I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:51:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  Introduction
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 3798 times)
Yumaguy

« on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:49 AM »

My name is Mike, and I'm a male living in Yuma, Arizona.   For years I've been diagnosed with chronic kidney disease.   In early 2010, my kidney function dropped to 17% and my kidney doctor  asked me what kind of dialysis I wanted to have.  My reply was "NONE".  She had me visit a dialysis center, which I did with my wife.  We were horrified with what we saw in both the hemo and the peritoneal dialysis.  There was nothing about either one I wanted anything to do with.  I decided to do anything I could think of to avoid it.  I first sought kidney regeneration and to be part of any clinical trial that would grow me a new kidney.  I also sought out living donors for a kidney transplant.  Most of all, I took personal responsibility for my health, changed my nutrition and exercise to something much more kidney friendly.  By August my kidney function was 12 percent.  By January 2011 it was 7 percent and creatinine was nearly 9 percent.  But unlike most people in that condition, my diet and exercise program avoided all of the complications and left me at goal weight for a transplant, and I was stronger than ever.  I walked 7 miles every other day, lifted weights frequently, did yoga, acupuncture, anything I could think of.  One of my firends became a donor.  She was approved in Feb. 2011.  We had our transplant in April 2011.  My transplant is doing just fine.  It was done at the Mayo Clinic Hospital in Scottsdale, AZ
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

Hi, Yuma Mike!

It sounds like you educated yourself and took a proactive role that WORKED! Congratulations.

My husband knew that dialysis was coming for many years and incorporated many delaying measures. He still ended up doing dialysis (at home with NxStage) for a bit more than 2.5 years before getting a kidney.

Welcome to IHD!

:welcomesign;

Aleta
PS. I visited Yuma back in the early 80s to teach a course in the middle of the summer. How many ways can you spell "hot"?

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 04:43:43 PM »

G'day, Mike, and  :welcomesign;:ausflag;.

Galvo
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:53:22 AM »

Welcome to the group, Mike.  What a great introduction.  Your friend gave you a real gift.  Keep us posted on how everything is going.  Glad you found us!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »

Hi Mike and welcome to IHD.  You are hilarious!  You hated dialysis before you even tried it!  Way to go!  I hope your new kidney lasts a lifetime!

I hope you find support here!

Rerun, Moderator       :welcomesign;

lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »

Way to go, Yumaguy!  You did the necessary changes to at least prolong it!  Dialysis is not pretty for sure, but for some it is a necessity!  Congrats on your transplant and doing so well with your health!

lmunchkin     :flower;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »