I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:27:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sodium modeling starting tomorrow - what should I watch out for?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sodium modeling starting tomorrow - what should I watch out for?  (Read 5815 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: May 18, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »

Hello everyone!

I've been having some trouble the last couple of weeks with low BP and nausea at the very end of my treatments.  It got somewhat better when I was given the permission to bring in some water and a protein bar to eat but now the low BP is back - it was getting as low as 90/30 and the staff is having a hard time getting it back up even after returning my blood and giving saline.

At the end of yesterday's treatment, the nurse told my tech that she wants to start sodium modeling with tomorrow's treatment.  I've been doing a little reading on this site and others and see that there are some benefits and drawbacks to sodium modeling.  I definitely want to do everything I can to be able to tolerate a full treatment and not have to drag myself home afterwards.  However, I do see the drawbacks as well.   

Anyone been through sodium modeling?  Anything I should be watching out for? 

Thanks!!!   :thx;
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:17 PM »

How much fluid to do usually have to remove with treatment?   What is your treatment run time and blood pump speed?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:20:58 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »

They didn't change mine much, but they accidentally left it set much higher once.  I left very, very thirsty!  Not a good thing for someone on fluid restrictions, so be careful of going overboard with fluid.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »

It may help you.  They have various models.  Ask which one you are going to try first and keep track of which ones help and which ones don't.  They SHOULD keep track for you, but do it yourself if you want it done right.

Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »

What is "sodium modeling"?

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »

A setting on the D machine to adjust how much sodium is added during treatment.  If you have low bp, it can help stabilize it during the run so you don't crash and have to have too much saline dumped back on you.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

greg10

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:06 PM »

At the end of yesterday's treatment, the nurse told my tech that she wants to start sodium modeling with tomorrow's treatment.  I've been doing a little reading on this site and others and see that there are some benefits and drawbacks to sodium modeling.  I definitely want to do everything I can to be able to tolerate a full treatment and not have to drag myself home afterwards.  However, I do see the drawbacks as well...
You can read a big long article about sodium modeling with HD, usually under the heading SVS (sodium variation system), but perhaps all you need to know is the last sentence after all that discussion, which I quote:
"SVS should always be balance neutral and may not be necessary with longer or more frequent treatments. "

In my opinion this is such a hack in order to justify doing short thrice weekly dialysis without causing intradialytic hypotension.  If you must do thrice weekly short treatments, especially with high fluid removal (ultrafiltration), then I suppose you should explore this.  Make sure your nurse understand that the sodium modeling should be sodium balance neutral and in a stepped decreasing profile, that is, high dialysate sodium concentrations at the beginning of the treatment and stepped down during the course of the treatment:

"Post dialysis hypotension and early intradialysis hypotension were best attenuated by decreasing, stepped profiles,"

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »

Hello Pat!

On average, I usually have 3 L's removed for each treatment.  My run time is 3.75 hours.  Blood pump speed is 400. 

How much fluid to do usually have to remove with treatment?   What is your treatment run time and blood pump speed?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:11:06 PM »

Thanks Rerun!  I'll make sure to ask.

It may help you.  They have various models.  Ask which one you are going to try first and keep track of which ones help and which ones don't.  They SHOULD keep track for you, but do it yourself if you want it done right.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:25 PM »

Thanks greg!  I actually read this article earlier today which led me to post this LOL 

I am sticking with 3x per week in-center HD right now because I just got officially listed for transplant and have four live donors currently going through testing.  If all of my current potential live donors wash out, then I may start investigating other options.

You can read a big long article about sodium modeling with HD, usually under the heading SVS (sodium variation system), but perhaps all you need to know is the last sentence after all that discussion, which I quote:
"SVS should always be balance neutral and may not be necessary with longer or more frequent treatments. "

In my opinion this is such a hack in order to justify doing short thrice weekly dialysis without causing intradialytic hypotension.  If you must do thrice weekly short treatments, especially with high fluid removal (ultrafiltration), then I suppose you should explore this.  Make sure your nurse understand that the sodium modeling should be sodium balance neutral and in a stepped decreasing profile, that is, high dialysate sodium concentrations at the beginning of the treatment and stepped down during the course of the treatment:

"Post dialysis hypotension and early intradialysis hypotension were best attenuated by decreasing, stepped profiles,"
PatDowns

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:29:11 PM »

BP dropping out and nausea (plus, I'm sure washed out feeling and headache post treatment) are signs that your body is reacting to the large fluid and chemical shifts within such a short period of time.  Before going to sodium modeling, I would suggest asking your nephrologist to up your run time 30 minutes, lower the blood pump a bit to 350 and for you to start coming in with less fluid (<2.3L) to remove. 

No matter what the "optimal dialysis advocates" on here say, at this point in time in center patients are going to have to work within certain constraints mandated by providers.  One of those is shorter dialysis runs.  It is going to be up to you to do as well as possible under those limitations until receiving a transplant.  Watching your diet and fluid restrictions, following medication regimen (including binders), running the maximum time allowed under your facility guidelines for a day shift patient (4.15-4.30 hours should be doable) and running a pump speed that doesn't overly stress your heart should be your goals. 

I wish you the best and hope all four of the live donors will be compatible! 

Hello Pat!

On average, I usually have 3 L's removed for each treatment.  My run time is 3.75 hours.  Blood pump speed is 400. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:52:40 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »

You may also try lowering your dialysate temperature to say 35.5 C.

8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 06:55:10 PM by Zach » Logged

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
PatDowns

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »

Here's a research article backing Zach's suggestion.

http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/1/190.full.pdf

You may also try lowering your dialysate temperature to say 35.5 C.

8)

Dialysis prescription:
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »

Was just reading and 'trying' to understand the "cool dialysate" process.  Soooooo, if we're using pureflo, what would that setting be?  And am i reading right that it is indeed a good thing to do?  Bo, hubby, hates to be cold so we have it rather high, but have lowered to the 15 as of these last couple of runs.(got an alarm 50..Dialysate too warm!!!! )    Have no idea though what each number stands for....  :embarassed:

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 07:55:05 PM »

I use sodium profiling every dialysis treatment, otherwise I will cramp in the middle of it all.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »