I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 03:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  low BP dizzy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: low BP dizzy  (Read 2499 times)
texasstyle
Elite Member

« on: May 08, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »

I'm not sure what is going on here but my husband the last 2 weeks or so is dizzy all the time it seems especially when he bends over. His numbers right now are good, but his BP has been lowish. I'm wondering if he is filling w/ some water around the heart again. Mild edama in my  feet, but nothing too swollen. Average take off of fluid is about 12 lbs per session. I'm wondering if anyone else deals with low BP/dizziness a lot and what you do to help it. Thanks..

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »

Do you really mean 12 lbs per session?  im figuring 1.2 kg's ? 

I do know lo blood pressure can be a cause of dizzy and if your taking off bunches, that very well coud be it?

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:26 PM »

12 lb that's 5½ litres. I couldn't stand that; the most I've ever had taken off in one session is 3½litres, an experience I wouldn't want to repeat. No wonder he's getting KO'd.

Maybe he's a big bloke — if he's well over 200lb maybe he could stand it. I'm 170lb.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
greg10

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »

I'm not sure what is going on here but my husband the last 2 weeks or so is dizzy all the time it seems especially when he bends over. His numbers right now are good, but his BP has been lowish. I'm wondering if he is filling w/ some water around the heart again. Mild edama in my  feet, but nothing too swollen. Average take off of fluid is about 12 lbs per session. I'm wondering if anyone else deals with low BP/dizziness a lot and what you do to help it. Thanks..
I am sorry to hear that.  12 lb of fluid is 5.5 kg (or 5.5 liter) and is quite a lot.  Assuming this is HD and the patient is fairly heavy, say 220 lb (100 kg), the UF (ultrafiltration rate) limit should be 100 kg x 0.01 L /kg/hr or 1 liter /hr.  That means if the dialysis session is less than 5.5 hour, more likely 6+ hrs, you are already exceeding the patient's UF limit and the patient will suffer the consequences of too fast fluid removal.  If the patient is less than 100kg, the UF rate limit should be even lower.

Please try to limit salt and fluid intake and ask them to limit UF rate to 10 ml / kg /hr or below.

Newbie caretaker, so I may not know what I am talking about :)
Caretaker for my elderly father who has his first and current graft in March, 2010.
Previously in-center hemodialysis in national chain, now doing NxStage home dialysis training.
End of September 2010: after twelve days of training, we were asked to start dialyzing on our own at home, reluctantly, we agreed.
If you are on HD, did you know that Rapid fluid removal (UF = ultrafiltration) during dialysis is associated with cardiovascular morbidity?  http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=20596
We follow a modified version: UF limit = (weight in kg)  *  10 ml/kg/hr * (130 - age)/100

How do you know you are getting sufficient hemodialysis?  Know your HDP!  Scribner, B. H. and D. G. Oreopoulos (2002). "The Hemodialysis Product (HDP): A Better Index of Dialysis Adequacy than Kt/V." Dialysis & Transplantation 31(1).   http://www.therenalnetwork.org/qi/resources/HDP.pdf
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »

ohh..... I think I get it now, with that amount of fluid being removed in a normal time session, it would considered too fast and I'm starting to understand. I don't why this hit me all the sudden. Thanks Greg for the way you said it. Yes Boswife, it is 12 lbs. He thinks that's just a-ok...

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

Pulling off too much fluid during a session can tend to lower BP during and at the end of the session leading to cramp and crash, but if his BP is low outside of D times, there's probably something else going on. Yes some fluid collecting around the heart and lungs may cause an issue like that if it's restricting the flow somehow, but it could also push it up (indeed my untrained mind would have thought too much fluid overload would raise BP, but everyone's different).

Really though 5+ kilos on between sessions is not good in anyone's language. Is his mom giving him 2L bottles of coke again??!! Honestly it's a worry that he seems to think that is an OK amount to put on.

Believe me, I *know* how difficult it is to restrict those fluids while on D (and for the record, once trained to do it, it's just as hard to remember to drink more now sometimes!). However just letting it collect up in the system puts extra strain on the heart and lungs and that's a stress an already taxed body full of toxins just doesn't need.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Bruno

TOFF (typical old Fart)

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 03:20:52 AM »

Another way to lower his dizziness and get that 5 litre fluid removal goal per session down would be to increase the session frequency. My method is to never have more than one day between sessions, if I go two days I get into all sorts of trouble simply because my fluid removal goal becomes too high (I consider 3 litres plus excessive) and that means dizziness, low blood pressure, passing out and cramps.
I'm a big bloke as well, 108 kg (220 lbs plus).
billmoria

Living life to my max

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 06:23:23 PM »

I am a big guy (314) and can stand taking off more liquid than most. However, 4 liters is the maximum my center will take off. I did take off 4.5 in a Davita in Florida but I will never do that again. My center will not let you go home with low BP. Feeling dizzy is a prime clue that you have low BP.
I am afraid that lowering you liquid intake is the only answer. No one like it but it is the plain truth.
I came in on Monday (I do M-W-F twilight) 5l over. I don't usually do that bad. We took off 4 and I was 1.1 over my dry weight. I was careful Tue and Wed and when I came in tonight I was 3l over. At the end of tonight I was .3 below my dry weight.
Genrally, the less you take off the better you feel and CONTROL  of INTAKE is the answer.

WMoriarty
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »

well, yesterday they took off 15 and yes it is on in between days. I think we need to make an appt. with heartdoc again. This gets tiring....

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »