I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:21:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Social Worker Meeting: Pre-Transplant Questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Social Worker Meeting: Pre-Transplant Questions  (Read 4292 times)
Cordelia
Elite Member

« on: May 22, 2011, 03:37:42 PM »

So this coming Tuesday I have my session coming up with a social worker at the transplant hospital where I hope to have my transplant. What kinds of questions can my living donor and I expect?  ???
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:42:53 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Jie

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »

Work, depression, finance (pay for the cost and medicines as well as no pay for the donor), and post-transplant care (plans with detailed care givers for both patient and donor).
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:39:05 PM »

What's your support system, financial, emotional, and physical?  Mental health history?  Ever been depressed?  Suicidal? Are you religious? 

Smile, nod, and don't volunteer things not asked.  Don't fall for the pauses where they don't say anything after you answer.  They are waiting for you to start blabbing at random, so they can play shrink. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 07:12:20 AM »

Thanks..... :grouphug;

I must ask though, are they going to ask for personal references? LOL!

Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
edersham

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

Mine didn't. They just asked all the standard questions about any issues in my life that may have been a problem. I think the most important question was why did I want the transplant and what were my plans if it was successful. They wanted a fairly complete bio of my life and
then they took my picture. This was the first day of 5 days of evaluation. I probably saw 12 different people in the transplant dept. that week and every one of them mentioned some aspect of my life to demonstate they had read the bio and it was always something different.I know it was a technique they use but it still felt good to know they were aware of your life. I never felt under pressure during the psych thing but I have a wonderful neph  that had worked with the head of the transplant clinic years ago in another state and she had paved the way for me like a patient advocate. I feel very lucky to have her for my doctor. I hope she doesn't move.

Ed
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »

Has anyone ever been denied a transplant because they had 'problems' in the past?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:10:35 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 06:23:47 PM »

depends on your definition of problems...lol,
 Well I think they think for any reason the kidney will not last with you, then they may reject you. Universrity of Michigan almost rejected me because they thought at first I was living alone with my daughter. And who would watch her if I got a call in the middle of the night, but that got cleared up by saying at the time that my boyfriend was living with me.

I dont think they ever want to deny people a transplant, they just want to make sure you are going to be able to take care of it if you do get that call.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 04:23:34 AM »

THank you for the advice :grouphug;

Well, here we go, my appointment is this morning, wish me luck everyone :grouphug;

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 07:50:05 AM »

:grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »

Good Luck!

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »

Thanks :grouphug; It went good! I was pleased how it all went. I was nervous, but the gentleman I spoke to, he was quite nice and he seemed to think everything was good. :) I left feeling happy about it :clap; If all goes well with the rest of the pre-transplant testing, my husband (my living donor) and I hope the transplant can take place early next year :clap; :yahoo; :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:52:21 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Marina

God Bless my donor family!! :)

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »

Thanks :grouphug; It went good! I was pleased how it all went. I was nervous, but the gentleman I spoke to, he was quite nice and he seemed to think everything was good. :) I left feeling happy about it :clap; If all goes well with the rest of the pre-transplant testing, my husband (my living donor) and I hope the transplant can take place early next year :clap; :yahoo; :2thumbsup;
:2thumbsup;

"Anything is possible, if  you  BELIEVE....."  ~~~Joel  Osteen

"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift..... That is why it is called the present"

Nov 1979 ~ Diabetes 
Apr. 2004- Nov 2010 ~ CAPD
Nov 9, 2010 ~  Received the  THE  GIFT OF LIFE at 
California Pacific  Medical  center  (CPMC)  in San  Francisco,  CA
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 07:22:41 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 07:09:54 PM »

Thanks, Marina and Jbeany! :grouphug; :grouphug;

rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 06:29:48 AM »

Glad it went well! God Bless your hubby!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »

Thank you, Rsudock!  :grouphug; :waving;

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »