I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Has anyone here had a transplant while having a bloodclot?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Has anyone here had a transplant while having a bloodclot?  (Read 3543 times)
shay_pcb

« on: January 11, 2007, 08:49:52 PM »

I was evaluated for a transplant at Shands, and they wrote me back saying that they would have to do something they've never done before. The DVT I have is in my left leg. It starts right above my knee and almost reaches my heart. Shands said that it is blocking where they usually hook the new kidney up, so they would have to hook it up to the vein that drains blood from my intestines. They said that it could clot causing me to lose my intestines and possibly kill me. They said that my kidney could clot too, but I'm not too worried about that right now. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has had a transplant while having a bloodclot and/or a bloodclotting disorder, such as Factor V Leiden or Prothrombin Gene Mutation?? I would LOVE to hear your stories!!

Shannon
kelliOR

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 08:58:24 AM »

I did not have a blood clot at the time of my transplant, but pre-transplant testing found that I had a prothrombin gene mutation.  I had to take lovenox before and after transplant, and am followed by a hemotologist if I happen to need any other surgeries.

kelli

Shoot for the Moon.....Even if you miss, you'll end up among the Stars ........

Denied PKD for years (Boy, was I good at it!)
Dragged kicking and screaming to dialysis (in center hemo)
Transplant from a friend March 24, 2006 at OHSU
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 09:46:07 AM »

You mention that the blood clot is on the left side.... why can't they do the transplant on the right side?

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Jill D.

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 10:48:00 AM »

Blood clots are a big concern when doing any surgery, and if the new kidney clots you will lose it. That is one of the risks that my coordinator warned me about, as it does happen even to people who are not prone to clots. I would think they would want to treat your clotting issue before they did the transplant...of course, having too thin of blood is a problem too!

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
shay_pcb

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 01:30:04 PM »

Blood clots are a big concern when doing any surgery, and if the new kidney clots you will lose it. That is one of the risks that my coordinator warned me about, as it does happen even to people who are not prone to clots. I would think they would want to treat your clotting issue before they did the transplant...of course, having too thin of blood is a problem too!
Well, I have had the blood clot for 3 years, and I am on Coumadin for it. There isn't anything the Dr's can do about it.

You mention that the blood clot is on the left side.... why can't they do the transplant on the right side?
I was wondering the same thing. I guess I will ask when I talk to my Dr on the 24th.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 04:47:45 PM »

I wonder why they can't suck it out the way they do when a fistula clots?

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
shay_pcb

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 06:06:22 PM »

I wonder why they can't suck it out the way they do when a fistula clots?
Bc of how big it is and how close it is to my heart. They can't touch it; they can't do anything to it. They tried to put a filter in to keep it from actually reaching my heart, but they couldn't do that either. It's probably about 2-3 ft long, give or take.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »