I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Are patients bound by HIPAA?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are patients bound by HIPAA?  (Read 4771 times)
JasonEb

« on: May 13, 2011, 11:47:09 PM »

Are patients in a dialysis unit bound by HIPAA, as in do the patients have to follow the same HIPAA regulations that healthcare providers do?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:15 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by your question. 

To me, there is zero privacy in a dialysis unit.  We have to discuss our medical issues with the staff out in the open during our treatment.  You would think that with all of the HIPPA rules in place, this would no longer be the case, but it doesn't seem to be.  It's one of my pet peeves about in-center HD.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:58:45 AM »

If you mean are we required to keep our mouths shut about what we over-hear, the answer is no. 

Dialysis isn't the only place with issues about patient privacy, though.  I love how whenever I go for surgery, we're all lined up in a row, with only the curtains between us, and families and friends waiting with patients.  Then in pops a nurse, who wants to know your name, addy, SS#, telephone, and insists that you tell her exactly what procedure you are there for, so she can be sure you understand what you are signing permission for.

If there was anything that was actually private, I wouldn't have the very distinct memory of the male patient several beds down yelping, "You have to shave where?!"

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

noahvale
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:43:44 AM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:54:28 AM by noahvale » Logged
JasonEb

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 03:06:41 AM »

Thanks for the answers.  I probably needed to be a bit more specific.

Am I allowed to take notes at the unit, either about my own treatment or observations made around the treatment floor?

Am I allowed to take pictures?

This is with the assumption that there is no specific unit policy about the matter...I am just wondering if this is a HIPAA violation if a patient does these things.

Thanks again for all the great answers!
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 03:48:08 AM »

You can take notes either about your treatment or what you see happening in the unit.  However, you better be extremely careful if you see something not right happening to another patient.  DO NOT use that patent's name.  Refer to him/her as "the patient in Station #1 on Friday, May 13...."  If you do not know the Station #, but do know the machine number, say "the patient on machine #3 - 3 rd one from the door on the right as you look into the treatment area..."  Machines are moved around, station #s remain constant.

Taking photos is not allowed, especially if other patients/staff members are in them.  The large chains all have this provision in their rules and regulations form.  The rationale is for patient confidentiality.  However, it is really to protect the facility from having visual corroboration of a problem.   Contact your regional ESRD Network for clarification.

I'm assuming you are having quality of care issues with the facility.  Have you taken them up with the administrator and the medical director? 

Thanks for the answers.  I probably needed to be a bit more specific.

Am I allowed to take notes at the unit, either about my own treatment or observations made around the treatment floor?

Am I allowed to take pictures?

This is with the assumption that there is no specific unit policy about the matter...I am just wondering if this is a HIPAA violation if a patient does these things.

Thanks again for all the great answers!

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »

I took pics of myself in the unit - to add to the post I had going on here about my first day.  But it was just of me. 

To be technical - you taking pics of other patients wouldn't violate HIPPA.  The clinic letting you do so would mean THEY were violating the policy.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

lawphi

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:09:18 PM »

Jbeany- you would be a darn good attorney.....

Girl meets boy with transplant, falls in love and then micromanages her way through the transplant and dialysis industry. Three years, two transplant centers and one NxStage machine later, boy gets a kidney at Johns Hopkins through a paired exchange two months after evaluation.  Donated kidney in June and went back to work after ten days.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 07:10:04 PM »

If there was anything that was actually private, I wouldn't have the very distinct memory of the male patient several beds down yelping, "You have to shave where?!"
[/quote]

:rofl; :clap; too funny

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

Jbeany- you would be a darn good attorney.....

Working on a paralegal certificate - close enough!

JasonEb

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 11:13:09 AM »

I'm assuming you are having quality of care issues with the facility.  Have you taken them up with the administrator and the medical director? 

Actually the issue is I'm being accused of taking pictures (which I've never done), and taking notes of other patints machines (whereas I've only ever taken notes about my own treatment) BY the administration.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 04:49:56 PM »

Ask them to prove it.  Innocent until proven guilty last I looked.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »