange for this noninvolvement, the patient gives up a large portion of his life and becomes a prisoner of dialysis. Limited care dialysis scheduling is comparatively inflexible. The patient's life must be scheduled around the dialysis units' schedule as opposed to home hemodialysis where the dialysis procedure can be scheduled around your life.

As in all circumstances, freedom requires that you accept responsibility. This particularly applies to dialysis. If the individual is willing to accept the responsibility for his treatment, he may go home, visit with his family in the evening while he is dialyzing, watch television and have a full day in which to conduct his family or business affairs. The reality is: do you want to respond to the beat of my drum or do you want to beat your own drum?"

- John Bower, MD - Dialysis Pioneer

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:30:47 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Dialysis prescription:
HILINE

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:44 AM »

Obviously, you aren't much concerned about keeping yours going by being in denial about your clinic's performance.  Your choice.

"The path of least resistance both for the neurologists and the patient is the limited care dialysis environment in the dialysis unit. Basically, in a center all the patient has to provide is a uremic body to be dialyzed and an access device for someone to inject. In exchange for this noninvolvement, the patient gives up a large portion of his life and becomes a prisoner of dialysis. Limited care dialysis scheduling is comparatively inflexible. The patient's life must be scheduled around the dialysis units' schedule as opposed to home hemodialysis where the dialysis procedure can be scheduled around your life.

As in all circumstances, freedom requires that you accept responsibility. This particularly applies to dialysis. If the individual is willing to accept the responsibility for his treatment, he may go home, visit with his family in the evening while he is dialyzing, watch television and have a full day in which to conduct his family or business affairs. The reality is: do you want to respond to the beat of my drum or do you want to beat your own drum?"

- John Bower, MD - Dialysis Pioneer

[/quot

I am concerned, who in the hell appointed you the dialysis god
romanyscarlett

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:11 AM »

Home hemo isn't an option for everyone. It's not an option for me but I don't mind as in-centre treatment is by far the better option for me as an individual.

Before dialysis I was extremely needle-phobic and I had hypnotherapy to help me overcome this. I'm no longer afraid of the needles but I still couldn't ever stick myself. As it is, I have to look away when the needles are put in at dialysis and I don't think that will ever change. If I was to have home hemo either my mother or my boyfriend would have to be trained to needle me but neither of them are very keen on doing this.

I'm on the morning shift at dialysis so I have treatment while my family are at work. I'm home by 1pm so I have the whole afternoon to myself. I can walk the dog, continue my baking hobby and prepare dinner for my family. I spend my evenings with my family or with friends and I'm free to move about whenever I want. If I was on home hemo I'd be stuck on the sofa or my bed having dialysis in the evenings because that is the only time I'd be able to be needled since doing it myself wouldn't be an option.

Home hemo is a wonderful thing and it has made the lives of so many people that much easier but it's not possible for everyone. Long live my clinic and all who sail in her!
PatDowns

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:32 AM »

As I said, if you are informed, yet wish to stay in denial about the clinic, then it is YOUR CHOICE!

I am concerned, who in the hell appointed you the dialysis god

Dialysis prescription:
HILINE

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 09:46:45 AM »

PAT; you can go F--- yourself
PatDowns

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:05 AM »

Transferring some of this combativeness to your center could actually be productive.

PAT; you can go F--- yourself

Dialysis prescription:
HILINE

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:23 AM »

I am sorry  I ever got involved with this site. I didn't expect a know it all like you pat :waving;
jamoman

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:09:24 AM »

@ pat well your profile says 18+yrs in center so you can`t really condem in center dialysis now can you. i do in center & am totally involved in my treatment, but i`m on nocturnal & love it. sorry you hate what has given you 18+yrs of life. andrew stick it out this site can save your life some of the more positive info you can getmake it well worth it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:11:21 AM by jamoman » Logged
PatDowns

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »

I don't condemn in center dialysis.  On the contrary, that has been my treatment modality of choice for the 18+ years of esrd.   However, I do condemn lousy in center care.  Wouldn't have made it this long if in a clinic with the morbidity and mortality stats of the Berlin DaVita where Andrew thinks the care is so great. 

I'm also ACTIVELY involved in all aspects of my treatment from dialysis prescription to doing incenter selfcare.  Question might be to ask Andrew how involved he is as well.

@ pat well your profile says 18+yrs in center so you can`t really condem in center dialysis now can you. i do in center & am totally involved in my treatment, but i`m on nocturnal & love it. sorry you hate what has given you 18+yrs of life. andrew stick it out this site can save your life some of the more positive info you can getmake it well worth it.

Dialysis prescription:
PatDowns

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:42:29 AM »

If you are going to leave this site because of one person, me, then I question your motives for coming on here to begin with. 

I am sorry  I ever got involved with this site. I didn't expect a know it all like you pat :waving;
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:44:41 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Dialysis prescription:
HILINE

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 11:35:34 AM »

I came  to learn, not to read what   arrogant arseholes  write :sarcasm; I AM DONE HERE :waving;
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 12:14:01 PM »

I came  to learn, not to read what   arrogant arseholes  write :sarcasm; I AM DONE HERE :waving;

Andrew, I am happy that you find yourself in a great clinic. The supplier of services is not important. A clinic is made up of the people - patients and the staff, and a caring staff is the start of something great. It doesn't matter what the corporate culture is, they cannot undo the nature of the staff. That coupled with the open communication between patients and staff that develops when the staff is caring and friendly is the real bottom line of quality care.

Statistics are statistics  - each stat has a high, a low, and the mean. Happily, the real God of Dialysis has smiled upon you and led you to a great center.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »

patdowns, I don't know why you seem to be attacking Andrew, because all I saw was him complimented his clinic, and you through him under the bus for it. It's ok to post your opinion, but why the personal attack? That is not acceptable behavior and will result in being banned from IHD if it continues. As for the banked out language in Andrews post, he was only defending himself. I hope Andrew doesn't leave the site. Have a little compassion for others viewpoints and in return they will be more likely to listen to yours. People come here to vent with like minded individuals to learn and cope with this disease and dialysis.

Sluff / Admin
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »

Let me start by saying each person's experiences is his/her own truth, but it isn't necessarily the same answer for everyone.   Andrew, I am glad you appreciate your clinic. There are great clinics that function beautifully and have very happy clients. 

My main point is that this site was build on free speech.  Epoman got shut down on many other sites, so he started one where you could speak your mind openly.   But, he insisted on respect.  So, name calling or rude language doesn't get very far here.   We are all sick people, or caring for someone sick.   People may not consider themsleves "sick" but kidney failure causes lots of "sickness" in our lives. 

I avoid some posts if I know they are going to upset me. No one wins and it is pointless.  We need positive thoughts.  We are already beat up by the world.    So, watch the words, think before you type.  Remember your mother saying "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?  Constructive critizism is welcome. Bullying or being mean is not welcome.

paris, Moderator

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
PatDowns

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »

I showed Andrew the M and M stats for his center - something others on here do all the time.  I also asked what he believed was priority for a good clinic.  I don't consider that an attack.  However, if you feel my style on here is so abrasive and that others aren't adult enough to either skip over or ignore them, then become a nanny and ban/censor me. 

BTW - I do find it interesting that you can ban someone, yet, there is not a link on here for people to remove themselves.

patdowns, I don't know why you seem to be attacking Andrew, because all I saw was him complimented his clinic, and you through him under the bus for it. It's ok to post your opinion, but why the personal attack? That is not acceptable behavior and will result in being banned from IHD if it continues. As for the banked out language in Andrews post, he was only defending himself. I hope Andrew doesn't leave the site. Have a little compassion for others viewpoints and in return they will be more likely to listen to yours. People come here to vent with like minded individuals to learn and cope with this disease and dialysis.

Sluff / Admin
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:36:51 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Dialysis prescription:
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 12:38:31 PM »

Pat relax....we all know your opinion about dialysis patients standing up for their care. While I agree with you, there was no reason for you to make a negative comment on Andrew's post. He was saying he is happy...Live and let live!

Hello Andrew!!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
PatDowns

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 12:49:17 PM »

Pat relax....we all know your opinion about dialysis patients standing up for their care....Live and let live!

xo,
R

Yes Ma'am.  (-:

Dialysis prescription:
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »