I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 08, 2024, 11:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Parathyroid removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Parathyroid removal  (Read 1691 times)
Heymike

« on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »

Hi everybody,
I'm having my parathyroid glands removed soon as they have gone out of control. I've had very high levels the past couple of months.  I tried sensipar, not much help.  My doctor thinks this is the best thing to do. I would like to hear for those of you that have had this done.  Did it make you feel better?  I sure hope so I need some relief.  My symptoms are really bad joint pain mostly.   Any input would be greatly appreciated.     Thanks Mike

The most fundamental thing about understanding is...Understanding that you don't understand.
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:12:57 AM »

Hi Mike,

My brother had his removed about 3 years ago (after trying sensipar, which also didn't help him). He had bone pain and got almost immediate relief after the operation. He had had a broken leg that really didn't start healing (more than a year later) until the parathyroids were removed.

Benefits:
- The end of bone pain!
- Protection against osteoporosis and the extreme quality of life issues it can cause - if this has already begun to develop in you (and be assured that it has for anyone with a very high pth), the calcium will start returning to your bones after surgery. You will be put on calcium for awhile after the surgery to address "hungry bone syndrome" as your bones begin to rebuild themselves.
- (This one is just our observation - it became easier to control my brother's phosporus level. I'm not really sure why.)

Best wishes for the surgery!

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
Heymike

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:33:34 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I had similar input from another D patient.  It doesn't sound like there's much down side.  Glad to hear your brother benefited and I'm looking foward to getting it done.  Thanks again...Mike

The most fundamental thing about understanding is...Understanding that you don't understand.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »