I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 08:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Persistent nausea
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Persistent nausea  (Read 1746 times)
jeannea
Elite Member

« on: May 23, 2011, 08:08:47 PM »

I've been having trouble on and off for 3 weeks with nausea and vomiting. At one point early on I caved and went to the ER because I couldn't stop vomiting and was afraid of dehydrating and getting my electrolytes messed up. (I do PD on the cycler at night.)

I get better for a while then have another day of extreme nausea. I had 3 days over those 3 weeks of bad vomiting and a number of days of bad nausea. Zofran doesn't seem to help.

I've seen my dialysis nurse a few times and my nephrologist once. The hospital did some tests and found nothing except low potassium. No peritonitis. We thought it was the flu originally but I've never had the flu last this long. I did have a flu shot but it was in Oct. I'm also weaning off of Keppra, seizure med, but when I called my neurologist he said it was very unlikely that was causing it. My potassium is currently 3.3, a little low but not terrible.

My nurse said sometimes low blood pressure can cause nausea. She gave me yellow bags to use and I'm only taking 1 Clonidine per day instead of 4 but still tonight it's 103/68. On the low side for me.

I also called infectious disease in case this is CMV colitis coming back but I would prefer not to go through those tests.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 08:10:16 PM by jeannea » Logged
cath-hater

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 10:11:59 PM »

Meds? What meds are you taking?

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:51:14 AM »

I take lots of meds but none of them have changed except for reducing my clonidine and keppra. I take renvela, clonidine, keppra, prednisone, nephro caps, sensipar, zoloft, prevacid, and stool softener. I have zofran for nausea but it doesn't help. Oh I forgot I also had to stop taking lipitor because I changed insurance and they won't pay for it. But the nausea began before I stopped it.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 08:35:39 AM »

jeannea, meds have got a lot to answer for. Husband had heart attack 3 months ago and they put him on some thing called Effient Prusugral a blood thinner and since then he has not been well. They will not take any notice when I mention, it but he has loads of side affects. Could it be your meds,the one you are weaning off. My husband had to wean his self off morphine patches they were messing with his head and that was like coming down of heroin (so I was told) Hope you get it sorted. I have been and had a word with our pharmacist and she has looked into his tablets, one he should not be taking with something else. Go check your tablets out.
wj13us

Paul's ride 2011

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »

Have you switched from any brand name drugs to generic or a switch in generic manufacturers recently?  Even though the active drug has to be the same the excipients (no active ingredient) don't have to be.  You may be sensitive to an excipient.

Bill
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »