I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 09:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  why the potassium was 9.2 ????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: why the potassium was 9.2 ????  (Read 4861 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:07 AM »

First of all , thank you everyon for your support! It means a lot to mean to me. This has been one heck of a time. Seems they can't get the K below 6 atthe hospital yet. They are going to keep at it, but the Dr. seems to think there may be a problem with his fistula and that's what caused that potassium to go so high. Officially 9.2. They are having the surgeon come in and look at it.  My husband has been on dialysis almost 4 years. Fistula in left(?) lower forearm. I have not a clue as to what could be wrong wih the fistula that has possibly caused this. Don't the fistula's last for seveal years? Of course I'm assuming what ever is wrong is cauisng him to now be dialized properly but... May 11th his numbers were good and the month before for the K . Assume the rest were too. If problem with fistula and clearance wouldn't all the numbers be high? Hmmm.. Has anyone had this problem? They also metioned that is the surgeon doesn't thinkit's the fistula they may reccomend Kayaxalate (sp) for in betwen days. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. Thanks

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:55:58 AM »

I don't know, Texie.  I *do* know that when Blokey's potassium spiked to heart-attack inducing levels last summer (and stayed there for-seemingly-ever) it was because of his 'Blood Baby' (the bubble of blood in his belly which occured when they removed his tenckhoff).  They've never confirmed it was that, but did agree it was the likeliest cause because the moment it started being diluted back into his bloodstream his potassium levels decreased.  His diet didn't change at all, even though they were adamant that it must have done (because we are numpties and we lie to them about what he eats, obviously *rolls eyes*).

Hopefully they'll get to the crux of the problem, and quickly.

*huggles*

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Alisa

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 08:54:49 AM »

Potassium problems are very common for me. I go weekly for blood work to try and control it, my diet has not changed but in the last year my potassium continues to be a problem which I never had before.  My highest has been 6.8 and my normal is around 5.
 I control it right now with the  Kayaxalate you mentioned.  I take 30mg everyother day, and some in between those days if I am feeling symptomatic.  I am on the powder form, not sure if there are more than one type but tips I can pass on are that even though it says to mix with water or syrup only, you can mix with ice tea powder or lemonaid, I find it hard to down the water alone, also it causes stomach upset, diarrhea and constipation, best of both worlds there, and lastly, once mixed you need to continue stirring while you are drinking as it settles between sips, does not dissolve.  Best device I`v found is a juice bottle with screw lid as you can turn it upside down and shake between sips, makes it a little easier.  Hope some of this helps.

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »

Is his hemoglobin level unchanged? Did he have any sort of injury? Significant bruising or a burn?

I think you are right that if it was the fistula the other numbers would be off (phosphorus, urea) too because with recirculation it would be as if he was receiving less dialysis.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
woodsman

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »

I take Kayaxalate every day 30 gms and it does keep it lower, i am in the low 4's right now.
 I use a mason jar to shake it up and just drink it from the jar with water (ice cold water). Its like drinking sand.. noe fun buy has to be done..
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »

Tonight it is in the 4's finally. He was dialized again today. Do they test you more frequentlythan the others.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

I've never heard of that reason, if a fistulas working well it thrills great, and clearences are good.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 12:06:31 AM »

I agree with the others.. if there was a problem with the fistula first you'd notice it affecting dialysis, and it wouldn't just be the K that was out of line one would think (although to be fair with phos binders that may not be affected so much).

Fistulas can last ages and ages. I had mine put in June, 2004 (so almost 7 years) and it's still going strong, though only had the 4.5 years of regular use. I'm confident though that if they had to needle me tomorrow it would be just fine.

i wonder if it's something else, though the whole situation seems odd :(

Glad he is down in the normal range finally!!!  :2thumbsup;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:24:09 AM »

So relieved TS that he is doing better. When he gets completly well, just smack him for scaring the life out of you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:47:41 PM »

Jean, he's lying on the floor. I got 'em with a rolling pin lol. He is home today. K is 4. His fistual is ok too. I need to go get some sleep before iI fall. Exausted!

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 01:55:59 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

I know you must be exhausted by all this.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 03:36:15 AM »

Today he is home. Fistula-gram showed it's ok. His K was at 4 when he left. He has been prescribed Kaexolatye for in between days. I can hear it now "I can eat this because I take a binder". Yes Willow, I am spent.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 10:58:25 AM »

Tex, so pleased he is home and OK. What is he COOKING UP for dinner. I bet he says he wants something nice because he couldn't eat the hospital food. You take care.
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

@ texasstyle

Have you and/or your nephrologist determined what caused your husband's potassium to sky?

Here's something to check on - if he normally runs on a 1K dialysate concentration (bath), maybe he needs to check that is actually what is being hooked up to his machine.   It is not uncommon for incenter patients to be run on wrong concentrates.  He can either ask to be shown that it is the correct bath or learn how to do it himself.

Adrenal Malfunction (Addison's Disease) can also cause high blood potassium levels.

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 11:24:20 AM »

Glad he's home tex.  Get some rest and enjoy some Me Time (if he lets you!)

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 11:36:24 AM »

Texasstyle , when hubby was n center he always checked to make sure they had the right bath conected.  They do make mistakes because there were a couple of times when the wrong bath was on the machine.  One day they were going to increase his IV iron and hubby questioned it because he knew what the last reading was on his blood work. It was on a Saturday and he refused the iron.  Found out the next week that the doc had wrote the wrong name on the prescription and it was somebody else that was supposed to get the iv iron  not hubby!!!  Always pays to check and question!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »