I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 09:25:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Weekends!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weekends!!!  (Read 2418 times)
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« on: May 24, 2011, 10:20:44 AM »

I am having a very hard time with fluid overload on weekends!  I always reach to the centre with about 4 - 5 kg overweight.  It pans out in the week.  I usually leave on Mondays over my dry weight, but when I come back on  Wednesday it isn't bad.  Then Friday is great - I usually even have on less than my dry weight when I leave.  Then comes the weekends and .........
Could it be due to the t-shirt I bought saying "5 kilos?  Yea, it was a good weekend".  I think it started the very Monday I first wore it.  I had on 5.3kg!!!

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:14:40 PM »

Oh Bajanne, you are a character!!  Yea, when husband went incenter, it seemed like weekends did it to him too! Those 2 days was like a party time for him.  Now that he is on NxStage at home, heck, he "party's" all the time!  By party, I mean, his food intake! lol.

But he does try to maintain a healthy eating habit.  I give him credit for that!  His labs are good!  I think the thing is is that the In-Center take off alot in 3 days, whereas at home, you are doing 5 to 6 days, so you don't have to "wash it out" all at once!

By the way, How are you holding up?  Been thinking bout you today?

lmunchkin     :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »

Weekends are doing me in too, on the weight gain.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:00:15 AM »

:Kit n Stik;  me too, not too much but enough..sometimes I just oversip.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 02:54:58 AM »

Don't worry about the weekends, I couldn't cope with trying to get rid of 5kg on a Monday so I switched to dialysing 4 days a week and guess what?
Yep, the most I miss off the machine is one day and sometimes I'm looking at a session with 3 kg plus to take off. I can't win!
I think I'm careful, but obviously I'm not. I get so thirsty at times, I know it's pointless taking on fluid I don't need and then taking it off and I know I'm knocking my heart about so, friends, if you got any tips pass them on.
kamar55

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »

Watch out for the ice cube monster! Yes, they last longer than plain water, but the ounces can add up. I know some folks with too much fluid on and they all blamed it on ice cubes. I love crunching ice cubes, but I measure the amt. of water they're equal to and add it to my fluid list for the day. Yes, I write down each ounce of fluid that I intake and try to keep it reaonable so there'll be no shocks on the scale next time. Am I being compulsive...oh well, it works for me    ;)

Want unconditional love? Want a friend for life? Adopt an animal from your local shelter. It's a win, win situation!!
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 04:57:05 PM »

Salt is the killer.

Not the salt you sprinkle on your dinner to make it tasty, that's only a small amount. The big amounts of salt are hidden. In soup, bread, preserved meats, sauces. Avoid these and it's not so difficult to keep your salt down and hence keep thirst away.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
romanyscarlett

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »

I try not to drink anything during the day. If I get thirsty I have an ice-pop instead of a drink. I have a variety of ice-pops in the freezer at all times in three different sizes of 20ml, 45ml and 65ml. A 20ml ice-pop lasts a lot longer and is more thirst quenching than a 20ml mouthful of water. Its really easy to keep your fluid intake under control this way because you can keep extremely accurate records of how much you're intaking.

I also have miniature cans of soft drinks in the fridge. They are all 150ml and I have one of these before I go to bed.

The most I have to come off after a weekend is 3 kilos including wash back.

I'm terrible for avoiding salt. I regularly eat bagels, halloumi, maize crisps likes Wotsits and Monster Munch. I also refuse to give up ketchup regardless of what the dietician says! Using ice-pops instead of drinks means I'm able to get away with it and still not have too much fluid to be removed.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »