I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  one-time dialysis, what happens ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: one-time dialysis, what happens ?  (Read 13234 times)
hopeful28

« on: May 31, 2011, 04:18:33 AM »

hi everybody,
can someone give me some info about how body responds to dialysis. i.e if somebody is avoiding dialysis despite the symptoms, and gets convinced for a single dialysis, is it necessary to continue the dialysis treatments or can that person continue living "normally" (after a one-time dialysis) as a pre-dialysis person?
thanks for your time,

God Bless.
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »

It will depend on how toxin-filled and fluid overloaded somebody allows his/her body to become.  Not much fluid or toxin removal can be accomplished in a short time frame - even if it is a slow treatment over an 8 hour time period.   Also, if (s)he has irreversible kidney failure, one dialysis treatment will not help very much. 

There are only two ways to get dialysis for a one-time treatment - femoral artery access through the groin or by placing a PermCath in the chest.  Groin access isn't all that pleasant since having to stay in the hospital bed on your back while the catheters stay in.  Usually, no more than 3 treatments in a row are given in the same spot through femoral dialysis.

A PermCath, as its name implies, stays in while one can still go about daily activities until deciding to either go on peritoneal dialysis or getting a fistula for better hemodialysis treatment.  So, if going this way, it would be senseless to have it removed (and I don't think many surgeons would be willing to place one for one-time use).

Bottom line though - if it is physically time for dialysis, then it's time.  The body can only stand so many symptoms of uremic poisoning.  Time to get over the denial issues and begin working on acceptance.  Family support and maybe professional counseling are in order.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:50:33 AM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:42:37 AM »

:Kit n Stik;  You can hit some people over the head and they still won't do it.
Great response Pat - just an example of how much useful advice their is on here.

WMoriarty
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:48:03 AM »

I am assuming you are nearing kidney failure as you say "pre dialysis". I'm sorry you are in that situation. Are you being "convinced" by a dr. to get at least one done becuase you are having a lot of symptoms? You have to keep in mind that your kidneys normally work every minute of every day. When it stops doing that, dialysis becomes your actual life support. If you have enough toxins build up in you you can die. If you have kidney failure and need dialysis treatments get them. If you have been sick now for a while (as most people just starting dialysis have been), you have a lot to "clean out". Most people feel so much better after they start they're treatment. 2 Problems particularly that can arise from not having the proper amounts of treatment are" fluid build up which can cause congestive heart failure, & a build up of Potassium which can cause sudden cardiac death. As a caregiver, my understanding is that sit in a recliner usually with tv and radio in most places for comfort. They will place to needles in your fistula (in your arm). The rest of the time yout sit there. On ocassion some get some low blood pressure or some cramping right after, but they put saline back into the your tube and this helps stop it. For the most part, it goes smoothly with little to report after if you take good care of yourself in between sessions. I imagine you are some what nervous and scared and that is natrual. Many people can even drive themselves in and from dialysis.  Now.. if some has been in say, an accident and has a needs a kidney dialysis, that would be considered "acute" and may need dialysis one time or two but you sound as if you have chronic kidney disease (on going). It is also a good idea (in my opinon) to get a fistula in place if you haven't because it takes a couple months to heal and be able to be used. A lot of people are afrid to start, you're not alone.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »

Start with this post - "Why so often?"

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=23045.0

It was started by someone with similar concerns.

if somebody is avoiding dialysis despite the symptoms, and gets convinced for a single dialysis, is it necessary to continue the dialysis treatments

Nope, you can quit after the first one.  It's life support.  You can withdraw consent at any time and stop going.

can that person continue living "normally" (after a one-time dialysis) as a pre-dialysis person?

And yes, you can go back to the way you were before.  I think the point you are missing is that the way you are pre-dialysis is a long (hopefully slow) slide into total kidney failure, which has only one outcome.  If you are planning to do a test run to see if you want to keep going, keep in mind that for many patients the first month or so is pretty miserable.  It can take weeks for the D center team to adjust dry weight, meds, etc.  You will be much more exhausted and miserable for the first couple of weeks than you will likely be after you get your fluid, diet and dry weight adjusted.  If you just want to do it once to try it out, it's not going to give you an accurate picture of what your life will be like on D.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »

Excellent advise, Jbeany.  If I may add, as a caregiver, it is hard and takes alot of commitment.  But living with D is not all that bad.  You just got to do it in order to live, bottom line!  Kidney's are not just organs, they are Vital Organs!  You can not live without them, period!

I agree with Pat, some professional help and guidance may warrant! Will be praying for the Lord to guide you in this matter!   :pray;

lmunchkin    :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »