I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 05:28:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Why are there not more people on PD versus HD?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why are there not more people on PD versus HD?  (Read 13673 times)
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« on: May 15, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »

I was having a discussion with my Clinic Nurse about this and she's alarmed by how many folks on hemo don't know about PD as an option. I've always wondered that if they are physically viable patients, then why not make the move to PD from in-center hemo? Home hemo I would encourage as well, but I would move anything towards independence as much as possible.

There are quite a few younger people at the hemo clinic that I see from when I walk out of the Home Program building. I see their arms wrapped up in cellophane or gauze after their treatment.

Anyways, my nurse tells me that several nephrologists have put patients right to hemo, be it emergencies or not, and never even put PD on the table as an option. I would think care providers would outline all possible modalities, and let the patient have some input since it is their lives after all.

So why aren't more people going after PD or more home dialysis than in-center? Is it because they don't have to be as pro-active? Do they not know? Physically unable?

I think the ratio of in center HD to PD patients is greater than 10 to 1, and I'd like to see that swing around if possible. I'm just sayin'.

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:42 AM »

50% of ESRD patients in my area are on PD. Maybe that's because I'm in the UK where the medical profession has no financial incentive to increase the proportion of patients on HD.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Trikkechickk

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 09:09:27 AM »

I would not want to have all that fluid dwelling in my gut.
HouseOfDialysis

Search me on Facebook ronaldhouse@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »

I barely notice it, actually. Only if I move too swiftly for my center of balance, that's when I actually notice...

Diagnosed with Alport Syndrome in 2004.
AV fistula surgery June 9th, 2010.
PD Catheter surgery February 7th, 2011.
Began CAPD on February 21st, 2011.
Began CCPD on April 29th, 2011.
On Transplant List since June 2010.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »

I think my neph assumed (correctly) that if I need to go on dialysis, I'd choose PD. The conversation went something like this: Her: "If you need dialysis, you want PD, right?" Me: "Yes." end of discussion.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:50:17 AM »

My doctor did just the opposite...   "when you start Dialysis let me know what clinic you want to go to and we can see if there is a opening....."    My insurance company has classes for pre-dialysis people.. there they talk about all the options....  but not Home Hemo....as they said there was no one who did home hemo.. just PD... after the class I was given a appt to see a surgeon for a fistula and was told that fistulas are the best... when I went in to the surgeon he did ultra sound on my arm ... and never did talk to me about PD...  really no one did...

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 12:12:43 PM »

I am a youngish new Hemo patient.  I do not want to do PD because I don't want to look pregnant (I have always been slender, and do not want to lose that part of my identity) and I do not want to be hooked up to a machine for at least 8 hrs a day *every single day* which to me sounds like hell.  So far, I am doing fine on in center hemo.  I know I am lucky.  My treatments so far have been boring and uneventful, which is just fine with me.  I get to catch up on my reading, which isn't so bad after all.  I have only had labs done a couple of times, and the #'s show that the D is working.  I am getting epo and iron for my anemia, and Zemplar for vitamin D.  The only thing I need to figure out is if I am eating enough protein, but even for being on this less than a month, my alubumin was only slightly below normal.  Not too bad for a newbie!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »

PD does horrible things to diabetics - it messes with their blood sugar and makes them gain huge amounts of weight.  Hemo does neither of those things, which makes hemo a better choice for the majority of diabetic ESRD patients. 

Anyone with abdominal scarring may not qualify for PD, either. 

Plus, don't forget that plenty of people start on PD but end up with repeated infections so that they have to switch to hemo.

You are right, H of D, that part of it is lack of information, though.  Plenty of docs prefer to funnel all their patients into the same path, so the docs don't have to think too hard!  They do love that one-size-fits-all approach.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 12:29:49 PM »

I think it is a shame when patients are not informed of the option of PD or home hemo, but I can think of many reasons why young patients would choose hemo over.

I've done both PD and Hemo, so I can see the pros and cons of each.   The advantages of Hemo is that you get to be free of dialysis whenever you are out of the clinic, so you get four days a week free of dialysis  PD would be difficult for someone who has small children at home that they need to care for.  I found that after I had my daughter, I wanted my home to be a dialysis free zone.   

I was on PD a long time, and is a lot of work, and some people may not want to do that.  Plus, I hated the cycler.  I didn't mind doing the 4 exchanges a day because I was able to work that into my schedule. 

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:46:20 PM »

Medicare's financial incentives are aligned to encourage PD but it has dwindled to a bit more than 7% of the census today (over 90% using incenter, between 1 and 2% using home hemo).

I've heard a lot of explanations as to why but Tyefly's experience is very common. Studies show that when people are told about PD they are much more likely to want to start dialysis using PD. The conditions for coverage require that providers tell people about all treatment options - even ones not offered by that provider - but how that information is conveyed varies a great deal.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »

It's all horses for courses really isn't it?  I realise that things are different in the States, but those younger people you see with their arms wrapped up in gauze may know about PD but be unable to do it/choose not to do it.

My Blokey can't do PD; it just doesn't work for him and we struggled through a couple of emotionally painful and physically challenging months of trying to make it work.  He would love to be able to do PD and I would love for him to be able to do it (although I've made no secret of the fact that I prefer him being on haemoD) if it made him happier/healthier/better.  As it happened, he improved dramatically the moment he started using his fistula.

One of the best things for us is that weekends are dialysis free.

;D

If people aren't being told their options, then yes, something isn't right.  There should always be a choice, if the choice is applicable.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
mykey711

mykey

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »

Well if you read all above, you get the idea. There are pros and cons to both types of dialysis and treatment choices are individulized based on choice, lifestyle, mental disposition, ability, preexisting diseases and surgery, cost, and physician preference. Myself, I am apprehensive about hemodialysis for issues of nausea and vomiting, fluid and diet restrictions, and driving to a boring center 3 days a week. Also the cathetar looks more disfiguring.
The biggest downsides to peritoneal is drain pain and having to stay hooked up for 8 hours at night or late afternoon and evening.
a

I'm a 58 year old Family doctor with Alport's syndrome. I've been on PD for almost a year. I've been on transplant list since May 2010 at three centers, Michigan, Cleveland, and Indiana.  My brother has the same disease and is on his second transplant for about 12 years now.
FindingNeverland

Cancer Survivor/Young Idealist

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 04:30:37 PM »

I did PD nine years ago and last year when I started dialysis it was an emergency situation so I had to start on hemo but I was given the choice to switch later on. Given my past experience, I did not want to do it again. Personally I did not gain any sort of independence from it, I was stuck to a machine all night long and half an hour in the afternoon, which meant I could not go out with friends, I couldn't participate in after school activities, I could spend weekends anywhere, etc. Then there's the pain of setting the machine up each day, writing down my vitals, stuff I don't want to deal with. I also felt too full and would never eat, which drove my mother insane with worry and in turn drove me insane... I know she meant well, it was still aggravating none the less. Also I couldn't hear the machine alarm, I have a hearing problem where I can't hear high pitched noises so my mom invested in a baby monitor, I was 17 at the time, talk about embarrassing when friends came over. The one thing I hated above all was having that stomach catheter, I hate, hate, hated it. So this time around I stuck with hemo, I only do treatment three days a week for three hours, I go in early morning and get out just before noon so I have the rest of the day to go about my business. My weekends are open, I can go out at night, I can pretty much do what I want with no worries of having to be tied down to a machine.   

~*Laughter is the Language of the Soul*~
lawphi

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 04:44:40 PM »

My husband did PD for two years, but developed too much scar tissue after surgery.

We switched to home hemo as soon as possible. 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and thoughts. Very valuable.

Galvo
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »

yeah,
 I think about 90% of those on dialysis are on hemo. Many people i have met at the hemo centers do not know anything about PD as an option. Most places I know dont make a big deal about it or they make it seem like hemo is the ONLY option.

I have been on PD since 2007. I have has two hernia surgeries.  My second surgery was in 2009. Lol, I had 2 cathaters, the permath in the chest, and the PD one, of course. And would you believe my center pushed the hemo so much that they wanted me to get a fistula! I got nagged to get a fistula, and I repeatedly told them "I am NOT staying here on hemo, but going back to PD". They said "oh but you can take the fistula whereever you go". Really? you mean to tell me that I am going to get another surgery for somehting that I may or may not need for years to come?" I mean come on! And I dont regret not getting a fistula for one minute since that. Since then I have been on PD wihtout a problem. No need for a fistula. (that was just a side story). Can you believe that? lol

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:57:41 PM »

Information on all dialysis options should be made available to people and they should have a choice.  PD does not work for everybody and even if it does work at the beginning there is no guarantee that it will keep working (hubby's worked for 2 1/2 years).  Not everybody wants the body chjange that goes with PD or the fact that they are responsible for the treatments and have to ahve the supplies in their home.  Same goes for home hemo. You are responsible for the treatments and having the supplies in your home.  Some people don't want that.  Some people have to do in center because of medical reasons.  You should be informed of all options and make the best decision with your dialysis team as to what is best for you.

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 08:15:21 PM »

you have to take which option your neph advises/suggests will give the best outcomes.
me was always haemo, pkd ,kidneys were 27/28 centimetres huge.
the bonus for was knowing 3 times a week i had to go to my volunteer job for 5/6 hours ,
not having to worry exchange here,there and everywhere.
not to mention the risks of infection with PD

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »

when I was diagnosed and given the options in the hospital if I wanted PD or Hemo I did not know anything betwen the 2. They gave me little information and the only question I could come up with is Can I still go swimming? That's how I made my decision, but after joining here I still thik I made the correct one even though I was going to school and was active riding my bike or walking to dialysis. The thing is I would not have the room for all the supplies and do not care for the tube coming out of my abdomen. I think I like it or feel better when someone else is monitoring and doing something like this on me when I have no support at home. I will go back on hemo when the time comes.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
lawphi

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »

House-  have you called CMC Charlotte and Wake Forest about listing yet? 

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 10:13:38 PM »

All the reasons why I don't want to do PD...

1)don't want a catheter in my stomach...too vain for that.

2)with my type of autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease I have other internal organs affect by the disease so, PD is not a good option for me.

3) I don't really want to do dialysis everyday...it is already such a mentally draining disease having to deal with it everyday no thanks

4) Don't want to turn my house into a hospital

5)Don't want to turn my significant other into a nurse

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 01:51:41 AM »

Here in Oz you are offered a choice and both options are explained in some detail including training classes. The doctors recommend PD as a first preference and warn that it has some drawbacks such as scarring and infection. In my case I didn't get past the surgeon who spotted a hernia and directed me to the HD fall back.
Based on my experience of CKD I'd suggest to anyone starting down the same path to try PD first because it certainly lets you live a nearly normal life and go to HD as a fall back solution.
I'm assuming those choices are available to you as they are in Oz.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 05:34:22 AM »

Well for us, with other medical complications I kinda like the fact that my husband sees a nurse at D sessions, and he sees the Dr. as well. Kinda like "extra protecion" lol. I know a lot of people seem to wonderful on PD and that is great. I guess it's good to have all the types of options available for what ever suits your need best.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »

2)with my type of autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease I have other internal organs affect by the disease so, PD is not a good option for me.

5)Don't want to turn my significant other into a nurse
[/quote]

What does number 2 mean? How would other internal organs have anything to do with you doing PD?

I think Pd is the only home choice that you can do alone, and noone else in the house has to deal with it, or needs to help you.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2011, 06:05:50 AM »

Here in Oz you are offered a choice and both options are explained in some detail including training classes. The doctors recommend PD as a first preference and warn that it has some drawbacks such as scarring and infection. In my case I didn't get past the surgeon who spotted a hernia and directed me to the HD fall back.
Based on my experience of CKD I'd suggest to anyone starting down the same path to try PD first because it certainly lets you live a nearly normal life and go to HD as a fall back solution.
I'm assuming those choices are available to you as they are in Oz.

I completely agree. Start with PD, and especially if you have residual kidney function left. PD helps keep the residual kidney function longer then hemo.  THat sucks about your surgeon and your hernia. You could of got the hernia fixed before going on PD. Oh well. Ive had two hernia surgeries since starting dialysis. But atleast I got a taste of hemo, and a break from doing dialysis every single day.

Lisa

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »