I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 16, 2024, 01:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD Cylcer Drain Pain ~ Any help would be great!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD Cylcer Drain Pain ~ Any help would be great!!  (Read 11923 times)
jbrock

« on: June 01, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »

Hi everyone....Its been awhile since I posted but I have been having my fistula placement in my are done,,,,Not 6 weeks ago I had ny PD Catheter placed, That went great,
I have the manuals down. Only problem we ran into and I am so hoping some here can help me with their experience with this.

Yesterday the clinic wanted to do a run through on me with the cycler in center to see how I did. Well long story short, When it came time to drain on the cycler something grabed by inerds on my backside and I about fainted the pain was so bad, I would go thru childbirth again than ever feel that kind of pain. They of course stopped the cycler and said they wondered if my catheter was hitting my rectus muscle when it was trying to pump/drain me? When I do manuals its not nearly as painful with the cycler.

Anyone have problems in the beginning with their catheter hitting something towards your back side? If so....did it eventually go away If this keeps happening they said the surgeon might have to manipulate the end of the cath away from my behind...lol

Please, Please any one have words of encouragement or tell me what your story was/is.
Thanks!!
Joy

Save A Life....Be A Donor!
Liver Transplant Recipient ~ 5 Years Ago ~ Blessed :)
Diagnosed in Kidney Failure ~ March 2009
Fistula Placement ~ Upper left Arm ~ Aug. 17th 2010
PD Cath placement - 5 months ago
D started 3 months ago - Manual's 3x a day. Going to try the cycler in a couple of weeks :)
CHeatherS

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »

Hi Joy!  Wow, I am really sorry to hear this, gah!  I am pretty new at this, only 2 months on PD, and I am hoping for a transplant in about 2 months, so sort of a short timer.  But I have had my issues.  I too think that my catheter was placed way too low, both for my exit site, so that I can't wear any pants like I used to, but also pretty low and resting on my bladder.  When I am empty, it's  like a screw driver pressing on the bladder, yeah, not pleasant at all.  And I do get a pinching feeling at drain time, but not THAT bad as you are explaining.  What cycler machine are you using?  I am using the Liberty cycler.  Could they slow down the rate of drain, so it goes a bit slower?  Were you at all constipated? 

I hope others will have some advice because they have more experience.  Blessings to you in this, hang in there, ask a lot of questions.... 

Heather
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 05:27:33 AM »

I am not very experienced either, only had 10 months with the Baxter cycle. To start with, I had drain pain with the manual bags and the D nurses assured me it would go away. Sorry, but it never did, even with the cycler. It wasn't bad most of the time but occasionally I would kink the hose to stop the drain and the pain. Often, maybe twice a night, I would have to get out of bed an do a little dance to ease it, and if I slept through a drain, I was mightily pleased. Wish I could say it went away. Good luck with solving/easing the problem. Hope it doesn't mean more surgery.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
Kong

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »

The only time I have drain pain is the initial drain. You should ask the nurse to program your cycler for tidal so it doesn't try to empty you all the way. Maybe that would help.
Atooraya

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:02:02 AM »

Hi ihad the same prob. I asked the nurse to program it in Tidal mode. This helped a lot. The good news is that eventually the pains go away.
Willis

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:53:41 AM »

My PD nurse said to close the valve slightly on the transfer set and that did help the drain pain. That will cause the fill/drain cycles to be a bit longer due to the reduced flow. On manual drains I wait until I feel the first twinge of pain then close the valve just a bit until the pain goes away. That usually works for me!

mykey711

mykey

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »

Yep. my dialysis nurse told me just today that about a third of us get drain pain. Some time it's pretty bad. It's worse on the final drain and I'm on Tidal. I get on the floor on my knees and bend over, that helps. I wish I could adjust the siphon strength down a little on the cycler. I think that would help. On the manual, pinching the valve on your catheter just a bit helps as above.

I'm a 58 year old Family doctor with Alport's syndrome. I've been on PD for almost a year. I've been on transplant list since May 2010 at three centers, Michigan, Cleveland, and Indiana.  My brother has the same disease and is on his second transplant for about 12 years now.
phyl1215

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 06:55:24 AM »

Sorry your having so much trouble.  I'm on PD over a year now and on occasion I have some pain but most nights I sleep through the whole night now.  Are you going to the bathroom (bowel's) regularly being constipated causes a lot of problems with PD, if so ask your PD nurse what stool softener to use.  Good Luck

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
Annig83

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:31:18 PM »

I am having the same problem. I use the Liberty model, and I just started CCPD last night, but I've always had sensitvity even when doing manuals.  I have to bypass the first initial drain, and when I am "empty" I feel the catheter hit every nerve in my lower abdomen.  :(  My nurse suggested adding 500 ml manually before I start the initial drain at night.  When I get the pain I bring my legs up and breathe in and out slowly, it helps immensely.  (Almost like when you are in labor).  Hope this helps?

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
Willis

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »

I've only been on PD (Baxter HomeChoicePro) for a month now and still get the drain pain, though it has decreased some. It's worst for me on the initial drain for some reason. What I do may not be for everyone, but I stand up and do exercises. I start with "toe lifts" where I just raise myself on my toes. And then I do squat thrusts--spread feet wide and squat like you are in a sitting position with hands at your waist then rise to standing position with felt still spread apart. And if I'm still not drained yet, I do an exercise where I stand on one leg and raise and lower the other leg, then switch to the other. I do 50 reps of each of these...using 3lb, 5lb, or 10lb handweights makes the exercise even more effective. These take my mind off the pain and also seem to help get a higher drain value.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:07 AM »

Willis, I would love to see you doing all this. Sounds better than going to the gym. Glad it helps the drain.  Thanks for the chuckle.
Willis

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:26 PM »

Willis, I would love to see you doing all this. Sounds better than going to the gym. Glad it helps the drain.  Thanks for the chuckle.
:rofl;

Well, it's easy to do while standing right next to the bed. It beats just sitting/standing there suffering drain pain! But if it matters, my wife wonders what the hell I'm doing too...  :P

mykey711

mykey

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »

Very slowly, I'm having less discomfort. I'm using higher concentrations which increases the amount of fluid left in your abdomen, I'm also on Tidal, so usually only the final drain is bad. I sit up and forward with my knees together. This helps for the last 100 or so CC's of drain. Also, I've notice less pain sleeping on my belly instead of my back when it drains. I too might have to have the surgeon adjust the position of the catheter. I hope not.

I'm a 58 year old Family doctor with Alport's syndrome. I've been on PD for almost a year. I've been on transplant list since May 2010 at three centers, Michigan, Cleveland, and Indiana.  My brother has the same disease and is on his second transplant for about 12 years now.
Atooraya

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 05:09:52 PM »

Jbrock, sorry about the pain. I had the same thing for the first three months of Baxter PD. Then my nurse switched it to tidal. It still sucked and hurt. But after about 6 months the pain went away. I'm assuming scar tissue has formed sufficinetly to stop the pain. So, hang in there. It will get better.
pkav1

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 06:16:03 PM »

.. also don't forget that the position of you cycler will influence the suction. If its up very high above your bed it has to work harder to drain you so the pain near end will be worse. So get a bed up high and the cycler down low and the machine will adjust accordingly. :ess suction less pain! works great for me, simple physics.

APD 2 years in oct 2011, transplant pool 1 year. Doing very well on APD
Willis

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 02:37:57 PM »

.. also don't forget that the position of you cycler will influence the suction. If its up very high above your bed it has to work harder to drain you so the pain near end will be worse. So get a bed up high and the cycler down low and the machine will adjust accordingly. :ess suction less pain! works great for me, simple physics.
Good thought! Last night I picked up the 15ft or so of coiled excess of the patient line off the floor and hung it on the front of the cycler (Baxter). I believe it did make a small difference. If nothing else the drain cycle seemed shorter.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 08:28:39 AM »

Willis, You crack me up.
sailboatjeff

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 08:16:07 PM »

Hello,

Been on PD since April and got my cycler yesterday. I have had the occasional drain pain but my bog problem has been with the fills, causing me some major cramping. Last night, my first with the cycler (Liberty), i thought my guts were getting sucked out on the drains but fortunately i figured out that if i laid on my side, i had very little discomfort with the fills. I switched it to Tidal today so hopefully it works better tonight.

1999 IGA Nephritis diagnosis
2010 March - Creatinin started getting out of control
2010 October made the transplant waiting list
2011 April started PD
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »

There you go, you are getting the hang of it. Just do what works for you.
tbarrett2533

Me licking my kidneys from my birthday kidney cake

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:46 PM »

and after reading this, I think I will continue to do my manuals...... and they friggin suck as it is....
the drain pain is TERRIBLE!!! thank god its only at the very last drip and I clamp off really fast which solves the problem  :2thumbsup;
the fills are even worst if I remain sitting so I have been standing and that helps

but I am almost certain I will stick with manuals after reading this YIKES!

;D

CKD since: 1981
9.22.10: Catheter surgery
9.23.10: Started in center Hemo
10.06.10: Fistula surgery
12.02.10: Started using right upper arm Fistula (15 gauge)
12.30.10: Catheter Removed
07.01.11: Laparoscopic CAPD Catheter insertion
07.29.11: Started CAPD, 2000ml, 4 exchanges (Baxter)
08.15.11: Started filling with 1500ml (instead of 2000ml), 4 exchanges
08.21.11: Back to 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3-2.5% & 1-1.5%)
10.12.11: 2000ml fills, 4 exchanges (3 1.5% & 1-2.5% overnight)
11.08.11: Transplant list

Dialysis works for me, I don't work for dialysis!
It's my body, my health!!
Sonarman2

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 01:29:23 PM »

Tbarrett2533 is right. I'm due to start training for the cycler later this month but I have had pain doing manuals on both drain and fill. Makes me wonder if I'm going in the right direction. I'm a little old for "jumping jacks" like Willis.
Atooraya

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 04:40:47 PM »

Start with "tidal" mode on the cycler. The drain pains will be more manageable. The good news is that in my case it took about 6 months and the drain pains went away.
Annig83

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 05:55:28 PM »

@ Sailboatjeff- Are getting sharp stabbing pains?  Or cramping?  If it's just cramping, you may not have the bag warm enough.  If the solution is too cold you can get horrible cramping.   :twocents;  I used to heat my bags up for about two hours because I was so sensitive to begin with.  Maybe it will help?  Good luck

*~Annie~*
Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.
Arnold Bennett
Even though I have gone through so much with ESRD, my son is my inspiration to keep going.  He was delievered at 28 weeks weighing 1 lb 12 oz and today he is a fun-loving 1 year old, whom I love with all my heart!

Diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome Age 13- 1996 Unknown Cause. 35% functioning of both kidneys.
Stable until Age 27; complications with pregnancy, loss of 25% function. (Current functioning is between 5-7%).
December 3, 2010- PD Catheter Placed on Left Side
March 2011- PD Catheter Removal (Due to malfunction)
April 2011- PD Catheter Placement on Right Side
April 2011- Surgery to adjust Catheter and "tacking of fatty tissue"
May 2011- CCPD Started
October 2012- Infection of PD catheter.  PD Cath. removal surgery. Perma-Cath. Placed for Hemodialysis.
Hemodialysis started October 12, 2012.
January 16 2013- First Fistula
On Transplant List in Indiana, awaiting 1st Transplant at IU Health in Indianapolis.
pitagory

Sorry guys for my spelling and punctuation

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

I am on the Baxter and I only feel a little pain or pull at the very end. It was worked grate for me. hope you can get it fixed and not go to surgery again.

"I dont need easy,  I just need posible"
*kana*

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 05:30:56 AM »

My experience with that is they kept telling me it would eventually go away........uhm, sadly it took almost 2 1/2 years. 
I hope you get relief sooner than that. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »