I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 11:50:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  What is the Difference Between Disability and Medicare?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the Difference Between Disability and Medicare?  (Read 5714 times)
beachbum

« on: May 10, 2011, 11:04:35 PM »

I am still confused. I have read 100's of posts and still have no idea what anyone is talking about. My situation is that I have insurance (thank god) and I live in MA so my wife's insurance can't deny me because of our univeral health care laws here. I'm all set with the insurance. My co-pays aren't bad. But my wife is working two jobs and we are still struggling. I've been out of work since October. The main reason I can't work is because of swelling in my ankles and feet (I take Norvasc since it's about the only bp medicine that seems to work but my ankles get really swollen, to the point they hurt.) I also get extreme fatigue and have trouble concentrating. Some days are better than others but this makes it challenging to hold a steady job. Not to mention finding a job that will be flexible enough so I can still make all my doctor appointments.

My question is, what is the difference? I understand once I start dialysis I'll get Medicare, I'm opting for PD. That's great but what about financial help? I've been denied twice already trying to get SSI so I finally contacted a lawyer but am I doing this for nothing? If I already have great insurance should I just give up the social security route for now and try to find a way to make money from home or get a job and deal with my symptoms? Has anyone else been down this road?

Lastly, if I do work from home, what are some legit ways to make a little bit of money? I do have a lot of time, a computer, and a spare bedroom for storage. I figure I can find a way to make a buck. I just don't want to get scammed and my wife and I don't have a lot of money to invest in a business right now. I'm not trying to get rich quick. Just looking for some sort of start so I can help her.
beachbum

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 11:06:08 PM »

Oops. I am sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I though this was a general FAQ. I'm not quite on dialysis yet.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »

Social Security Disability is not the same as Medicare at all.  I had SS disability long before I was on Medicare.   Medicare is medical insurance only.  (And you still have to go through the forms to apply, even though Medicare is a given for ESRD patients.)  Disability payments are monthly payments directly to you based on your work history, and have already been paid for out of your taxes that you have paid in all your life.  You should have a report from SS that arrives every year telling you how much you will get in monthly payments.  Applying for disability is a pain the neck, since they turn down EVERYONE the first time.  (One of my internal med doc's patients was turned down his first time after a applying due to injuries cause by a car accident.  He was paralyzed from the collarbone down, and could barely move his fingers, and they still turned him down.)  But the amount they will pay is retroactive to the date you first applied, so even if it takes a year to get through the appeal, you will get a check for all your back payments. 

Do you have a doctor who is willing to back you up in writing that you can't work?  Without that, it's going to be very hard to get through the appeal.

I supplemented my disability income from home by making and selling crafts.  You need to consider what your talents are, though.  What interests you that you might be able to turn into a home business?   

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »