I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Flying on PD
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying on PD  (Read 4336 times)
cath-hater

« on: April 18, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »

So I'm about to take a trip from LA to Orlando by plane.  Going to fly American Airlines.  I've done some research and I guess our dialyzers are considered "assistive devices" and can be check without any baggage fee. Also, I read that you can request to have it "gate checked" meaning you can bring it to the gate and have the airline take it from you there and then give it back to you at the gate at your destination.  I can't carry-on my machine because I have a special suitcase for it (really ruggid Samsonite case with great padding) that is too large to stow away in the overhead bins.  I plan on giving AA a call and have them note my itinerary about my situation so as to avoid any problems checking in.  I already called to have my solution shipped to the hotel.  Can anyone chime in to tell me if this information is correct?

pd patient for 8 years
1 failed transplant
Fresenius patient
age 39

Currently on PD using Fresenius.
PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
Off all immunosuppressants.
Currently not active on any list (by choice).
djgaryb11

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:25:34 AM »

Everything you stated sounds right to me...the only thing i did not do was "gate check" my machine...I just checked it at the regular check in window...and it is considered a "medical assistive device" and you should not be charged a baggage fee for it...so yeah...sounds like you have all the correct info...good luck with your trip !

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:01 AM »

Don't forget all your bits and bobs, like caps and things, they are not normally shipped with your fluid. Have a bag with all these in plus all your medication. Keep them together and carry them on the plane with you. Hope you have a good time. Just a thought, will the electric supply be the same as at  home. When we went to Greece we had to have a some thing for it.
cath-hater

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:55 AM »

I would think the electric supply would be the same. I'm not going international. Isn't all of US standards the same?

PD for 9 years.
1 failed transplant in 2010 due to FSGS - donor kidney still inside and still producing urine (weird), but spilling alot of protein.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 05:47:18 AM »

I haven't got a clue!
*kana*

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »

Sounds like you are getting the right info!  I used to check my machine until the last time we flew.  We fly standby and wasn't able to get on the plane due to so many weather cancelations the day before.  My machine flew to South Carolina and we didn't!  LOL
I will now check it at the gate so it NEVER leaves without me.  I can't do manuals due to a hernia so I went without treatment for a night until I could get my machine back. 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 08:47:36 AM »

I can't do manuals due to a hernia so I went without treatment for a night until I could get my machine back.

Really? I didnt know that manuals made a difference and they caused the hernias? Is it becuase you might absorb the fluid?

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »

I'd hold out for putting your machine on board at the aircraft door...

If it's a bit big for the overhead lockers, ask the crew to place it in the Fragile Hold... That's where crew keep their own luggage, and so it doesn't go missing because it hasn't gone into checked luggage...

I'm not in KF (yet), but I am a wheelchair user... I stupidly allowed my chair to go checked in on two occasions... First time, my chair didn't get on the same flight as I did... No wheelchair when I got to my destination... The airline had to borrow a (TOTALLY unsuitable) wheelchair for me to use until my own arrived the following day.. Nightmare!....

Second occasion, by Powered Chair was damaged beyond repair... NEVER again will I part with my chair at check in!....

Have a good trip!....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
cath-hater

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »

I'm convinced now that I will definitely request a gate check for my machine. Just to clarify - I will bring my machine with me through customs scans and right up to the gate where you board the plane and hand the lady your ticket?

Then who takes it from there? Do they call a luggage handler to come and get it and stow it? Then when I arrive at my destination, who do I ask to get it back for me? Or does it go to baggage claim with the rest of the luggages?

PD for 9 years.
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 01:47:18 AM »

The cabin crew will take your machine from you at the door of the aircraft... They will stow it in the 'Fragile' Hold... ie where they keep their own things... They'll hand it back to you as you leave the aircraft... Baggage handlers will have nothing to do with it...

Oh, and if you can, and if you think of it, bring a few Give Life pens, pencils, key chains, etc with you... Give them to the cabin crew both as a way of saying thank you for their help (keeps them sweet for next time) and it'll also raise their awareness of the issue... Don't bring pins, though... Sharp objects on aircraft, etc....

Have a great trip!...

Maybe you'll let us know how it all goes... Be good for others to gain from your experience...

Love...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Jie

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

For Baxter cycler, it can be placed in the overhead lockers easily. I did not trust anyone to handle my cycler and I always put it in the overhead locker.
cath-hater

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:01:54 AM »

Darth - thanks for the info. now i know what to expect when i get there.

Jie - the luggage I have will not fit in the over head bin or under the seat. too big.

PD for 9 years.
Jie

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »

For Baxter cyclers, there are two luggages: a softcase and a hardcase. The softcase can be fit into the overhead bin easily, and the hardcase has to be checked.
cath-hater

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 11:40:52 PM »

Yeah, I'm a Fresenius patient. So the only suitcase I have is a hard case that is too big for overhead bins.

PD for 9 years.
cath-hater

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:56:38 PM »

so i just back from my florida trip. boy was it a doosey! first we miss our flight out. during the trip i get a leak in my catheter. it was hot and humid, and then it rained on our magical day at magical kingdom.

wednesday morning - got to the airport at 8am. our flight was at 8:45am. got to baggage drop off at 8:02am and was turned away because american airlines has a 45min minimum baggage drop off policy. it was so busy so i couldn't get a flight out until the next morning.

thursday morning - got to airport with over an hour to spare. got to florida and boy was it hot. it was like tarzan hot. we checked in our hotel and glad to see that my dialysate was waiting for me in the hotel lobby. i figure this was the last of our bad mis-fortune on our trip. we went up to our room and rested a little. then we headed off to downtown disney. spent the rest of day there.

thursday night - i set up my machine as usual. i fill as usual. i just left myself connected while i was dwelling. i was watching tv for a good hour or so. then i notice that my right side pant pocket was soaked. i got up and checked my line. load and behold, i find a tiny leak in my catheter. it was about 1am and i know no clinic is open except ER rooms. i did not want to go to the ER. i got on the internet and was able to locate a fresenius clinic in the area that offer PD.

friday morning - i call the clinic at 8am and tell them my situation. they accept me in and offer to help immediately. i rent a car in the hotel lobby and head off to the clinic. they ask for id and insurance and then fix me up. they cut just above the leak and install a new connector for me and give me a new exchange set as well.  they also fill me with 1500cc of fluid mixed with antibiotics and tell me to dwell with it for at least 6 hours.

friday afternoon - i drive back to my hotel and pick up my wife and kid and we're off to magical kingdom - finally.  throughout the day, i'm crossing my fingers that i don't have/or get peritonitis. at about 8pm, a very dark and eery storm came rolling in over the happiest place on earth. it was like right out of a novel. it rained and our day was ended early.

friday evening - i set up my machine and drain the special fluid. i'm looking carefully to see any cloudiness. i was glad to see that it was clear. no peritonitis. yippee !!

saturday morning - we're off the epcot center. had a blast !

sunday morning - flew back home.

american airlines didn't let me do a "gatecheck" of my machine. but they did offer to check it in with over-size baggage area. they basically took it and opened it. inspected it and then supposedly gently placed it in the plane. i don't know how different they handle it from regular checked baggage, but it did come out with the rest of the luggage when i retrieved it.

they did waive the baggage fee for it though. i had 4 bags, but i told them 2 of them were medical equipment. they didn't give me any problems with it. just by mentioning it to them, i saved a total of $100 roundtrip for my baggage.

all in all, it was a very rough start, but ended on a good note.

advice to anyone planning on flying american airlines. you must show up 45 minutes before your flight to check your baggage. they offer no leniency on this policy. i was 2 minutes late and they said they couldn't do anything for me but put me on another flight.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:57:44 PM by cath-hater » Logged

PD for 9 years.
Jie

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 08:40:37 PM »

You are lucky. With discount tickets, some airlines charge the difference between the discount price and full price if one misses the flight and re-books on the second day, plus a fee.
cath-hater

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »

Jie - yeah. while i was waiting in line to catch another flight, which took an hour and a half, i called american airlines on the phone to try to save time. the phone agent told me that she could get me out the next morning, but would cost me an additional $1500 for the 3 of us.

i went to the front counter and got the exact same flight out at no additional charge.

PD for 9 years.
BigSteve

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 07:48:55 PM »

Please check previous messages on this subject. FAA regulations prohibit putting the cycler in the baggage hold because of the battery. Also, how can you take a chance that a device your life depends on may end up is some other destination. My problem is that neither my wife or I can lift the machine into the overhead even if there is room. Don't forget when you have a PD catheter you are limited as the weight you can carry without risking a hernia. My limit is 12-15 lbs. So the cycler goes under the seat in front of us. Travelling is more difficult with a cycler,
but don't stop. We are going on a Columbia river cruise in two weeks.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »