I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 09:33:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  What rules are you breaking today, in the name of living?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What rules are you breaking today, in the name of living?  (Read 5750 times)
onestronglittlelady

« on: May 18, 2011, 10:16:08 PM »

I finished my last test, for my Associate Degree in Business Management. Even though I don't know if I will graduate, (I might have to retake one class). I am celebrating I made it this far, considering all the health challenges. Since there is no Jack or Coke in the house, I am having a Pepsi. The pizza is on the way! Good thing they don't take Labs at dialysis until next week.

There are so many rules to living while on dialysis, I'm sure there are others that have that special treat once and awhile to keep their sanity. I would love to hear what rules are broken. I might even find some I don't even know about yet.
Alisa

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 10:45:35 PM »

wonders what isn't a rule?

PD since 2005
Waiting for transplant
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 06:01:42 AM »

oh lol, my husband breaks all the rules with the diet. He says he would be eating only cardboard if he didn't lol. He has been in the hospital a few times because of this. I'll bet a lot of people will say their dietary treats. But if you do follow the food rules generaly, I think a treat is ok once on a while.Just don't get carried away ...lol  I wish you the best of luck with tat test

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
ESRD Survivor

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:54:50 AM »

I don't follow a strict renal diet, it's no fun and after all life is about living it well.  That being said, dialysis does cut into some of that.  If they have given you binders for your phosphorus, make sure you take them when having a Pepsi and pizza.  I usually take an extra binder if I am having that combo.  My phosphorus is a tad high, so I don't drink a lot of cola drinks anymore, however, my husband drinks them so I will have a few sips of his once and awhile.  Enjoy it without guilt.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 07:10:50 AM »

yeah,
 The food is a MAJOR problem on dialysis. I am doing a thing at the moment, well this month and last month. Im going to Germany in June. And I am making myself NOT cheat until I get to Germany. That is going to be my treat after not cheating. It is nearly impossible to not cheat. I cant believe it. Anything that is made from scratch is almost the only real way to avoid cheating, and that is hard. I normally would pig out right after labs, well Im not pigging out at all.
 You know if they take labs on the 1st, then on the second I will have a pizza, the 3rd a bowl of ice cream, the 4th something else naughty, so by the 6th and the 10th of the month, I go back to my diet of eating only meat and nothing that is yummy. lol. This has pretty much worked for me because the pizza, and ice cream has pretty much been out of my system by the following month. I am only on 2 Renvella a meal and have this same prescription since starting dialysis and my phos is never higher then 5.5.
 Other then food, I can be bad (being honest here) with PD. I have missed a exchange here and there.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »

What is Jack??

Chilie was my latest sin.           :stressed;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:01:01 AM »

What is Jack??

Chilie was my latest sin.           :stressed;

Jack Daniels -- my favorite!

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 11:20:47 AM »

I have the sweetest, most juicy navel orange tree, and every now and then I squeeze a bunch of oranges and have the best tasting orange juice in the world, but always the day after my lab draw.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »

We eat pretty much anything we want! Yes even sweets.  We just don't overdue things is the secret.  Hubby has fairly good labs every time!  We are so thankful for that!  We know that they say not to do this or do that!  We also know that it is in his best interest!!

We do the best we can without overdoing things!  Yeap, he cheats sometimes!!!!!!!!! :oops;

lmunchkin       :flower;
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:03:30 PM by lmunchkin » Logged

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »

I have been pushing it with the fluid restriction! I just missing drinking so much!!! Aaron use to tell me during my transplant days, "You like to drink all your calories!!!" Man I sure do!!! Trying not to go over 3 liters between dialysis treatments!

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
jackiemich

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 05:19:57 PM »

I just enjoyed a nice, large, frosty strawberry daquiri.  Quite delicious!
calypso

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2011, 06:01:40 AM »

Can't break any rules if there aren't any. I have no diet restrictions whatsoever. I can eat, drink anything I want and my labs are always fine. Last blood test pre D phosphorous level was 4.5

It's great doing hemo 6 nights a week. If you can do it, I highly recommend it.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2011, 06:40:12 AM »

...he would be eating only cardboard if he didn't lol...

Just about accurate txstyle! They had my brother on a renal diet (just because that's what they put renal patients on) while he was in the hospital - cardboard and shredded newspaper. We could have filled the room with all of the plain rice with nothing on it, no gravy, no sauce, no butter, no nothing, that he did not eat.

This morning here at dialysis Rolando had an Egg McMuffin with Hash Browns and an apple juice. A treat at dialysis is always nice. It's Saturday so the dietitian isn't here. It always enhances the experience to see her face turn red as she bites her tongue, forced to hand us a "DaVita Dollar" anyway as a "reward"for good numbers.

Live life!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »

Can't break any rules if there aren't any. I have no diet restrictions whatsoever. I can eat, drink anything I want and my labs are always fine. Last blood test pre D phosphorous level was 4.5

How can you not have any diet restrictions? Are you on home hemo? If you are, then I can see why you dont have any restrictions.

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 09:19:56 PM »

Lillupie, I was born in Germany!  What part of Germany are you going to?

lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
calypso

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 07:15:05 AM »

How can you not have any diet restrictions? Are you on home hemo? If you are, then I can see why you dont have any restrictions.

Lisa

Yes I've been doing home hemo 6 night a week 6 hours a night. It's going really well so far, I hope I can continue doing this as long as possible.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:55:39 PM by calypso » Logged

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »

Dark chocolate is my downfall.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
*kana*

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

I eat whatever I want and my labs are great! 

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »

I drank a bottle of 2001 Chateau Gloria last night, didn't share it with anyone.
 :2thumbsup;

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 07:05:53 AM »

Bratwurst. Oh, how I love BRATWURST!

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 08:33:52 AM »

I fully admit that I just couldn't live with the fluid restrictions.

I tried to stay healthy by exercising on an elliptical machine.  I would finish the exercise dripping in sweat.  And then not to be able to quench my thirst was just murder.  Plus, I have chronic sinusitis and the only way to break up that mucus was to stay hydrated.

However, I managed to cut my sodium intake down to around 800 mg a day.  At that low level, even the little bit of residual kidney function I had left was enough to keep me peeing.  So I survived this way.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »